Feb
2013

Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches

Tags: ,

Cookies

A couple weeks ago, my family had lunch at Boudin Sourdough Cafe and I got the most beautiful Valentine Cookies that I posted on Instagram HERE.  I had to re-create them at home for us!  Mine are not as fancy, but they are completely buttery delicious and tastes nearly identical if I do say so myself!

You only need a few ingredients to create these perfectly adorable Valentine cookies so let’s get started :)

You start with butter, sugar and brown sugar.

Perfect.

Beat until light and fluffy like this.

Add your flour and salt to the bowl.

There we go.  Let’s roll it out.

Find some heart cookie cutters in your supply.  I used a 3 inch and then a 1 inch to create these cookies.

Transfer them to your baking sheet.

Use a spreadable jam of your choice for the 3 inch cookie shapes.

Perfect, now time to bake!

While the cookies are baking, make the icing.  All you need is powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream.

The icing should be nice and thick, but spreadable just like this.

Once the cookies are cool enough to handle, place the heart centered cookie on top of the solid heart jam covered cookies.  Make sure you spread jam on the inside of the small hearts and top with icing.  They make the cutest mini heart sandwiches like I made last night on Instagram HERE.

Spread with icing and sprinkle with your favorite sprinkles :)

Aren’t they pretty?!  So great to share for Valentine’s Day for your family, friends, teachers….anyone!

Can’t wait for you to try these!

Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches

Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches 7t Ingredients

• 2 sticks/1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup spreadable jam
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 jar sprinkle balls

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper. Place butter, sugars, flour and salt into stand mixer, mix until well combined and dough forms. Transfer to a parchment lined countertop and roll to about 1/4 inch thick round. Use heart cookie cutters to form cookies and transfer to baking sheet.  Spread a thin layer of jam on only the whole hearts.  Freeze sheet of cookies for 10 minutes before baking. This helps the cookies hold their heart shape.
  2. Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. I like to spread another light layer of jam over the warm cookies that had jam already, this helps the cookies stick together nicely.
  3. Place powdered sugar and cream into a bowl, whisking to combine. Add additional cream to desired icing consistency. Frost over cooled cookies and sprinkle with sprinkles. Make sure to use the mini heart shapes to make cookie sandwiches. Sandwich with jam then top with icing. Enjoy!

Makes 10-12 3 inch cookies plus little heart centers

Comments

Sibylle says:

lovely cookies! Happy Valentine’s week!! :-))
    Greetings from Stuttgart/Germany
    Sibylle

lisatberry says:

They look like a Linzer cookie, which is my all time favorite

Jenny they’re beautiful! You have more patience than I do, but clearly, they’re worth it!

What a gorgeous cookie! These are perfect for Valentine’s Day!

These are stunning, Jenny! I love the sound of that combo preserve you used!

Heidi @foodiecrush says:

I would have to say these are indeed fancy, and look divinely buttery and flakey, my favorite cookie.

I want that jam!! Strawberry & raspberries sound so perfect together. I love these shortbread cookies – they’re just way too cute and super festive :)

Jenny! These are so perfect and pretty! That strawberry/raspberry filling sounds amazing, too!!!

Fanny says:

But where did the little hearts disepeared ?

I love jam and shortbread…add some icing to that and you have the perfect cookie!

these are beautiful – i think they are perfect! So dainty!

So cute and (I can tell) tender and flavorful! This is MY kind of cookie. :)

Sadie says:

I think the only thing that can make shortbread better is to add some jam and put it in the shape of a heart. I love it! I definitely look for any reason to make things in the shape of a heart this time of year!

naomi says:

Jenny, these are so cute and look delicious!

Amanda says:

I need to start with that pink mixer and glass bowl! Love it. And then I will make these and eat ALL of them. #justsayin #nosharing

They look so tender and perfect!

I’ve never seen such a perfect looking Valentine cookie!

Marie in Va says:

Sooooo Cute!!

Oh these are beautiful!!!
    Perfect for every “love” in our lives!
    Thanks for the share and your photos are gorgeous!

All my heart,
    Deborah xo

Terri C says:

These are beautiful ! Your mixer is too love that color, and the straws are darling! Happy V Day :).

Such a sweet cookie for , I bet, very sweet valentines! I like that mixer, too!

Gaby says:

Girl! These are so gorgeous!

marla says:

Jenny, these are such lovely cookies for Valentines Day!

laura says:

great valentines day cookies very nice
    you can text for free at

Chels R. says:

THESE are so darling! My kids would love em!

Joanne says:

These look adorable and very tasty.

I just tried to make them following your written recipe at the bottom of the page, instead of looking at the pictures and instructions in the blog post (thinking that was an abbreviated version of the recipe that would help me not get greasy fingers on my iPad). The line where you said “Place butter, sugars, flour and salt into stand mixer, mix until well combined and dough forms” I took literally. Now I need to throw it out because obviously all that does is create a dust that will not adhere, not a dough. Just a warning not to follow the written recipe card (or that perhaps it needs to be updated to be a little more specific about creaming butter with sugar first etc.)

We’re looking forward to eating them, so my little guys and I are going to try it again the other way. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joanne says:

Okay, so a little update: I didn’t throw the dry dough out, I just mixed a bit of heavy cream in with it and it binded it together very nicely. The cookies turned out great! They’re cute and very delicious. Highly recommend.

• Orla says:

Joanne, thanks so much for commenting here! I made the same mistake as you! I was making these for my sister’s engagement party (they went down a storm!) But made the same mistake. I was so flustered and upset but I saw your comment and regained some composure! I didn’t have any cream so I added an egg instead. It bound the ingredients together perfectly and everybody loved the cookies!

My Valentine would LOVE these little cookie sandwiches! They’re precious!

They’re beautiful! They would make the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for a girlfriend or mom. I appreciate the patience that this type of cookie requires!

So perfect for Valentine’s Day! Adorable.

DJ says:

So fabulous! Where did you get your jam?

These are so cute, Jenny! The jam on them looks sooo good too!

Deemarie says:

I will be making them with my little Princess for Valentines Day. I told her and She is excited. We made Linzer cookies like this for Christmas.

Ashley says:

These cookies are adorable and look so tasty! I would like to know where you got that jam from, it sounds yummy! Thank you!

Nancy L. says:

These are so pretty. Perfect for a wedding!

Kayla says:

The dough just seems dry. I had to squish it together with my fingers and it came together perfect. I made two logs and wrapped them and now they’re in the freezer, I think they’ll be great slice and bakes.

I made these for my husband on Valentines day and he absolutely loved them! Thank you! I only had a 2in heart cutter so I want to make them again, but bigger. My husband would eat 4-5 cookies at a time they were so yummy, haha.

[…] Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches […]