Mar
2013

Honey, Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes {Healthy}

Tags: ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Honey Whole Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

Another edition to “Skinny Palate” for you today!  As much as I love my favorite pancakes from my Cookbook, page 21 to be exact, I also like to prepare a healthy version of them that I am sharing today.

I used Gold Medal Flour’s White Wheat Flour, ground flaxseed and no sugar.  I use honey as the sweetener and no oil.  I am not kidding when I tell you that my 7 year old can NOT tell the difference between these and my original pancakes from my cookbook.

If you’d like a healthier option for a pancake, I highly recommend my recipe.  You literally add all the ingredients to one mixing bowl and you are ready to go.  Easy and fabulous!

Enjoy friends!

whole wheat and flax

Add your white wheat flour and flaxseed right to the bowl.

baking soda, buttermilk and egg

Add your baking soda, pinch of salt, buttermilk and egg.

IMG_1211

Had to take a photo of the swirling ingredients.  I’m officially a foodie nerd.

vanilla and honey

Vanilla and honey time!  Give it all a good mix and we’re ready to make some pancakes.

forming pancakes

Spoon your batter into a nice hot non-stick skillet, form it into nice circle and let it cook until golden.

flipping pancakes

Flip your pancake when golden brown like so.

IMG_1254

Once cooked on both sides, stack your pancakes onto a plate and get ready to eat!

Honey Whole Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes by Picky Palate

Honey, Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes {Healthy}

Honey Whole Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 cup Gold Medal White Wheat Flour
  • 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons honey

Directions

1. Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, stirring to combine.
  2. Heat a medium non-stick skillet to medium heat. Spoon a few tablespoons of batter into the center of your skillet. With a spoon, form your batter into a nice round pancake. Let cook for about 2 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional minute or so until browned and cooked through. Transfer each pancake to a plate until all batter is used up.
  3. Serve these healthy pancakes with pure maple syrup and sliced/chopped fruit. We like to spread a thin layer of peanut butter on our pancakes and top with berries then syrup.

Makes 8-11 3 inch pancakes

Comments

I want a big stack of these babies!

Katie says:

These look so yummy. I have bags of ground flaxseed in my freezer so I will be making these quite often.

marla says:

Oh how I would LOVE these pancakes ~ ALSO love the new skinny/healthy recipes :) XO

Tieghan says:

oh these look good! Honey whole wheat is the best and I love the addition of the flax seeds!

Love that these are chocked full of goodness!!

Deborah says:

These look so good! And I love when the kids can’t tell the difference!

Meaganne Hughes says:

We loved these even though I accidentally left out the egg! I am guessing that all of the flax saved the day:).

Those pancakes look so good and sound so nice and healthy!

carrian says:

I love pancakes lately. They are just so tender and fluffy! Loveyour healthy version, it means I get to eat twice as much, right?

a healthy stack of pancakes only means i can have a larger stack haha!! i love these, Jenny. they’re so fluffy and perfectly round :)

Oooo, what a gorgeous stack!

Yum! I will making these this weekend. Of course served up with a giant glob of PB ; )

Kellie says:

These look yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Hello! I stumbled upon this post on Pinterest, and I wanted to invite you to share this recipe – or any healthy meal/snack you’ve enjoyed over the past month – at my link-up (http://bit.ly/YCpeHq) to celebrate National Nutrition Month. I’m inviting people to come together to celebrate all of the different ways to eat healthfully, and I think my readers would love these pancakes!

Do you think it’ll give the same result if using milk instead of buttermilk ?(not sure ti have it here…)

Gaby says:

I’d like these on my easter menu for sure!! And love that addition of flax seeds. I’ve been adding it to everything recently!

I NEED a stack of these to go with all my syrup. ;) We need to get together, Jenny. Happy Easter!

I think I need these in my life!!!

My children ask me to bake pancakes. I think one day, I have to try. REALLY !!

So smart to add flaxseed to a morning favorite like pancakes… I’ve got to try this! Thanks, Jenny!

Making these for breakfast tomorrow!

This definitely justifies the quantity that I’m allowed to eat, right? :D

[...] Honey, Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes Healthy – Picky Palate [...]

Sibylle says:

they look healthy AND yummy – great combination!!

Will be perfect for breakfast this weekend!

Diana says:

I made a batch of these this morning and topped them with strawberries! I used half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. They were great!

sweet-lab says:

I love pancakes! And I love them even more if they are of the healthy kind! This sounds great.

These look incredible!!

[...] 5. Honey Wheat Flaxseed Pancakes – and for a “straight up”, no muss, no fuss pancakes, this is my new go-to. You don’t even have to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately first. Bonus! [...]

Aggie says:

I love how easy & healthy these are! I have all these ingredients, Saturday pancakes!! :)

Jillian says:

Just made these for a late-day snack. I used unbleached all-purpose flour, and had to make my own buttermilk with the milk + lemon juice method, but they turned out so yummy! Mine came out a bit thinner (I got 14 pancakes out of this), which may have been because of my swaps, but delicious all the same!

Lucy says:

These were delicious, I didn’t use buttermilk and used Greek yogurt then plain milk till it was the right consistancy. Satisfied my pregnant pancake craving and felt pretty good about what I ate.

Traci says:

I just made these for lunch for my 2.5 year old and she (and I) loved them!!

Christine says:

Have you made waffles with this batter?

[…] Zephyr Pancakes By Mel’s Kitchen Cafe Oatmeal Pancake Mix by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe Honey Wheat and Flaxseed Pancakes by Picky Palate Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup by Picky Palate Silverdollar […]

Tabatha says:

Thank you for this recipe!
    I am making them for breakfast tomorrow and I’m excited to see what the kiddies think.

(Love your blog, btw – I’ve been using some recipes of yours for the past week and they’re all winners!)