I love anything gingerbread, so when I saw these on “Peabody’s” blog, I knew I just had to make them today. It is a recipe from McCormick.com and it’s a keeper. The cake is sooo soft and the cream cheese frosting is heavenly, as usual. For anyone that bought that William Somoma Vanilla Spice Butter, add 2 Tbsps to the frosting, it was so yummy! I give this recipe 2 thumbs up! Perfect for the holidays, Enjoy!
Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed. Stir in molasses and water just until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup of the icing; refrigerate remaining icing. Spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) of the reserved icing over batter in pan. With knife or spatula, swirl icing through batter to marbleize.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Lift out of pan using foil. Cool completely on wire rack. Invert and peel off foil. Spread refrigerated icing over bars. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.