Apr
2013

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

Happy April 1st!  No tricks today, April Fools totally snuck up on me this year!

I don’t know about you guys, but we seem to  have tacos on a regular basis in our home.  They are easy and the kids (and husband) love them.  I have created a simple homemade taco seasoned and lime grilled chicken that is thinly sliced and mouthwatering inside tacos.  You can either marinate the chicken or grill it immediately, whatever you’ve got the time for.

I use an inside stove top grill pan so I can grill all year round.  Do you have one?   I use mine all the time especially since I don’t have an outdoor grill at the moment.  They are great for grilling chicken and I even throw burgers on it.  The one I use is HERE.  Check your local TJ Maxx Home Goods, I have seen them there on a number of occasions for much less expensive.

Let’s take a look at how simple you can make your own restaurant style grilled chicken for tacos.

Homemade Taco Seasoning by Picky Palate

Here’s my simple taco seasonings:  ground cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika.  Regular paprika works too.  Sprinkle the seasonings on both sides of your chicken.

fresh lime

The limes match my green mixer!  Slice your lime and get ready to squeeeeeze :)

squeezing lime

Thank you hubby for being my lime squeezer.

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos

Place your chicken breasts onto a hot grill pan (or outside grill).

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos 2

Steamy!

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos 3

After about 5-6 minutes, flip those babies and grill the other side.

thinly sliced grilled chicken

After your chicken has rested about 10 minutes take a nice sharp long knife and thinly slice each breast like so.

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos 1t

Squeeze the second lime over the sliced chicken and serve inside tacos.

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I like to pan fry my white corn tortillas in just a touch of canola or vegetable oil to soften them.  I placed chicken slices inside and topped with avocado slices, tomatoes, thinly sliced spinach and a touch of my salsa ranch sauce.  Enjoy!

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos

Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (regular paprika works too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 3-4 medium to large boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 limes, split

Directions

1. Preheat indoor or outdoor grill to medium high heat.
  2. Place cumin, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic salt into a bowl. Stir to combine.
  3. Place chicken breast into a large bowl or large ziploc bag. Pour seasonings over chicken then squeeze the juice of one whole lime over chicken and seasonings. Stir chicken around with seasonings and lime. You can marinate up 1-5 hours if desired. Can be grilled immediately as well.
  4. Spray grill lightly with cooking spray then carefully place chicken onto grill. Let grill 5-6 minutes each side, or until cooked through and juices run clear. Transfer chicken to a large plate and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice chicken and squeeze with juice of last lime over tops. Thinly sliced chicken goes great inside tacos. Top with your favorite toppings.

Makes 6-8 Servings
Note: Creamy sauce shown in photograph is equal parts prepared Ranch Dressing and mild salsa

Comments

My husband is my lime squeezer, too. ;) And my tortilla roller! Woohoo.

I love how simple these are! We make fajitas all the time but the marinade is way too involved. I think I’ll try these! And nice indoor grilling pan thingie. I didn’t even know that they exist! I need to see if I can find one.

We do tacos all the time here… usually with shrimp. These look absolutely incredible!

Love the simplicity and freshness of these tacos!

Tieghan says:

These loook delicious! So fresh and summery!

I think taco night needs to happen very soon!

Great shot of the grilled chicken! Those tacos look tasty!

I love taco night. I need to make this asap ;)

We need a taco night now! Love all of your family dinner ideas, Jenny.

omg i love grilled chicken for tacos!! these look exceptional! i love all the spice flavors and the lime you incorporated into this. i’m so hungry now!!

Yum! We LOVE taco night around here….can’t wait to try these! Ooo…and smoked paprika! Love that stuff! :)

I’m seeing a taco night happening in the near future! Love the lime!

Looks fabulous! Such great flavor, you can keep the toppings simple.

The boys love ANYTHING taco around here. This is perfect!! (and I’m pretty sure that even my husband can handle making this)

carrian says:

Hey, that’s what we do too!! So stinking delicious and easy!!

katie says:

yum! These look divine–love grilled chicken tacos!!

marla says:

I need to make this chicken recipe for my family asap! Love it Jenny :)

Allyson says:

Just found your site; love it!
    These look great – fast, easy and healthy! I’ve found that when using my grill pan i have to cook meat much longer than the suggested cook time. Is 10-12 min total cook time really all you need for chix breast? Did you pound a bit, or use thinner cuts? Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong?

Amanda says:

Would it work using a George Foreman type grill? Looks yummy and need to make this for sure!

I bet if you prep the chicken ahead of time this would make a great weeknight meal! :)

naomi says:

Love the indoor grilling on this!

