Isn’t it crazy the amount of food we, or I should say, “I” consume during the holidays? No wonder losing weight is on EVERYONE’S New Years Resolution list! This happens to me every January, I promise to eat better, so I don’t have to stare at my love handles getting bigger and bigger! Although this oath doesn’t last for more than a couple weeks, I thought it’d be fun to share some of my favorite salads of last year so we can all lighten up! Enjoy, and happy exercising! Bring on the heated Yoga!
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Cup finely chopped onion
1 lb ground turkey breast
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt (I used Lawry’s)
1 12 oz bag of Broccoli Slaw (found it at Super Target, saw it at Sprouts also)
1 small can drained water chestnuts
½ Cup Yoshida’s Teriyaki Sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Approximately 15 Butter Lettuce leaves (you can also use iceberg lettuce leaves)
1. Place oil into a large 5 qt skillet or other large pan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add ground turkey, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Brown and crumble until cooked through.
2. When turkey is cooked, stir in broccoli slaw, water chestnuts, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Serve spoonfuls inside lettuce leaves. Enjoy!
3 Cups thinly sliced Green Leaf Lettuce
¼ Cup corn
¼ Cup black beans
8 grape tomatoes, halved
1 cooked grilled chicken breast
¼ Cup favorite BBQ Sauce
¼ Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ Cup prepared ranch dressing
1 heaping Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro leaves
1. Place lettuce into a salad bowl. Layer with corn, black beans and tomatoes. Dice cooked chicken breast and mix with BBQ sauce. Top over salad and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
2. Place ranch dressing and cilantro leaves into a small bowl to combine. Drizzle over salad and serve.
**This recipe is for 1 large serving, double accordingly**
2 Cups uncooked brown rice
8 oz cooked wild rice (I get it precooked at Trader Joes)
1 ½ Cups cooked shredded chicken breast
3.5 oz package of crumbled feta cheese
10 oz package of grape tomatoes, quartered
10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
½ Cup-3/4 Cup Italian Dressing (I used Ken’s Italian)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Fresh Baby Spinach leaves
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions (use rice cooker, if available, much quicker). Let cool or refrigerate. Once cool, place all ingredients except spinach, into a large bowl. Lightly toss to coat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and serve over a bed of fresh baby spinach leaves. Drizzle top with additional dressing if desired. Serve cold.
Fig Preserve Vinaigrette
¼ Cup fig preserves
½ Cup olive oil
¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Bag of mixed greens
Crumbled Goat Cheese
Brown Sugar Maple Bacon (see recipe above)
1. Place fig preserves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper into a food processor. Process until emulsified. Set aside.
2. On salad plates arrange mixed greens, crumbled goat cheese, bacon pieces and pecans. Drizzle with fig preserve vinaigrette.
Enjoy the rest of your Holiday week! See you soon with NEW recipes from my NEW home for a NEW Year!!
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.