Mar
2008

Happy 100th Post Picky Palate!

Tags:

Desserts

Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies With Blueberry Ganache

Ok, I’m a total geek, now I’m celebrating my post’s.

If you need a chocolate fix, these should do the trick! Another heavenly recipe, I tweeked from a 1993 Cookworks show on Food Network. I remember watching and really learning from Cookworks, they have since cut it from Food Networks weekly line up. Too bad.

I’m always looking for ways to make things a little easier in recipes that I try from various cookbooks/shows, so instead of using blocks of chocolate, (which I rarely have around), I used good quality chocolate chips, like Ghiradelli. I also had some frozen blueberries in the freezer that I wanted to use. I love chocolate covered blueberries, so I thought, why not use it in the ganache?! It is serioulsy spoon licking delicious! Just a hint of blueberry, a great combo with chocolate.

These brownies are rich, buttery, chocolaty and ultra fudgy. I can’t wait to have one of these tonight with a tall glass of milk, yum!

Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies With Blueberry Ganache

1 cup unsalted butter
¾ Cup best-quality semisweet chocolate chips (Ghiradelli’s is great)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Hershey’s Dark cocoa powder
8oz mascarpone cheese, softened
6 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine salt
Ganache, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 9 x 13-inch square pan and set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and bring it to just below a boil. Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl. Pour in the hot butter and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder. Beat in the mascarpone, eggs, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Gently fold the flour and salt into the batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Spread the warm ganache over the brownies. Allow the ganache to set completely before cutting into squares.

Blueberry Ganache:

1 12 oz bag best-quality semisweet chocolate chips
2 Cups frozen blueberries

1/2 Cup sugar
½ Cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place the chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Place the blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture becomes sauce like and bubbly. Pour into a sieve or strainer that is placed over a bowl to catch blueberry liquid. Discard remaining blueberries. Pour blueberry liquid over chocolate chips. Bring the cream and butter to just below boiling point in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture until smooth.

The ganache should be used for spreading while warm.

Comments

Patsyk says:

Oh, wow! I am a total chocoholic and adore a thick fudgey brownie. gonna have to make these and soon.. right after I try the outrageous oreo brownies from another blog that I found recently. I’m in chocolate & brownie heaven!

Steele's says:

Okay, seriously, how on earth do you cut the brownies so perfectly???? All I can say is your brownies are perfection! I would have frosting smeared everywhere. I don’t think brownies in my house would even last long enough to be frosted!

A. Grace says:

congrats on the 100th post!

also, chocolate-covered blueberries make my heart sing.

amanda. says:

Oh my goodness. Those look sinful!

Emily says:

Ooooooo! It looks like I could just reach out and swipe a finger in that ganache! :)

Thanks for the great recipe! I’m getting addicted to checking your blog for new recipes all the time!

Cara says:

Happy 100th post! All of your creations always look so amazing! These brownies look delicious….I’ve never had chocolate with blueberry before, but now I want to try it!

Jeena says:

Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
    or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x

Chris & Allie says:

Um…this looks like heaven to me. So much for losing 30 pounds.

Chris & Allie says:

Oh, and I thought I knew food, but what in the world is Mascarpone cheese?

Patsyk,
    Oreo brownies? Yummm! I think I love any kind of brownies!

Steele’s,
    It’s funny, these brownies cut so beautifully. I just used a plastic knife, that way the brownies don’t stick to it.

Thanks A. Grace!

Hi Amanda,
    Totally sinful!

Thanks for checking in often Emily. This ganache is so good.

Hi Cara,
    The blueberry flavor goes so great with the chocolate.

Hi Jeena,
    I’ll have to come check out your forum!

Chris and Allie,
    Mascarpone cheese is similar to cream cheese, but with a softer, milder flavor. It’s creamy and delicious. It is used in many Italian desserts. Give it a try!

RecipeGirl says:

Hmmm… sounds delicious. I made the original of this recipe a couple of weeks ago on my blog. But the addition of the blueberry flavor does sound quite yummy!

Deborah says:

Happy 100th!! I celebrated mine too, so I don’t think you’re a dork!

I’m having a major chocolate craving today, and these are not helping the situation at all. I need to go home and make myself some brownies!

Nash says:

Jenny-
    My husband turns 30 on saturday and is a chocolate freak. I don’t know if he’ll like the blueberries, and I like something that isn’t tooooo rich. WIll these do the trick? Do you have any ideas? I have some deep cupcake pans I have yet to use. I thought about making those and shaping them into a 3 and a 0??? BUT he loves brownies. WHat to do????

Mer says:

Congrats on your 100th post! :0)

I had mine not too long ago, and I was a bit disappointed that no one noticed it and commented. But all those DBers trying to get to as many French Bread posts as they could might easily over-look such a thing, right, amid the “how many food blogs have I looked at” daze?

In any case, enjoy yours! :0)

Kevin says:

Congratulations on 100 posts!

Those brownies look so moist and dense and fudgy and decadently chcolaty! They look amazing!

