Feb
2013

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Banana Muffins

Tags: , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Had so much fun developing these sweet and chocolatey dulce de leche banana muffins.  The boys and I munched on these all afternoon last week.  When you’ve got some bananas ready for baking, I hope you’ll remember these bad boys.

Grab your favorite mixing bowl and let’s make some muffins!

IMG_7523

Your ingredient line-up.  Think my bananas were ready?  Lol :)

Cream your butter and sugar.

There we go!

Add your mashed bananas.

A splash of vanilla.

Your prepared dulce de leche and egg.  I used THIS brand of dulce de leche and highly recommend it.  It’s equally as good eaten with a spoon right out of the jar.

Some flour and cocoa powder.

Mini chocolate chips!

For the love of this batter!

How perfectly adorable are these baking cups?  I ordered them from my friend Natalie’s Etsy Shop.  Check her out for all kinds of fun party supplies.

Fill your cups 3/4 full and bake!

Yum!  Time to dig in.

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Banana Muffins

Dulce de Leche Chocolate Banana Muffinsby Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup prepared dulce de leche
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 medium over ripe bananas
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add mashed bananas, dulce de leche, vanilla and egg. Mix to combine. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. Mix to combine.
  3. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full with batter and bake for 18-22 minutes or until baked through. Let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy.

Makes 12-14 Servings

Comments

I love anything with dulce de leche but add bananas and I am all over it! Beautiful photos and lovely recipe as always Jenny!

Lynna says:

These sound delicious! I adore dulche de leche! :)

I love the pretty yellow cups, Jenny! And all those mini choc chips! I love banana bread in any way, shape or form..and with dulce de leche, how delish!

Samantha says:

Sugar, chocolate, and butter. Perfect breakfast food. :) Are those muffin cups paper or some other kind of material?

These look delicious! I also love the muffin cups. Can’t wait to check out the rest of the stuff in the etsy shop. Seems like I’m always in the process of planning the next birthday party!

Amanda says:

I want these NOW!!! How stinkin gorgeous and delicious! :)

Kim McCallie says:

I love the use of the baking cups. I have tons of them that I’ve ordered from Pick Your Plum where they’re considered nut cups. I’ve never used them for anything, but had to have them!!! I like the idea of baking with them. So much prettier and sturdier than regular cupcake liners. The muffins sound delicious. I already love chocolate and bananas together and dulce de leche can only make them better.

Those look incredible! I love the cute little muffin cups too :)

Okay so I was already totally down with chocolate and banana muffins for breakfast, but dulce de leche?! Whole new level. These look divine (and those muffin cups are so cheery and cute).

Dulce de leche would add an amazing flavour to these muffins!

Brian says:

An afternoon treat or a decadent breakfast (for us adults ;-)). This looks so wonderful!

I honestly sometimes hope for overripe bananas to bake with but it rarely happens anymore with 3 hungry kids around! These are the perfect way to wake up and get going. I might have to hide a few bananas to make something soon. :)

Lovely! I would give my left arm for one of these this morning–looks so good!

marla says:

All these flavors sound amazing in one amazing muffin! Hope you are doing great Jenny! XO

These muffins look amazing. And those cute little baking cups? How adorable are those cuties!?!

Great morning treat!

the cupcake liners are too cute!

What a unique muffin, and they look perfectly cute too – I love it!

Francesca says:

These sound lovely, and the baking cupcakes are lovely too. Please could I ask where you got them from? Thank you.

Gorgeous! The dulce de leche is the perfect addition!

Emily says:

Oh my these look amazing!!! Cannot wait for some overripe bananas!!

these look so good!! i love the dulce de leche in these – very unique and a great addition! they’re so puffy and look so moist :)

What an amazing recipe! Can’t wait to try these and to visit your friend’s etsy shop – adorable!

These sound amazing, I love banana and chocolate so why not add some dulce de leche too?! I will definitely be making these! :D

naomi says:

Jenny-this are crazy awesome. I love bananas and dulce de leche combined. WOW.

Wow. YUM! I love anything banana flavored and you’ve got a genius with this pairing.

How fabulous would it be to wake up to a batch of these muffins! Love dulce de leche!

The dulce de leche in these is such a fabulous idea! They look amazing!

Fabulous! This looks wonderful.

This is a win-win-win combo. And I’m with you, that brand of dulce de leche is awesome.

I need those bright, cheery baking cups in my life.

Melissa says:

I want to make these! Banana chocolate chip is one of my favorite muffins. I can only imagine how amazing that combo is with dulce de leche! YUM!

JulieD says:

So cute, I love these!! Banana anything honestly. :)

Looks so sweet … Just want one for coffee.

Lovely little muffins! Those festive yellow liners are so cute, too!

Kathryn says:

I just put a batch into he oven! I used Trader Joe’s Fleur de Del Caramel Sauce instead of your Dulce de Lecher. They sure do smell delightful!

[...] did a little baking, making a variation of these dulce de leche chocolate banana muffins minus the chocolate but plusing some very liquid vanilla buttercream. With some a couple [...]

Penny says:

Where did you buy that dulce de leche?

Fayeabell says:

I tried this just now….Its delish!!! My little girl place some sprinkles on top and she just devoured it!! My muffins turned too dark maybe its the cocoa powder i used but it was yummy!!! Thanks for sharing :)

i love that super overripe banana! it was wonderful to see you at todd/diane’s party – even though we didn’t get to talk i have always loved your site and admired what you do.

Those bright muffin liners are the cutest! And this recipe is a MUST!!!

[...] Strawberry Stuffed French Toast from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe Easy Apple Dumplings from Cafe Zupas Dulce de Leche Chocolate Banana Muffins from Picky [...]

Christi says:

These look delicious! I’m wanting to bake my husband something, he’s returning from deployment next week. He loves banana bread and muffins and he likes caramel. I’m just wondering if these were really good or if I should make my banana muffins? I’ll be taking the extras to others in the command who may not have somebody there for them.. so I want to be sure these are delicious! Thanks for your time!

Wow!! Congratulations on your husbands return!!! I love these but it’s personal opinion so it’s tough for me to answer for you. I suggest giving a go at them this week so you can know for sure. Plus, if you make them next week, you’ll be a pro. :)

Kristina says:

I’m in the process of making these as mini muffins. Looks like they’ll be done at 15 mins. Also using homemade dulce (microwave version — messy but quick!). My neighbors are my testers but they already look like they’ll be a hit!