Feb
2014

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

My Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet makes the perfect quick and simple weeknight dinner!

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

I am always looking for quick and simple weeknight dinners and this one I developed last week was a huge success.  We love Mexican dinners every week and this was a great addition to add to my rotating menu options.

You can use a rotisserie chicken to save yourself some time, or if you have time I highly suggest grilling up my Taco Lime Chicken.  We used it for this recipe and it was the perfect addition with the spices in the rice.

Break out your cast iron skillet and try out this zesty chicken and rice skillet this week!

Enjoy friends!

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-1

Start by sautéing some onion and garlic.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-2

Stir in your cooked brown rice.

Green Chiles

Some chopped green chiles up next.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-5

Black beans please :)

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-6

Sprinkle in some cumin.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-7

Some fresh lime juice.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-8

Cubed cooked chicken.  Try my Taco Lime Chicken, it was soooo good in this recipe.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-9

A few shakes of your favorite hot sauce.

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet-10

Top with shredded cheeses and time to bake!

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

We enjoyed the leftovers all week long for lunch.  This one is a keeper!

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

Serve with some chips and salsa if you’d like :)

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet

Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice SkilletPrep time: X min | Cook time: X min | Total time: X hour X min Ingredients

• 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh garlic minced
  • two 4 ounce cans green chiles from can
  • 3/4 cup black beans, drained (about 1/2 15 ounce can)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (I used THIS recipe)
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Cholula)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and heat cast iron skillet over medium heat.
  2. Cook rice according to packaging directions and set aside. Heat oil in skillet and when hot, add onion and garlic, stirring until softened about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, green chiles, black beans, cumin, lime juice, chicken and hot sauce. Top with cheeses and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm.

Makes 8 Servings

Comments

You make the best family-friendly easy dinnertime skillets, Jenny! pinned

Medeja says:

Spicy, filling, delicious.. That’s a really great dish!

Love how easy this is! I am definitely always on the lookout for weeknight friendly meals.
    Plus, that Cholula hot sauce is pretty much my hubbies life. Perfect!

This sounds right up my alley! Love all of those flavors! :)

Love one skillet meals and this one sounds tasty!

great flavors and I love how you are always thinking fast, easy and family friendly!

Great weeknight meal!

naomi says:

Im right there with you about easy weeknight dinners — this one is a great one!!

Mary says:

Looks so yummy and fast, thanks for another great weeknight meal to add to my rotation!

This looks SO good!! I love how quick it comes together. I’d love a large helping, please!

laurie says:

Sounds easy, yummy and healthy! Can’t wait to try!

marla says:

Destined to be a classic recipe! Love this Jenny :)

Mmmmm…this so needs to be dinner!

Love one pot meals. My family would love this one.

Looks so yummy and easy. My family would love this!

Laura says:

This recipe looks so yummy. I am always interested in your skillet recipes, but I don’t have a cast iron skillet that can go in the oven. I was interested in buying one for my birthday and wondered what size you recommend. Do you have a favorite?

Hi Laura, I’ve always used the Lodge brand. They are inexpensive and last forever :) If you have a thrift store near you, check there, I’ve found some of mine there!

Liz says:

Thank you for the nice recipe. Have a Great Week!

Skillet meals are the best! I can’t wait to try this one!!

Yes please! Looks absolutely delish!

Gaby says:

This would be such a fabulous weeknight dinner!

Tieghan says:

These flavors are my favorite!! Love this easy dinner!

Malen says:

That looks great! I love the step by step tutorial with the clear photos. I am definitely trying this.

The perfect weeknight meal, always need more of those! Love.

Amanda says:

Perfect meal for tonight! Love the green chiles and hot sauce :)

Natalie says:

Awesome! I’m trying to make weekly recipe planning easier for our family, and have decided to do five ‘theme’ nights each week…one night Italian, one night American, one night Mexican, one night slow cooker and one night just an easy classic (grilled cheese, breakfast, ect.). This will be perfect for Mexican night!!

God bless you for the weeknights-dinner-friendly ideas! Just like Natalie, I am trying to plan ahead all the cooking (and shopping groceries for that matter). It is part of a bigger project for me – my new year resolution for time management.

Amanda says:

I was pretty much sold on this when I saw it’s mexican themed AND chicken. Two of my favorite things.

Erin says:

I made this last night for my family and it was a huge hit!! So delicious and oh so easy. The taco lime chicken is AMAZING! Very happy I found your website :) thank you again for a great dish!

[…] to do with it. Totally making this. This mac n' cheese. I die. Oh no wait, this mac n' cheese. Easy weeknight dinner. That is all friends, until next time. Two Years Ago: Fried Mozzarella-Pepperoni Sticks ~ Made […]

Elizabeth says:

This may be a stupid question, but can you use just a regular oven-safe skillet if you don’t have a cast iron one? Thanks!

Mindi says:

Thank you for another great recipe. My family loved this! It was super quick and easy, too.

Oh man my husband will flip for these flavors! Thank you for the recipe :)

Mary says:

Hi, This was so good… I tried it once with ground beef, that was good and now I like it with sausage… thanks

Love this recipe. Not only does it look good, it looks easy enough to create. I am all about easy recipes, especially when its my turn to cook (my husband does 90% of the cooking) and every once in a while I have to cook and that’s when I go online to find something new to create.

Thanks so much for inspiring me to make this one pan chicken dish!

Regards,

Rosana Santos Calambichis, CEO BIG CHEF

this makes me hungry…looking so yummy

I made this last night for my BF and I. It was SO delicious!!
    Thanks for posting this recipe!

Susan says:

Wow – this is such a great recipe. I love the pictures too… beautiful! Pinned :P

Susan