Suzanne says:

Your killin’ me with all the blueberry recipes lately. I gotta try them all!!! We made the pancakes the other day, I put the pic of them on my blog–well actually my dog blogged about them…LOL! IF you visit my blog you will understand the “blueberry thing”. I hope your hubby’s mouth feels better soon!

Emiline says:

Congrats on 100!

The brownies look perfect. I love blueberries.
    I used to watch Cookworks too. It would come on really late. Like 2 or 3 AM, and I would watch it. I thought the lady that taught the class was kind of mean sometimes.

Kim A says:

Where were these in the zoo snack bag???

Recipe girl,
    I will definitely be saving this recipe, it’s just the perfect texture of a brownie in my opinion. Mmm!

Thanks Deborah,
    Go make yourself some brownies!! I’m such a chocoholic!

Hi Shanda,
    Here’s what I would do. Use your deep cupcake pan with my chocolate cupcake recipe from Christmas. Scroll down until you see it with the candy cane sprinkles, but use crushed up oreos on top instead. They’d be delicious! Then like you said, shape them into a 30 shape. Email me if you have any other questions. He’d really like those Puffy Peanut Butter Cup brownies too, if he’s a brownie lover.

HI Mer,
    I scrolled down to see your post and know what you were talking about. I bet the DB’s missed the “100th Post” completely. Your bread looked amazing. Congrats to you on your 100th post as well!

Thanks Kevin!

Suzanne,
    Too funny, I went and read your post with your dog. I love it. Too cute.

Hi Emiline,
    That’s probably why FN cut Cookworks, because that host did come across a bit bossy!!

Kimmy,
    They were probably at the bottom of you snack bag!

Nash says:

You are amazing. He absolutely LOVES peanut butter, and oreos. I had looked at your christmas ones, but hadn’t thought of changing up the sprinkles. I think that is what I’ll do. I’ll post a pic if it turns out. I’m not the best cook and a worse baker.
    Thank you thank you!!

Steph says:

Wow, that looks irresistable! Congrats on your 100th post! I love your blog and look for new posts daily! It’s a little piece of sunshine!

The Fischer Family says:

Oh these look soooo goood! Wow! My tummy is growlin’ just lookin’! Congrats on your 100th post.

Cupcakes & Yoga says:

Awww congratulations! What a yummy way to celebrate!

rvan says:

ok, where do I begin? So many recipes to try!!! But i’m so excited for these it’s hard to find a good brownie recipe that isn’t too “cakey”. I just made your cream cheese cinabuns, I’m eating one now…holy yumminess and we had your mac n cheese tonight, soooo good, my husband loved it1!! I also bought blueberries today for your cookies!!! I’m going to be exercising a ton!! I also told a friend about your blog today and how great it is and she already knew you!!! Chalon Allen!! Small world!
    Randi

Kim A says:

WHERE’S THE NEW POST….I’M WAITING FOR IT!

Libby says:

Happy 100th! I’ve told so many of my friends about your wonderful blog and they just LOVE it!! Hey, by the way I watched you last weekend on tv and you looked marvelous!!! I was so proud of my spritz sister!!! I can’t wait to make your recipe. It looks so yummy. Tell Cullen good luck with his braces. It was fun to see him and your babe on tv too. Was that Mason with him? Thanks for all of your yummy recipes!

Melissa says:

Those look great! I love mascarpone with maple on top of german pancakes!! yummm!!!

Oh hey, so I saw you on the mac and cheese contest! It was so funny, I was in the kitchen and I heard the tv say what was coming on next and I was like, “oh hey, I know someone whos on there!”, and my boys are like, “wow mom you know a tv star!”….LOL! They sat there an watched you, it was so funny!!!

Martin Family says:

JENNY…you are the next Rachel Ray…but better! I am going to write Oprah about you, at least that’s how I heard Rachel got her start!
    Bridget told me you can taste anything and make it! I had the most delicious mixed berry & chicken salad form Nordy’s cafe today and I want to make it but I need a good Raspberry Vinaigarette dressing like the one they used. Do you have any recipes like that you’d want to share???

Jaime says:

wow, what a great way to throw the blueberries in there!

happy 100th post! you’ve won an award :)

Proud Italian Cook says:

Happy 100th posts Jenny, Woo Hoo!!

Kim says:

I made these brownies last night and they were delicious. However, the ganache was so runny it never got thick and hard like yours did in the picture. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Kim,
    Maybe there was extra liquid coming from your blueberries, that’s all I can think of. Next time, don’t add as much cream, that way it will harden up a bit more.

Kim,
    I just edited the original recipe for just a little less cream and butter, this should help thicken it up.

Hi Lisa, who emailed 7-2-08,

I don’t remember these a spongy texture at all, I would suspect they were cooked a little too long. Hope you’ll get the fudgy texture next time!

caitlin says:

I made this recipe today for a dinner party I am going to tomorrow. The batter alone was so good. I have made a lot of your stuff and everything I make gets rave reviews. Keep them coming!

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

Jenny,
    Do you think you could use cream cheese in these instead of marscapone?

Angelica Hedges says:

I would like to be inside your head, when you come up with these receipies, this looks amazing!!!! How do you think of these combinations???