Apr
2014

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets

Tags: , ,

Appetizers and Sides

My favorite way to eat beets….Orange Dressing Marinated Beets. Could eat these all day! Still working on the boys, in the meantime I’ll be eating these all to myself!

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets

When we lived in Newport Beach, CA there was an adorable little cafe right on Pacific Coast Highway that I walked to on a regular basis called Zinc Cafe.  They had the most beautiful salads, healthy menu options and baked goods around.  My favorite salad to order from them was their Orange Beet Salad.  I will be the first to admit, I have not always liked beets.  In fact, I just barely started eating them within the last year.  I kind of thought they tasted like dirt. Soil. Too earthy.

Not these!  They are marinated in fresh orange juice, a little grated onion, vinegar and orange zest.  Give it 24 hours to marry together and you’ve got the best healthy snack ever.

Not kidding.  You’ve got to try these for yourself.  We just eat them right out of the bowl, but you can plate them over some lovely micro greens, goat cheese and pecans if you’d like.

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-1

Keep your eye out for these little boxes of refrigerated steamed, peeled beets in the produce section of your grocery store.  Trader Joe’s sells them for a great price.  I can also get them at my Fry’s Marketplace here in Mesa, AZ.  You’ll also need 4 oranges, a small slice of red onion to grate, vinegar (not in picture), micro greens, goat cheese and pecans if you’d like to plate it as a salad.

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-2

Here’s the beets when you take them out of the package.  Beware, the red liquid stains everything.  Be careful :)

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-3

Slice your beets into thin slices and place into a large mixing bowl.

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-4

Squeeze the juice of all 4 oranges into your bowl of beets.

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-6

Add some orange zest and grated red onion to your bowl.

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-8

Just a touch of vinegar, then stir, cover and refrigerate for about 24 hours to marinate!  We just eat them right from the bowl once marinated but they are great over a green salad too!

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets-9

Try micro greens with your beets.  Soooo good!

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets

I also added pinches of goat cheese and pecans.  Enjoy!

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets

Orange Dressing Marinated Beets

Orange Dressing Marinated BeetsPrep time: 10 min | Cook time: 24 hours | Total time: 24 hours 10 min

Ingredients

• 10-12 baby beats, steamed and peeled (I get mine in the produce section of my grocery store. Trader Joe’s has them too)
  • 4 medium-large oranges
  • 1 tablespoon grated red onion
  • 2 tablespoon vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons orange zest

OPTION FOR SALAD

• 6 cups micro greens or other greens of choice
  • 1/4 cup goat cheese, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup pecans

Directions

1. Slice baby beets into 1/4 inch slices and place into a large mixing bowl. Add juice of oranges, red onion, vinegar and orange zest. Stir, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
  2. To serve, eat right out of the bowl (what we do) or enjoy with micro greens, goat cheese and pecans.

Makes 6 Servings

Comments

I love beets and goats cheese and the fact that this is marinated in zesty orange juice is a nice twist.

I haven’t eaten a TON of beets in my life, but what I have eaten I have loved. And, I am totally obsessed with goat cheese so I think I am gonna love these! And that salad is just gorg! Pinned!

marla says:

Such a simple & perfectly healthy recipe!

This would be a nice way to enjoy some beets!

Those packaged beets are a HUGE time saver. Love the flavors here!

I love a good beet salad! Looks fab!

Love this, Jenny! Definitely could use this after a weekend of Easter candy!

I completely LOVE beets, so tho sis perfect for me- delicious!

I don’t like beets but man, your photos make them look so good that I’ll definitely give it a try!!

Jenny I LOVE beets! They’re so under-rated and under-used I think! I would love this salad – pinned!

Gaby says:

This sounds like the perfect combination!

Liz says:

I love beets. Thanks so much. Have a Wonderful Day!

Naomi says:

I love that place – and this salad, yep, a winner!

I have to admit, beets aren’t my favorite thing. But this is so beautiful that I might just have to reconsider!

Beautiful salad! I’m not huge on beets, but I think I could do this!!

I’m still learning to love beets. Can’t wait to try this variation!

bc in edmond says:

what kind of vinegar do you recommend?

Tieghan says:

Not going to lie, I still have never had beets. I know, crazy! I have to try this though. Looks so good!

Can you believe I’ve never eaten a beet?? I think I need to give this version a whirl :)

I love beets, I can’t wait to start growing some again! That dressing sounds like it would be a sublime pairing.

Sharon says:

I absolutely love beets – pickled, creamed, etc. Gotta try this recipe. Funny that so many folks either haven’t tried beets or don’t like them. Me – I’ve never tried goat cheese. This might be a good opportunity for me. Thanks for posting this one.

[…] Orange Dressing Marinated Beets…RECIPE […]

[…] Adapted from Picky Palate […]

Chara says:

It was hard to find your articles in google search results.
    I found it on 16 spot, you should build a lot of quality backlinks , it will help you to increase traffic.
    I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips

These tiny components can damage easily if a large amount of
    current passes through them. Copper being a good conduct of electricity is preferred to print the circuit on the PCB.

It’s best regarding automated companies make use of Printed circuit boards such as IPC-6012 Class three to make certain reduced sign decline in addition to understanding inside frequency when shifting signals throughout these units.