My Classic Homemade Meatballs are perfect for parties or in a big bowl of spaghetti. Simple to prepare and perfectly seasoned!
My Classic Homemade Meatballs are one of my favorite things….ever. When I have a little time on my hands, I love hand rolling each meatball, browning them and simmering in pasta sauce. The house smells fantastic too! You’re going to love my recipe, be sure to give it a try!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Makes The Best Pasta. These meatballs added to pasta, makes for the perfect bowl of pasta.
- Easy To Make. With my step by step instructions, you’ll be able to make these meatballs with no problems at all!
- Terrific Leftovers. I love these meatballs the next day in a toasted sandwich. They’re just as delicious as leftovers.
Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious meatball recipe at home. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- Ground Beef– Use a lean ground beef for the meatballs.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt– These will part of the seasonings for the meatballs.
- Garlic– Minced garlic gives flavor to the meatballs.
- Heavy Cream– Heavy cream is added to the ground beef for moisture.
- Parmesan Cheese– Grated Parmesan cheese is added to the ground beef for flavor.
- Panko Breadcrumbs– Panko is a crispy breadcrumb that works great for meatballs.
- Mustard– Just a little mustard is added to the meatball mixture for flavor.
- Fresh Basil– Fresh basil is added to the meatball mixture and used to garnish the tops.
- Egg– A large egg is added to the meatball mixture for moisture.
- Pasta Sauce– Use your favorite variety of pasta sauce for the recipe. We love Rao’s Brand.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil– The olive oil is used to brown the meatballs.
How To Make Homemade Meatballs
Ground Beef In Mixing Bowl. Place ground beef into a large mixing bowl.
Add Seasonings. To the bowl of ground beef, add salt, pepper and garlic salt.
Minced Garlic and Heavy Cream. Add the minced garlic and heavy cream.
Parmesan Cheese and Parmesan. Add Parmesan Cheese and Panko to the mixing bowl of ground beef.
Mustard and Fresh Basil. Add yellow mustard and fresh basil to bowl of ground beef.
Egg. Add egg to bowl of ground beef.
Form Meatballs. Roll the beef mixture into even size meatballs. I use a medium cookie scoop to form same-size meatballs.
Cook Meatballs. Heat large skillet with oil over medium heat. When hot, cook meatballs until browned on both sides and cooked through. When done, transfer to a plate.
Simmer Meatballs. Wipe any remaining oil out of pan then add pasta sauce, warming over medium low heat. Place meatballs into sauce and let simmer until ready to serve.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Don’t Overmix. Don’t over mix meat mixture. Over mixing makes “tough” meatballs. Stir until just combined.
- Hot Pan. Make sure pan is nice and hot before adding raw meatballs. A hot pan will ensure you get nice browned edges.
- Simmer Meatballs. Let meatballs simmer in pasta sauce for a few hours for an even more tasty result.
- Add To Pasta. Add meatballs to any of your favorite variety of cooked pasta.
- Double The Recipe. Make a double batch of the recipe. Freeze second batch in an airtight container to use for another dinner.
- Use For Meatball Hoagies! These meatballs make excellent Meatball Hoagies for another dinner idea.
How To Serve
Serve meatballs by themselves with warm pasta sauce in a bowl or on top of cooked pasta of your choice. They’re also fantastic in sliders and hoagies.
Store leftover meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat meatballs in a small saucepan with some pasta sauce covering the bottom of the pan, over medium low heat, stirring until hot.
Try More Delicious Meatball Recipes
Classic Homemade Meatballs
- chef knife
- cutting board
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoons
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced basil leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 large egg
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh sliced basil leaves to garnish
- Place ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic salt, minced garlic, cream, Parmesan, Panko, mustard, basil and egg into a large mixing bowl. Gently stir to combine all ingredients. Don't over mix.
- Roll the beef mixture into even size meatballs. I use a medium cookie scoop to form same-size meatballs.
- Heat large skillet with oil over medium heat. When hot, cook meatballs until browned on both sides and cooked through. When done, transfer to a plate.
- Wipe any remaining oil out of pan then add pasta sauce, warming over medium low heat. Place meatballs into sauce and let simmer until ready to serve.
- Before serving, garnish with additional Parmesan and fresh basil leaves. Serve as an appetizer or with spaghetti.