Feb
2008

Puffy Peanut Butter Cup and Cheesecake Swirled Brownies

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Hope everyone had a nice weekend and have some fun plans for President’s Day with the kids. My husband and I were movie going fools over the weekend. It started Valentine’s night, we went to see “Definately, Maybe.” Cute movie, perfect for Valentine’s Day. Then, Friday night we went and saw “Jumper,” we both really enjoyed it. Action packed and a cute love story as well. I’m always up for going to the movies.

Now onto these brownies….I find it interesting to see people’s reaction to using brownie mixes. You either use them or you don’t. I guess I’m some where in the middle, because I make both quite often. I know some people think it’s kind of a lazy way to make dessert, but I have to tell you, if you fix them up with just enough goodies, most people have no idea!

I was in charge of bringing a dessert for a church event this evening and didn’t have much time on time on my hands, so I pulled out my handy brownie mix that I always have on hand. Now, what to do with it…. Can one ever go wrong with the chocolate/peanut butter combo, and cheesecake swirled center? I think not! I just knew these would be a hit. I love the puffed up marshmallows piled on top, they add a sweet chewy texture along with the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and chocolate chips.

I say, don’t be afraid of using brownie mixes, in a time crunch they are handy and can always be tweeked to seem beautifully homemade! Enjoy!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cup and Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
1 brownie mix of choice (9×13 size), along with ingredients as directed on back of package
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 Cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 Cups mini marshmallows
12 regular size Reeses Peanut Butter cups, cut into cubes
1 Cup chocolate chips
1/4 Cup creamy peanut butter, melted in microwave to drizzle

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place brownie mix and ingredients on back of box as directed (eggs, oil, water) into a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined and pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. In a separate bowl mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Drop by the Tablespoonfuls evenly over the brownie batter. Take a knife or toothpick and swirl the cheese mixture through the brownie batter. Bake for 30-32 minutes or until cooked through.

2. Once brownies are just about cooked, with about 2 minutes left, sprinkle marshmallows, Reeses cups and chocolate chips over brownies. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed slightly. Remove and cool completely before cutting. While brownies are cooling, drizzle melted peanut butter over bars. Let cool.

3. Once cool, use a plastic knife to cut into squares for an easy non stick cut. Enjoy!

Comments

Karen says:

Your pictures makes my mouth water! Looks sooo good.

bakingblonde says:

Those look great. I am sure everyone loved them. I too have used a box mix for brownies in a pinch, however, homemade brownies are so easy to make as well.
    I too, love the combination of PB and chocolate and created Double PB cheesecake swirled brownies to die for (in my blog) if you are interested.

Nicole says:

Those look really good. I’m… losing … willpower ……

Thank goodness I don’t have all the ingredients in the house to make them!

Emiline says:

I don’t think I had homemade brownies at all when I was growing up. We always had mixes in the closet and nobody complained, because they were good!

These look outrageous!

furiousBall says:

if i’m ever on death row, i want an entire tray as my last meal, i know what you’re thinking, but that’s a lot of fat that will go right to my hips. it’s ok, i’m about to be electrocuted to death.

Erin says:

Who knew you could gain weight just looking at a photo. I would never be able to resist these, not with all of those peanut butter cups on top!

Bonnie says:

Those look DELICIOUS !!!!!

Kevin says:

Those look so good!! Brownies, cream cheese, peanut butter and marshmallows, oh my!

Cami D. says:

I think I gained 2 lbs just looking at those! I’m glad I wasn’t at that event ha ha! :) They look delicious!

Melanie C. says:

Wow–I love how you made these amazing brownies starting with a mix! You transformed them!!!! I am very impressed with your abilities! Yum!!

Jaime says:

oh my! these look amazing! i saw bakingblonde’s brownies recently and did a double take when i saw your post – guess you guys were both craving the same sweets :)

i don’t see anything wrong with boxed mixes either….your brownies look fabulous and totally homemade! :)

Thanks everyone! These were fun brownies to make and even better to eat! Hope you all enjoy.

Deborah says:

These look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Martin Family says:

Jenny you are so talented and amazing! I found this link to your blog from one of my friend’s and then I saw your pic & realized it was yours! I just got my first recipe book and I’m writing all these down in it…might take me a while! When I get done with school and have a real job can I hire you for cooking lessons?
    -Jen(Jolley)Martin
    P.S. tell Cullen I said hi!

Blackeyedsue says:

NOT what this dieting girl needed to see.

(I am making them tonight after my kids are in bed!)

Christy Lee says:

I made this. This was fantastic. I’m making it again! I love your blog and think you’re an amazing cook…baker…whatever it is you choose to be!! Keep posting recipes, and I’ll keep trying them!

Salsa Mama says:

I made these yesterday for my mom’s birthday. They were positively wonderful!!! I couldn’t believe how good they were. Thank you so much! What a special treat!

rvan says:

Every recipe of yours that I have tried I have loved, this one is no exception, You are truly talented, and you make me want to cook more and more! Thanks, Randi

Kaime says:

I finally got brave and tried one of your recipes that look so tasty. This is so wonderful. I did not have one person that I made them for not love them. Thanks for always sharing.

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, your killing me with these, girl you are quite the baker!!!

Heidi Davidson says:

I made this last night for a friends birthday at work and everyone loved it. It was very easy to make.

I think you are my new blog crush;-). On a serious note you have great recipes and fab pictures. Can’t wait to get a copy of the cookbook.

[...] The original source of this recipe is here. [...]