Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Apr
2008

Chicken Pot Pie Bowls with Puffy Croutons and Blog Award

Tags:

Dinner

It’s late, so forgive any typos and annoying discussion of my favorite tv shows. I find it so unwinding after I put the boys to bed to plop down on the couch, kick my feet up and indulge in some good reality tv from time to time. American Idol was ready and waiting for me on my tivo. I really have been rooting for Brooke White, especially since she is an AZ girl, but have to say she’s probably about done. I really think it’s going to come down to the 2 Davids’. Both really great. I can see David Cook doing more though. Did you hear he is dating Lacy from So You Think You Can Dance from last season? Guess they met on “Idol Gives Back.” Can’t wait for SYTYCD season 3 and Grey’s Anatomy is coming back Thursday, Yay! And how cute does Maid of Honor look with Patrick Dempsey coming out in a few weeks?

Now, onto the good stuff. Those that are on diets, pleas look away, this could be way too tempting…..

This is a great alternative to the traditional chicken pot pie. I serve it in a bowl with light, flaky, and buttery puff pastry croutons. Easy, fattening, and totally comforting. I had to laugh when my husband asked me if this dinner was healthy. I thought the cream base would have been a dead give away! Like I’ve said before, moderation and some good self control! Don’t eat 2 big bowls at one sitting and you’ll be fine!

These puff pastry croutons are ridiculously good. Must try!

Chicken Pot Pie Bowls with Puffy Croutons

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium white onion finely diced
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 stick butter (I know, I hear the groans)
½ Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1 Cup half and half (there go the groans again)
½ Cup low fat sour cream (better?)
1 Cup petite peas, frozen is fine
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of garlic salt, Lawry’s

1 sheet thawed puff pastry
1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp water
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning

1. Heat oil into a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Saute carrots, onion, celery and onion until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low stir in chicken and simmer.

2. In a separate medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and half and half until smooth. Increase heat to high while continually whisking until mixture thickens and almost starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream and peas. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic salt (won’t need much). Simmer on low while croutons are cooking.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Gently roll out puff pastry with a rolling pin to even thickness. With pastry brush, brush pastry with egg wash and lightly sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. With pizza cutter, cut into ½ inch squares. Place squares onto a large baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool.

4. Serve in pot pie base in bowls and top with puffy croutons, Enjoy!

________________________________________________

Thanks!

Thanks so much to Steph from Stephanie’s Kitchen and Lori from Recipe Girl for thinking of me for the “Blogging With Purpose Award.” These two ladies have blogs that I visit daily and just love! Thanks ladies for your nice comments.

I have a zillion favorites, but I’d like to pass on the award to a few of my daily visits! Check em’ out!

Tarah from Genesis of a Cook
I love her blog and can hardly believe she’s still in high school! I remember browsing through her blog one day and had to re-read her profile, I could hardly believe it. What a talented girl, I’m a huge fan of her creative recipes.

Deborah from Taste and Tell
Deborah is the ultimate cookbook recipe tester, I love checking in to see what she’s going to test next. She did a whole week of Rachel Ray’s recipes that all looked great. She takes great pics too!

Patsyk from Family Friends and Food
Patsyk has beautiful pictures and recipes that make your mouth water! Another daily visit for me!

Heather from Down Right Delish
Heather, another fellow hygienist, just started her own cooking blog and is doing great. Her recipes are tried and true and I’ve been enjoying seeing what she’s cooking.

The Sisters from The Sister’s Café
I love reading this group of sister’s favorite recipes. They always post real life recipes that sound so good!

Comments

RecipeGirl says:

Puff pastry croutons? You are brilliant. Those sound delicious.

Another great post :)

(p.s. I like David Cook!)

Sarah says:

Paula Deen does chicken pot pie at “The Lady and Sons” in Savannah like this only instead of croutons, it is a puff pastry lattice on top of the bowl of filling. It is to die for! Yours looks equally yummy!

Tarah says:

Oh! I feel so special and am honored that you choose me for this award! Thank you so much! I’m so glad that you like my blog and reading up on it. You don’t know how much that means to me! Thank you!! :DDD

Tarah says:

P.S. I like the puff pastry idea for the croutons! I’ll have to try that out soon! :]

Brittany says:

remember
    Thank you!! That is awesome that you chose our blog when there are so many wonderful cooking blogs – what a compliment. I read your blog all the time – your recipes are so tasty!!

Thanks Lori,
    My vote will be for David Cook, hope he wins.

Hi Sarah,
    I’ve always wanted to go to Paula Deen’s Restaurant in Savannah, sounds like I’d love her menu. Thanks for your comment.

Hi Tarah,
    Totally deserving! Yah, you’ll love these tasty croutons.

Hi Brittany,
    Very deserving, you ladies have a great blog.

Melanie says:

I am going to make this just for the croutons. Delicious!!

Kim A says:

Those croûtons are making my mouth water! Where were those when I was over :(

furiousBall says:

you know who has two thumbs and loves chicken pot pie?

this guy

that looks awesome!

Annemarie says:

I love your blog! This looks so good! I can’t wait to try those croutons!!

Lisa says:

This looks good! What a great way to make croutons. I will have to try it sometime.

I love American Idol. I zoomed through it last night(DVR’ed) and have to watch it over and pay attention this time. I think the 2 David’s will be last.

Hi Melanie,
    Totally worth it for the croutons. So good!

Thanks Furiousball!

Thanks AnnMarie,
    Hope you and your family enjoy!

Hi Lisa,
    Isn’t dvr the best invention ever? I can’t imagine sitting down to watch a show and having to watch the commercials. I love flying by them now! I agree, both david’s will be duking it out for the win!