Gaby says:

So perfect for this weeks taco night!

We love tacos here, but don’t have taco night nearly enough!! I’m showing this to the other half to insist we have another taco night soon!! :D

I love being able to grill all year long. And I love all your new ways of making tacos, because our family is huge taco lovers :D Love this one Jenny!

I’ve been craving tacos lately, so thank you for this! This chicken sounds like the perfect taco filling!

Mashael says:

I love that you reply to every comment you get. you’re so modest <3
    btw love the recipe, will try it soon.

Stephanie says:

Yum!! This looks delicious! I bet this would be amazing on top of a salad too!

Lori says:

I have that same LeCreuset grill pan, but I can NEVER get it to work well. No grill marks and the chicken doesn’t seem to cook on it. What do you think I am doing wrong? Do you preheat it for a long time? (We have a gas range)….any suggestions greatly appreciated cuz it is tooooo cold here to grill outside! Thanks!

Oh YES. This looks so scrumptious, Jenny! The perfect summer meal for us grill-lovin’ Texans. I’ll be making this soon!

Kathy says:

Oh my! This chicken looks so good I can almost taste it! This will definately be happening soon!

Looks SO delicious Jenny!

Makes me want to use my outside grill ! … but it’s still very cold here in France … !

Lauren says:

How do you make your ranch salsa? That looks like a delicious addition to tacos.

Julie says:

I am making this for dinner tonight. Looks so good-can’t wait to try it! How do you make your ranch salsa? I found a few recipes online, but they don’t look like yours! Thanks!

It’s to take out my grilling pan. I miss tacos. I guess it’s time to treat myself to it.

Nothing like a strong man to squeeze those limes! Oh gosh, forget I said that. Anyway, this chicken looks scrumptious! Great recipe!

I love the taste of lime with chicken. I always add a cilantro lime rice side dish to my tacos, so I might just go a bit lime crazy now!

Joyce says:

Hi Jenny,

These are incredible! I used the Grill Pan & Press from Pampered Chef. It’s non-stick, w/ lifetime warranty. It’s one of the host specials for April, at 60% off, so only $75 for the set. A party can be put together with a minimum $150 order, so can add up quickly with a couple friends ordering. I’m in Wisconsin, but a local Pampered Chef consultant can help…. or I can set up a catalog or Facebook party. Any readers can feel free to contact me at http://www.pamperedchef.biz/joycenyman.

Love your website, recipes… and your new cookbook!

Joyce

Julie says:

Thanks Jenny! I tried this recipe and my whole family loved it! My daughter is really picky about chicken, especially taco-type recipes, but she loved it and even wanted seconds! This is definitely a keeper!

Holy moly, that chicken looks incredible! It looks so moist and flavorful!

[...] Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken for Tacos Tuesday:  Cheesy Pesto Chicken Spaghetti Bake Wednesday:  Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs Thursday:  [...]

Kate Henry says:

A trick for squeezing limes is to cut them vertically rather than horizontally. Cut them slightly off center so you get just the lime. Then squeeze away. This is a trick I learned from a bartender in Mexico.

You can also slightly warm the lime in the microwave (no more than 10 seconds). This helps release the juice.

Finally, you might want to invest in a squeezer. Just make sure you buy a metal one. Plastic squeezers will break on you very quickly. Remember to cut vertically and use a lime squeezer and you will end up with every ounce of juice from a lime!

made these a few weeks ago and added a little homemade corn, onion and bell pepper relish that I made to them. We made both chicken and shrimp and all were delicious and quickly disappeared. :) Thanks for the recipe.

[...] I have had a chance to get into Pinterest, but I did find a recipe recently that we enjoyed for Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken. We have some picky eaters around here, but occasionally I can persuade them to go spicy, and these [...]

Ed Schwille says:

Just found this on Pinterest, look awesome, will make for the kids and I soon!!

Shantel says:

I made these for my family a couple of weeks ago and they were delicious! Coming back today to copy your recipe down so that I don’t forget. We are definitely fans. Thank you so much for sharing!

Alese says:

This recipe was so good. It was my first try making this, I’m glad I did.
    Instead of paprika and garlic salt. I substitute the paprika with ground cayenne pepper, and for the garlic salt. i made my own with garlic powder and salt. It was so good , that i shared it with my mom. She loved it! I broiled it, and it made so tasty ^^

Yolanda says:

Can the chicken be made in the crockpot?

[…] up my Taco and Lime Chicken to get started.  Here’s an idea of what I use for an indoor grill […]