Mar
2013

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes

Tags: , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes by Picky Palate

Where do I even begin with these mashed potatoes?  First off, how addicting are mashed potatoes anyway?  It’s kind of unfair.  You just can’t stop eating them.

This recipe was inspired by the dish Chicken Parmesan that I love so much.  I wanted to have the layer of pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese on top of my potoatoes!  Is that so wrong?  Lol!  No, it is very right.  We devoured this dish of potatoes.

Take a look for yourself, enjoy!

IMG_9969

I used about 8 taters, a few less than a 5 pound bag.

Peeling potatoes

Peel em’ and dice em’.

boiling potatoes

Boil those babies until they are fork tender.

IMG_0005

Transfer to a nice big mixing bowl with 4 tablespoons of butter.

salt and pepper

Salt and pepper please.

garlic and warm milk

Garlic salt and warm milk.

IMG_0022

I LOVE using my KitchenAid hand mixer for making mashed potatoes.  Your stand mixer works great too.

potatoes and parmesan cheese

Transfer your potatoes to your baking dish and top with Parmesan Cheese.

red sauce

Top with your favorite pasta sauce.

IMG_0060

Lots of cheese please.

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes 2t

Can’t you practically taste how amazing this is?  Enjoy!

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes 4t

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes

Garlic Parmesan Style Baked Mashed Potatoes 3t Ingredients

• 8 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup warmed milk
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups pasta or marinara sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Boil cubed potatoes for 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat potatoes on low until they come together. Add salt, garlic salt, pepper and milk until potatoes and nice and whipped. Only beat until combined.
  3. Transfer mashed potatoes to prepared baking dish spreading evenly. Top with parmesan cheese, pasta sauce then shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve as a side to your main dish.

Makes 8 Servings

Comments

I’m kind of in awe right now. This looks insanely good. I’m a potato addict and usually add cheese to mine, but adding sauce and then a LOAD of cheese sounds even better. Love this! Good job on making mashed potatoes even more addictive. ;)

Jenny,
    These look so good! I haven’t made mashed potatoes in ages because my kids haven’t seemed to like them. I think it’s a texture thing! Anyway, this recipe might just change their mind, since they’ll eat anything with marinara and cheese on it. I might just have to call them “pizza potatoes.” :)

I’ve heard of garlic mashed potatoes before, but never topped with pasta sauce and cheese! Looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

These look amazing, Jenny! That melted cheese is calling me!!!

GENIUS!! I need a whole bowl of these for breakfast!!

What a fantastic idea, Jenny! Adding tomato sauce and melted cheese would be a huge hit at my house.

Marjory says:

A terrific twist on a favorite dish!!

Lauren says:

These look AMAZiNG! I am (mild-ly) addicted to mashed potatoes… def. one of my major food groups… lol! I can’t wait to try this cheesy and saucey delectable pillows of greatness!

Love it! This is sure to be a new family favorite.

I’d eat a whole bowl of these for dinner- totally!

Dixie says:

I’m curious about the marinara sauce. I think everything else looks fantastic, and believe me it is not a criticsm, I was curious why. I guess I was thinking more a white sauce type of thing rather than the marinara.

Oh my goodness! Looks AMAZING!!

Ohh awesome idea. I think I could eat that whole pan on my own!

carrian says:

My favorite was chicken parm growing up. I requested it for every birthday dinner. I cannot wait to try out this mashed potato twist. BOOYAH!

Robert says:

Wow! Great idea!

Now this is how to do mashed potatoes! Such a great idea!

I want the entire pan!

Oh my word I love mashed potato and these look divine!! I’ve never thought to put marinara with my mash and then bake it – Woah, I need to make this! :D

Grace says:

Oh my…I’m…GONNA…F..F…FAINT!! *One hour Lateer* YUM!! That looks super good! I will HAVE to make this once the kitchen is cleaned! :)!

Sues says:

Wow, I’ve never even considered mashed potatoes with marinara sauce. But why the heck not?? I need this in my life!

Woah! An awesome way to get the same kind of lasagna-ish feel without the gluten or noodles. Awesome! If you subbed for cauliflower, I bet you could make something similar too.

wow these look super addicting – i could probably never stop eating it :) so unfair is right! haha :) i adore the creativity of this mashed potato dish. i think you’ve created a delicious monster!

Comfort food in a bowl. Great family recipe, Jenny!

Gaby says:

Love this idea! I’m a huge chicken parm fan too!

Amanda says:

Pizza mashed potatoes!! How fun are these?? These look gooey and decadent. Love! :)

marla says:

LOVE this comfort food mashed potatoes recipe Jenny!

Love the recipe and it looks scrumptious, such a great idea!

This is serious comfort food! What a great spin on two classic dishes! :)

Kids are going to fall in love with mashed potatoes!! What a genius idea!!! So simple, and brilliant. Classic!

GENIUS. Why have I not thought of mashed potatoes with tomato sauce and cheese? That sounds so delicious! I’m going to make these soon…and I’ll be thinking about them until I do!

Maureen Dever says:

Picky-Palate…you must try this spicy tomato oil from a little restaurant in Syracuse, Pastabilities. You can get it a certain grocery stores on the East Coast such as Wegmans or online:

You must try it! People use it to dip bread, to put on pasta, and even to use a a pizza sauce. It is mouth watering!!

This is an amazing idea!! I love it!

AH ! IT CAN’T BE BAD !! Thank you for sharing such different and easy recipe. I have to try once.

katie says:

Woah–you’ve taken mashed potatoes to a whole new level! I love baked mashed potatoes but the marinara sauce… come on! Amazing!

Andrene says:

Oh yum!!! Pinned and printed and ready to make!!! Happy to see the new Lawry’s roasted garlic salt….the original Lawry’s has been a staple in my house for ages! Thanks so much for sharing!