Deborah says:

Thank you! You are too kind, and I love coming here to see what you cook up. And those croutons? I’ve got to make me some of those!

Tracy says:

That looks soooo yummy!

I’ve been watching Idol for the past few seasons but I can’t get excited about it this year. I haven’t watched last night’s episode on Tivo yet. I can see why you like Brooke — I’ll bet you would get along with her! I think Jason is kind of cool but dreadlocks gross me out. I saw an episode of What Not to Wear and they took out someone’s dreads and the dirt that was in them was just awful. I agree that it should come down to the 2 Davids — and as cute as David A is, I think David Cook should win. He’s done some interesting things musically and has been very consistent. I’m not sure about the “likable” factor though.

Lina says:

congrats on the award! WOW! Another way for me to use puff pastry! Cool croutons~!

Chelsea says:

Hi Jenny,
    Just had to stop in and say how much I enjoy your blog. I made your Chicken & Wild Rice soup tonight & I was a little scared that my boys (5 & 2) would gripe about the “green things” (spinach)… not only did they NOT mention it, they ate every bite!! It was so delicious! I have SO many of your recipes printed that I want to try. You are inspiring! Keep up the good work :)

Chelsea says:

Oops, sorry for the repeat! I was wondering what the heck happened to my comment!!

Steph says:

I would have never thought to use puff pastry as croutons, but it is genius! Delicious! I thought I was the only Mom that kicked her feet up as soon as the kids are in bed. :) My vote is for David Cook, he is awesome! Gotta love TiVo! I literally couldn’t live without it!

Kevin says:

That chicken pot pis looks nice and creamy and good!

Patsyk says:

Once again, you are making my mouth water with this recipe!

Thanks for the award! I’ve returned the favor and tagged you… come check it out!

KT says:

I am so glad that I stumbled across your blog. It has become a daily addiction and I have already made quite a few of your recipes which makes losing baby weight a little harder but oh well! Life is short- eat dessert firt:}

I have a challenge for you though. I have tons of Jam/Jelly in my food storage – plum, cherry, raspberry, strawberry, prickly pear, etc. – and I’d like to find other ways to use other than toast or pancakes (savory recipes would be nice). After trying to find recipes for using jam I thought of your blog and just needed some advice.

I eagerly await your ideas.

Melanie C. says:

Thanks so much for the award–that is very flattering! We sure love your blog! I am very excited to try the puff pastry croutons! That sounds amazing!!

Proud Italian Cook says:

I don’t know if I could stop at one bowl! Loving those croutons too! I like Brooke too, she seems sincere and honest.

Emiline says:

All I have to say is, David Cook! Proudly representing the great state of Missoui. Since January 2008.
    I was going to say the final three would be David, David, and Carly…but…
    Brooke screwed up last night. That was just awkward.
    Jason Castro is cute, but he needs more vocal skills.

Where was I? Oh, yes-pot pie bowls. They look great! Puff croutons sound good.

casa nova says:

I love your blog! It’s too cute! And Congrats on the Blog award! All your photos are done so well, and your recipes look delicious!

Veronica says:

Wow! That looks so yummy…I’m going to make it just for the croutons!

I’m with Tracy-David Cook. Too bad that Carly got eliminated-I like her voice, but the big tatoo down her arm was very distracting.

Tracy says:

I had to come back after last night’s Idol (I watched both episodes in a row — I love Tivo).

Anyway, if I knew it was Andrew Lloyd Weber’s music I would have tuned in sooner — love his stuff! Sayesha was my favorite performance of the night. That music lends itself to “big” voices but Brooke and Jason could have picked better songs for them. Brooke would have been better off with “Another Suitcase in Another Hall” from Evita. Jason, maybe the theme from “Starlight Express.” And I thought it was cool that David C. did his number “straight up” — just to show he could do something different.

Anyway, I think people vote on how much they “like” people as much as they vote on the music. Brooke and Jason are likable. Carly’s tattoo probably puts off some people. And did her husband have tattoos up to and over his face?

nicole says:

This looks so good. I also like the puff pastry croutons.

Mary Coleman says:

This looks too good. Love the idea of the puff pastry croutons.
    Great blog.
    I’ll be back!
    Mary

Nikki says:

This was fantastic

Leah says:

Jenny, I am a pot pie girl so this is right up my alley.

I’m with you – I think the two Davids are going to be in the finals too! I was sorry to see Carly go last night, although I heard someone on the radio last week say every time she sings she looks like she’s passing a kidney stone!

I mentioned you on my blog tonight. Pop on over!

Heather says:

Your croutons look amazing, I would have never thought of puff pastry! Thanks for the shout out and blog award.

Jaime says:

i love the croutons! you are a genius :)

Nikki says:

This was fantastic..Loved it

Christina says:

I made this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it, especially the croutons. I will never buy canned soup again because the soup base for this recipe makes a perfect cream soup. I did substitute canned veg all for the fresh vegetables but it was still delicious. I will definitely be trying more of your recipes. I’m already searching your site to figure out what I will fix tomorrow night.

Megan says:

I know people groan when you add butter or cream to a recipe but even with all of the fat of the cream and butter your recipes are SO much healthier than eating out. You never add unpronounceable chemicals or additives. A little butter and cream never hurt anyone, in moderation. Thank you for helping me be a better mommy chef!

David Cook’s vocal range is very good, i bet that he would be more famous in the future`~~

tmc says:

I made this last week. Only instead of the croutons I baked the puff pastry shells as normal. I served in bowls and just poured the sauce all in & around the shells. It was fabulous! My family ate it up! I will absolutely make this again! (I have a picture but I don’t think I can post that here?) I have passed your recipe on!