Jun
2013

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake

Tags: ,

Desserts

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake by Picky Palate

Oh boy, this cake is a dream.  I made it for my sweet Mom’s birthday while they were visiting this week…..and it’s safe to say we liked it :)

You’ll find eggless peanut butter cookie dough layered between 2 homemade chocolate cakes topped with my double chocolate frosting.  Find a special occasion to make this cake ASAP!

Enjoy friends!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-11

Bake your cakes and let them cool.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-1

While your cakes are cooling, make the peanut butter cookie dough layer. Start with some flour!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough

Add your peanut butter, butter, sugars, vanilla and milk.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-6

Yes please!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-7

Let’s start the frosting shall we?

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-9

Oh yah!!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-10

You gotta try a lick.

Layering Cake

Place your cooled cake onto your cake stand, top with a nice thick layer of peanut butter cookie dough and top with second cake.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-15

Frost all sides of this baby!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-16

Unwrap 20 or so of these little bites and top them on the center of your cake if desired.

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Layered Chocolate Cake-24t

• 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
  • 20 mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 9 inch cake pans with cooking spray and the bottoms lined with parchment paper.
  2. Heat the milk in a microwave safe bowl until hot, about 45-60 seconds. Remove and add chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute then stir to melt.
  3. In a stand mixer, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda to combine. Slowly add the eggs, sour cream, oil and melted chocolate mixture until combined. Divide batter between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until baked through. Remove and let cool. Remove cakes from pans.
  4. To prepare cookie dough, beat butter and peanut butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, flour and milk mixing until thick and cookie dough consistency.
  5. To prepare frosting, beat butter until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and cocoa until thick. Beat in melted chocolate. Stack one cake on top of a cake plate and top with peanut butter cookie dough layer. Top with second cake and Frost entire cake. Top with halved Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.

Makes 10 Servings

Comments

peanut butter cookie dough layered between 2 homemade chocolate cakes topped with my double chocolate frosting = SOLD, sold, sold!! Jenny this sounds amazing! It was my bday 2 weeks ago and what I would give to have a cake like this appear! Each and every layer and item could stand alone – and together, heaven! Pinned!

Tieghan says:

Holy moly!! This is unbelievable! I am think a slice for breakfast would be awesome!

Oh my goodness!I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. I don’t know how you keep coming up with these amazing recipes but don’t ever stop!

Whoaaaa goodness! This looks insanely delicious!

This is over the top in the best way possible!!

Nicole Nared says:

This looks super rich and amazing!

carrian says:

That sounds amazing! Come make it for me next year for my birthday, no one eats cake but me so we never celebrate with it.

There are just so many good things going on in this cake!

I love everything about this cake! Happy birthday to your mom!

holy cow! this looks amazing!! can you bake me a cake like this for my bday? haha :) happy birthday to your momma!!

Best flavor combo ever!!!

marla says:

Awesome lookin cake & I love the chopped up candy on top!

Jenny, this has got to be one of the most amazing cakes, ever! I mean, cookie dough filling?? Mmmm. :)

This cake is a dessert dream come true!

Completely dead right now.

Heather says:

Losing my mind – this dessert is my ULTIMATE!!!

Gayle Cherry says:

Hi,
    I think there is an error in the recipe as it states in the last paragraph to top each layer with crushed butterfingers bars??? Where did that come from….I know it may just be a typo from another recipe, but I thought I would bring it to your attention…I can’t wait to make it!! My hubby’s b-day.is this Sunday and he is a total peanut butter fanatic so I think I have the perfect opportunity!!
    Thanks!
    Gayle C :-)

This is one of those cakes where you want to risk getting caught by sticking your finger in the frosting lol. Such a fun idea!

I’ll have seconds-please.

*swoon*

Chocolate cake and pb cookie dough…music to my ears

Paula says:

Hi Jenny! It looks like maybe the directions on the “recipe card” for this cake accidentally included the last past of your Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake instead of the directions as you describe them in your step by step instructions for this cake. Both look like wonderful recipes though!

Diane says:

Jenny: A little confused here. Your recipe states to spread a thin layer of frosting on each cake layer and top with crushed butterfinger candies, then after stacking the two layers and frosting the entire cake, add more crushed butterfingers to the top of cake. That sounds absolutely phenomenal, as butterfingers are my favorite candy, but I’m seeing miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups, which sounds pretty good too! Looks like you could use either candy.

oh lord help me. Peanut butter chocolate is my favooooorite. You pretty much made a huge reeses- into a cake. gah!!!!

Hello gorgeous! This looks incredible, Jenny!

There’s no way I can wait longer than 24 hours to make this beauty.

Maegan @ The BakerMama says:

This is the kind of cake I have dreams about! It sounds amazing, looks amazing, and I have no doubt it tastes AMAZING! You have a lucky mom!

Happy birthday to your mom!!! This cake looks awesome – I’m speechless!!!

Amanda says:

Have mercy. This cake looks AMAZING!! :)

WOW. This looks like a dream.

Sibylle says:

So beautiful and surely so yummy!!!

Oh boy. This cake looks dangerously good!! Chocolate and PB and cookie dough?? Heaven! I want a slice right now for snack!

This is amazing. And I want peanut butter cups so bad right now. I just bought a big lot of peanut butter today ( I buy peanut butter in bulk – haha) so this cake is in my near future!

Nessa says:

Hello, dream come true :)

donna says:

Looks Amazing! But in the pics you show flour as the beginning of ther peanut butter layer, but there is none listed in the recipe?

This is freakin’ awesome! When I finally find time to make this cake, I have a feeling I am going to be outrageously happy.

This is amazing. Freaking amazing, Jenny :)

Dawn Kelm says:

Getting ready to go to the store for the ingredients!! Making this for my husband’s 50th birthday today!!! Can’t wait to try it…oh and taste test the cookie dough and lick the frosting batter!! LOL

Thanks Jenny!!

Vera says:

I’m confused!! The captions for the filling state to start with some flour. However, I am not seeing the flour in the filling ingredient list, nor the filling directions. Am I missing it?

[...]  We watched Bachelorette and went for a walk down PCH.  It was perfect.  I also made her THIS cake.  You must try it.  We had it for breakfast, [...]

Debbie says:

Hi Jenny! Love your recipes – I have a question, though. My peanut butter layer turned out more like cake batter than cookie dough. Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks for your help – I am taking it to a party tomorrow!

Emilee says:

Hi Jenny,
    I apologize if I’m missing this…for the frosting, are you using the milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet? It wasn’t specific…

Oh my goodness, I am in looove with this cake!

What an amazing recipe! I have to make a gluten free version. I’m sure this will be a huge hit! Happy to your mom!

Wow- this is a dream come true! I have to make this! You just put together all of my favorite things in one place! AMAZING!

Oh hello waterfall of drool that spontaneously erupted

Marian says:

Eep! I need a piece of this cake!

Emilee says:

Hi! I REALLY want to make this cake and get it right…..can anyone tell me if the chips in the frosting are the same as the cake (milk choc) OR semi sweet?

Leigh says:

I made this cake today for my mom’s birthday. It looked so good I couldn’t even wait for her before digging in! It was so good! Luckily she didn’t mind me checking to make sure it was good before giving it to her :-).

Norma says:

Oh my! This looks…..words can’t describe. I love love love chocolate cake. Oh My!