Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jul
2013

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad

Tags: , , , , , ,

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad by Picky Palate

You know how hot it is in the summer and you don’t feel like heating the oven?  I’ve got just the solution for you.

One of my newest favorite salads is this little beauty I call Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad.  It’s so simple to prepare and full of so many of my favorite ingredients.

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad-2

Here’s a shot of the ingredients I used for my salad.

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad-1

For the charred corn, I placed my ears of corn right on the grill brushed with just a little olive oil.  I used my indoor stovetop grill.

Charred corn and Bacon

If you haven’t had charred corn before, you are in for a treat.  It has the best smoky flavor….and paired with bacon, yum!

Berries

Berries are always a good idea for salad.

Arugula and feta

I happen to love arugula leaves for my salads, but if you prefer a different green, by all means switch it out.  Same goes for the feta cheese.

olive oil and balsamic

I like to prepare my dressing in a mason jar.  Start with olive oil and balsamic.

Honey, brown mustard and salt

A little honey, brown mustard, salt and pepper.

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad-14

Close lid…..

Shake

…and shake, shake, shake!

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad by Picky Palate

I just love everything about this salad, you’ll love it!

Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad by Picky Palate

• 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. In a large salad bowl, layer the arugula leaves, strawberries, blueberries, charred corn, feta cheese and glazed pecans.
  2. To prepare dressing, place olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper into a mason jar. Close with lid and shake for a minute, or until emulsified.
  3. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad and serve.

Makes 4 Servings

Comments

Julia says:

Yum!! That looks delicious :) I absolutely love to eat salad in summer and that’s why I’m always on the hunt after new ideas! Maybe I’ll try your recipe soon.
    xo, Julia

This salad looks so good – so refreshing! Love the dessing idea too!

Love the combo of bacon and berries! Thanks for sharing!

I love all these ingredients, Jenny!

Mmmm…my kind of salad! Love the charred corn + honey & balsamic!

Dena Norton says:

Just gorgeous! Throw a few grilled shrimp on top and call it dinner!

Marian says:

I’m always looking for ways to change up my salads – this one looks awesome, thanks!

Love charred corn in salads! Looks fab!

Jenny, this looks so summery and delicious!

Loving all these flavors!

Tieghan says:

I love this summery salad! The bacon, the charred corn, the strawberries!! I love it all! Sounds perfect!

carrian says:

That looks/sounds amazing! Love that you put charred corn with fresh berries

marla says:

LOVE this summer salad Jenny! Have a GREAT weekend :)

Joyce says:

This looks absolutely delicious, and so refreshing! Can’t wait to try it.

I love absolutely everything about this – especially the bacon and corn ;)

Perfect Summer salad…love the corn and bacon combo. And that dressing!!! Swoon.

This looks so incredibly delish Jenny!! :D

Jaclyn says:

This looks delicious! I love salads like this – the charred corn addition is genius!

That is one really nice looking summer salad! I always enjoy making my own dressings!

some of my favorite things piled high on that beautiful salad! Perfect for summer!

This salad is calling my name! Looks delicious!

Such a great summer salad! I love the flavors!

[...] charred corn, bacon and berry summer salad. Love this. [...]

Love, love the idea of bacon and berries. Yum! It sounds fabulous.

Cecelia says:

Salad looks fabulous…think I am going to try it tonight!! Might want to check recipe posted, though – it doesn’t have the bacon in it! ( :

I love the flavors in this and that charred corn!! Brings out the flavors of everything else in this salad so well!

Nessa says:

Charred corn is the best!

Carol says:

I notice you use this “spicy brown mustard” in recipes. I have looked everywhere for this but cannot find it. I live in Ontario, Canada so have different grocery stores than you but maybe if you have a better description of it I could match it with something I can find.
    Carol

This looks beautiful AND tasty! Perfect for a dinner party. Thanks for the recipe!

[…]  A bit of charred corn.  See my recipe and photos HERE. […]

[…] RECIPE: Charred Corn, Bacon and Berry Summer Salad  […]

Jessica Young says:

Just made this last weekend for a potluck bbq we headed to. I printed it off and took to the grocery store to pick up the few items I needed, made it (HUGE hit – it was delicious) and then just now when I got online to share how much we loved it realized that my recipe I printed out didn’t have bacon in it. That would have been a fabulous addition – the saltiness of the bacon would have combined nicely with the sweet of the fruit and tank of the arugula & zip of the mustard in the dressing. Can’t wait to make again but put bacon in it. Would this just be layered with everything else?

[…] Charred Corn, Bacon, and Berry Summer Salad from Picky Palate […]