This Chicken and Roasted Corn Mexican Rice is such a flavor packed simple dinner to have as an accompaniment or eaten on it’s own.
I’m always looking for simple dinner ideas and this “healthier” Chicken and Roasted Corn Mexican Rice will be put on repeat from now on. It’s great with taco night, burritos or in a bowl with a spoon with your favorite salsa. I used the roasted corn from Trader Joe’s freezer section. I highly recommend it if you haven’t tried it yet. This roasted corn has become a staple in my freezer, I have used it for so many dinners lately.
It’s so great in soups too! Especially Mexican style soups!
Hope you enjoy this simple yet completely delicious mexican rice!
Chicken and Roasted Corn Mexican Rice
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20 min (for the rice) | Total time: 30 min
- 2 cups dry rice, I used brown today
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
- 2 cups finely shredded chicken
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels (mine were from Trader Joe’s frozen section)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until tender about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, tomato sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until hot. Transfer to a 9×13 inch dish, top with warm shredded chicken and corn. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm.
Makes 8 Servings
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.