Sharing our very favorite blueberry pie today that is heaven sent! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries for this homemade blueberry pie. The homemade pie crust is flaky perfection too!
There is something quite magical about warm blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream on top. My homemade blueberry pie is one of our favorite pies to enjoy throughout the year. Fresh or frozen blueberries are fine in this recipe.
Blueberry Pie Recipe
Here are the basic ingredients you’ll need for your homemade blueberry pie. Full ingredient list below in recipe.
Blueberry Pie Filling
To prepare your blueberry pie filling, place your berries, sugar, corn starch, lemon juice and water into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until mixture boils and thickens.
Takes about 7-10 minutes.
Once blueberry filling is ready, remove from heat and let cool for a good 20 minutes.
Homemade All Butter Pie Crust
See my Homemade All Butter Pie Crust post for full details.
Once pie crust has chilled, roll out and transfer to your pie plate.
Fill with your blueberry pie filling.
You can place a regular round pie crust for the top or make a lattice topping like I’ve done here.
Brush tops with an egg wash .
Top with granulated sugar and it’s time to bake!
Bake until golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
I like to serve the pie warm and top with vanilla ice cream, so you can see here the pie was still hot when I cut mine 🙂 It’s better to wait about 20 minutes. It will still be warm, but much easier to slice.
Jackpot! Hope you enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Pie Crust
- Use VERY cold butter. I even freeze mine right before getting ready to make. Butter should be well-chilled and cut into small pieces to start with for the flakiest crust in the end. The fat in a pie crust must maintain some of its integrity in the dough to make the flakes in the crust truly flaky.
- Consistency of dough doesn’t have to be tiny “cornmeal size” before adding water. Many recipes call for you to work the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles cornmeal. There should still be a few larger chunks of fat within the dough to ensure optimum flakiness.
- Chill dough and store dough in discs. Before you chill or roll-out the dough, shape it into an even disk with smooth edges. This makes the dough easier to roll out quickly and evenly and helps avoid cracking on the edges.
- Chill the pie dish/plate before adding crust. This will help the pie keep its shape when baked.
Homemade All Butter Pie Crust
- 2 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries I used fresh
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- To prepare pie crust, add the flour, sugar and salt to a stand mixer with paddle attachment or whisk attachment. Beat on low to combine. Add cold butter, beat until most of the butter is the size of small peas with the flour mixture.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the ice water until dough forms and is combined.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured countertop, kneading a couple times to combine. Divide dough in half, flatten slightly and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or freeze for 30 minutes before using. When ready to use, roll out round large enough to fit your pie plate. Transfer to pie dish and crimp the edges as desired.
- To prepare blueberry pie filling, place blueberries, corn starch, sugar and lemon juice into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and let mixture cook, boil and bubble until thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes before transferring to pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour pie filling into bottom pie crust spreading evenly. Top with second pie crust. Form a lattice topping or just a full pie crust with slits on top. Mix egg and water together then brush top of pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Serve with scoops of vanilla ice cream on top if desired.