Sharing the most adorable Shortbread Cookies with you today, perfect for Valentine’s Day! This is the best shortbread cookie recipe you’ll need, buttery sweet perfection!
Shortbread cookies are some of my favorite cookies to make and of course EAT! The buttery sweet combo is dangerously delicious. Hope you enjoy my cookies perfect for Valentine’s Day….or really any occasion.
Be sure to follow Picky Palate on Instagram for sneak peeks on what’s coming next to the blog!
You only need a few ingredients to create these perfectly adorable Valentine cookies so let’s get started 🙂
What Is A Shortbread Cookie?
Did you know shortbread cookies consist of mainly just 3 ingredients? Butter, Sugar and Flour! I mean, how could they not be delicious? Such a simple recipe with sweet buttery crisp flavor. My favorite!
Beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy like this.
Add your flour and salt to the bowl.
There we go, now time to roll it out. No need for chilling in the refrigerator.
Find some heart cookie cutters in your supply. I used a 3 inch and then a 1 inch to create these cookies.
Transfer them to your baking sheet.
Use a spreadable jam of your choice for the 3 inch cookie shapes.
Perfect, now time to bake!
While the cookies are baking, make the icing. All you need is powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream.
The icing should be nice and thick, but spreadable just like this.
Once the cookies are cool enough to handle, place the heart centered cookie on top of the solid heart jam covered cookies. Make sure you spread jam on the inside of the small hearts and top with icing.
Spread with icing and sprinkle with your favorite sprinkles 🙂
Aren’t they pretty?! Can’t wait for you to try these!
Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 sticks/1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup spreadable jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 jar sprinkle balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper. Place butter, sugars, flour and salt into stand mixer, mix until well combined and dough forms. Transfer to a parchment lined countertop and roll to about 1/4 inch thick round. Use heart cookie cutters to form cookies and transfer to baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of jam on only the whole hearts. Freeze sheet of cookies for 10 minutes before baking. This helps the cookies hold their heart shape.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. I like to spread another light layer of jam over the warm cookies that had jam already, this helps the cookies stick together nicely.
- Place powdered sugar and cream into a bowl, whisking to combine. Add additional cream to desired icing consistency. Frost over cooled cookies and sprinkle with sprinkles. Make sure to use the mini heart shapes to make cookie sandwiches. Sandwich with jam then top with icing. Enjoy!