My little guy has been asking for spaghetti and meatballs for the last few days, so I thought I’d make some. I’ve had these little mozzarella balls in my fridge for the last week and needed to use them up, so here they are stuffed inside the meatballs.
After I made my boys their noodles for their spaghetti, I thought meatball hoagies sounded like a better idea for my husband and I since I had been making pasta so much.
I bought these yummy garlic ciabatta rolls from Walmart. They were so good, they tasted just like crispy garlic toast. I broiled them in the oven with some provolone cheese until nice and toasty.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Hoagies1 lb ground beef
2 Tablespoons milk
½ Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil12-15 1 inch mozzarella balls (marinated in olive oil)
1 26oz jar favorite pasta sauce, or homemade sauce
4-6 Garlic Ciabatta Rolls, or other rolls of choice, cut in half
4 sliced provolone cheese, each cut into halves1. Preheat oven to 350. Place beef, egg, milk, hot sauce, bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, oregano and basil in a large bowl. With hands or large spoon, mix until well combined.
2. Scoop about ¼ Cup meat mixture in hands; press 1 mozzarella ball into middle of meat and form a ball around the cheese. Do this until all meat and cheese is used up; makes about 12-15 large meatballs.
3. Place all meatballs into a 9×13 inch baking dish that has ¼ Cup olive oil spread into bottom. Bake for 20 minutes; flip all meatballs. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
4. Place pasta sauce into a large pot. Place cooked meatballs in sauce. Simmer on low heat.
5. Place ½ slice of provolone onto the cut sides of rolls. Place onto tin foil or baking sheet and broil in oven for 1-2 minutes or until rolls are toasted and cheese is melted.
6. Place 3-4 meatballs onto bottom halves of toasted rolls. Spoon pasta sauce over meatballs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Close with top roll and serve warm.