I need to wish Picky Palate a belated Happy 2 Year Birthday! I’m a tad late, but I thought it would be fun to celebrate it on my actual birthday too! Yes, it’s my birthday today. I was hoping once 30 hit, birthdays would slow down a little, unfortunately that is NOT the case. My birthdays are flying by faster than ever!
This is such a fun recipe I am thrilled to share with you on this special day. I started playing around in the kitchen and came up with these ultra bright and cheery cupcakes. They are incredibly easy and are such “lookers!” They are beautiful, really.
Take a look at the process these babies go through….. Enjoy!
This is my favorite part! Take 2 little spoons and start filling the cups with all of your different colored batter. Don’t make it perfect, they are prettier when they are a bit messy!
Ready for the oven!
Look at that! Right out of the oven so pretty and puffy!
I definitely got carried away with the photos, sorry!
Rainbow Bright Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 Cup water
8 oz sour cream
small box instant vanilla pudding mix
Food Coloring Paste: Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and Purple (I used the William Sonoma brand’s paste)
Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting of Choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, beat the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and pudding on medium until well combined. Batter will be nice and thick. Divide batter evenly between 5 white or glass bowls. Drop 5 different colors of food coloring into each cake batter bowl until you reach your desired colors. Stir well. Spoon each color into paper lined cupcake tins until all are filled. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and let cool completely. Frost with frosting of choice.
Have a great rest of your week and weekend! See you all soon!!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
- food coloring paste I used red, blue, yellow, green, and purple (All from William Sonoma brand's paste)
- vanilla or cream cheese frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand or electric mixer, beat the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and pudding on medium until well combined. Batter will be nice and thick.
- Divide batter evenly between 5 white or glass bowls. Drop 5 different colors of food coloring into each cake batter bowl until you reach your desired colors. Stir well.
- Spoon each color into paper lined cupcake tins until all are filled. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove and let cool completely. Frost with frosting of choice.
You can certainly see your skills within the article you write.
The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
At all times go after your heart.
The small box of vanilla pudding did you use the ingredients on the box or did you just put the package in the mixing bowl?
That is so cool I’m gana make some for a bake sale on Friday in fillmore
Oh, that’s so fun :p It’s perfect for a child birthday 😉
Hi Jenny, the size of box cake mix has changed to 15 oz. does this recipe stay the same? Or is there less of something?
My kids love these! Instead of bowls I put the batter into ziplock bags. Little less clean up and I think its easier to despense. Thanks so much for all of your hard work.
Second time making them and they are just as fun!! I made them in rainbow colors and layered them… They were SO cute and so tasty!!
These are adorable and PERFECT for a darling granddaughter’s 4th birthday!
will it be okay if there is no pudding mix? what can i use as an alternative? thank you.
Hey, I am excited to make these but wondered if these are mini cupcakes or regular sized? Just wondering if they are mini how long do I bake them?
Made some of these with my son this weekend!!! Love them! I think that I have eaten about 7 of them since Friday! Thanks so much….love your website.
Thanks for the great idea. I have celiac disease, so I have to make everything gluten-free. I adapted your recipe to fit my special diet, and made these for a picnic I am going to today.