Sharing the BEST pancake recipe today! These Chocolate Chip Malted Pancakes are the perfect addition to any breakfast and brunch menu. Soft, malted and stuffed with loads of chocolate chips!
I looooove making a fun breakfast for my family. This pancake recipe is one of our very favorites. Especially on the weekends. Nothing like seeing the smiles on my boys face when I serve a big stack of pancakes. I jazzed up my favorite Buttermilk Pancake recipe (from my cookbook) today with some malt powder and chocolate chips. Not even kidding, these babies don’t even need syrup. A nice dollop of whipped cream and you are good to go. Hope you enjoy!
Try my Raspberry Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes too! Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration.
Malted milk….this stuff is magical. I’ve used it in pancakes, cookies, muffins, you name it….it’s amazing! You’ll find it near the chocolate milk in your grocery store.
Chocolate chips to go in the pancakes please 🙂
Mix up your pancake batter. Nice and simple.
Stir in some chocolate chips and they are ready to be cooked up!
Easy Pancake Recipe
Stack those babies nice and tall….and enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Pancakes
- Mix lightly and give batter a rest! Mix pancakes minimally to avoid forming toughening gluten. There are a few ways to ensure that you mix pancake batter well without overmixing it. Have all your ingredients at room temperature. Mix cold buttermilk and eggs with melted butter and you get clumps of butter—not the end of the world, but not optimal for even distribution.
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients separately before combining.
- Give the batter a rest before cooking. A rest of at least five minutes allows for the even hydration of the batter and also allows the gluten you created—which will develop even with careful, minimal mixing—to relax. The lumps will smooth out somewhat during this rest.
- Test a small pancake in the hot skillet/griddle to make sure temperature is good. No need to waste a full size pancake.
- Cook until bubbles cover the surface; flip before they all break.
Chocolate Chip Malted Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons malt powder I used Carnation
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Place flour, malt powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, egg, vanilla and chocolate chips into a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, spoon about 1/4 cup batter into center of pan. With spoon, form round pancake quickly. Let cook for 60 seconds or until batter starts to bubble. With spatula, flip and cook an additional minute or until cooked through and browned. Continue until all batter is used.
- To prepare whipped cream whisk heavy whipping cream and sugar in mixing bowl until whipped cream forms. Top each pancake with a dollop of whipped cream and additional chocolate chips if desired.