May
2008

A Little Shrimp Scampi For Your Holiday Weekend!

Tags: ,

Dinner

It is entirely too late to be blogging right now, but I wanted to post this recipe before the weekend!

You won’t see a whole lot of seafood recipes on Picky Palate, but I will admit to being a huge shrimp fan. It was funny, my husband came home from work and saw that I was making this shrimp pasta and he pouted like a baby, because he only likes breaded and fried shrimp. I told him the “wambulance” was waiting out front to pick him up.

As soon as the shrimp was done cooking, I had my boys come over for a taste and they both LOVED it. My oldest guy was chanting “I love shrimp!” I was giving my husband a hard time, letting him know he was totally out numbered!

This is a simple, rich and delicious dinner. I highly recommend trying it if you are a shrimp fan. The pasta itself is really tasty, my husband kept getting in it, fishing around the shrimp of course.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend! I’ll be taking the weekend off from the kitchen!

Simple Shrimp Scampi

5 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup finely chopped white onion
4 cloves garlic
24 medium cooked shrimp, devained, cleaned, shell removed (fresh or frozen)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ Cup chicken broth or white wine
2 pinches salt
¼ teaspoon fresh pepper
1 lb linguini fini dry pasta noodles
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ Cup fresh chives chopped

1. Place butter and olive oil into a large 5 qt skillet or other large pot over medium heat. Once melted and hot sauté onion for 3-5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic for 60 seconds then stir in shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and cook 4-6 minutes or until pink and firm and cooked through. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth. Reduce heat to low and set aside.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and stir into shrimp. Stir in 2 Tablespoons butter, parsley and chives. Serve and enjoy!

**The tails on the shrimp look nice for the picture, but in reality I cut them off before serving so you can dig in without worrying about the tails, Enjoy!**

________________________________

Huge thanks to Prudy over at Prudence Pennywise for the Artey Pico Award. Prudy has such a fun blog, do check it out! I will pass this award on after the weekend! Thanks again Prudy!!

Comments

Heather says:

Oh shrimp! Be still my heart. I ♥ shrimp in any form. I am going to try this one as soon as I can muster swallowing the crazy price for seafood. Happy Memorial Day and have a fun no cooking weekend.

Priscilla says:

Shrimp Scampi, my brother, sister, and Dad would love this! It looks delicious, but sadly, I am not a shrimp fan. :)

Lisa says:

What a delicious looking dinner! My husband is not much of a shrimp man either but I love it. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Leah says:

Gorgeous picture, Jenny! I love scampi.

I’m taking the weekend off the kitchen too…might throw some ribs on the grill but no heavy duty cooking will be happening here!

Have a great long weekend!

Prudy says:

Enjoy a cooking free weekend. Shrimp Scampi is one of my favorites. Ambrosia!

Deborah says:

We are seafood fans around my house, and this looks fantastic! Have a wonderful holiday!!

Thanks everyone,
    Hope you all enjoy the long weekend! I plan on eating lots of good food!

Autumn says:

Im always trying to find a good scampi recipe that’s not too greasy – this might be the trick!!

Have a great long weekend!

michelle @ TNS says:

oh crap, i’m totally going to start using the word “wambulance.”

awesome.

Emiline says:

Go kids! Way to go on making your dad feel bad for not liking shrimp!
    That is so funny.

The pasta looks delicious. I definitely feel like eating pasta tonight.

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Wambulance!!! LOL! That one pulls up to my house everytime I make biscotti! Kurt thinks they’re “dog bisquits”!
    Great shrimp scampi, girl!
    Have a fun weekend!!! Don’t cook a thing!!!

Amiee says:

I’m from Louisiana and I make a very similar scampi dish…here’s a fun twist on it. Throw in a little heavy cream, and you’ve got yourself a nice, creamy buttery sauce. If ya prefer the creamy kind, that is! It’s verrrry tasty!

Steph says:

This looks like a winner of a dish. My husband loves shrimp and I never make it for him! Poor husband. I will have to give this a try! Happy weekend! Relax and put up your feet!

Sarah says:

Wow. That looks good. The sauce looks so tasty and creamy!

Tracy says:

My oldest kid (and I) love shrimp, too! Wish I could get my husband to eat it. That looks delicious!

cari says:

I was just telling my husband the other night that I would love to make Shrimp Scampi sometime soon–perfect timing!!! Love your site.

nicole says:

Love shimp and it looks so good.I’m glad my husband likes shrimp. Have a good weekend.

Birdie says:

Shrimp scampi is one of my absolute favorites! This looks really good. Your pictures are getting better and better. Congrats on all your hard work

Birdie

RecipeGirl says:

This looks wonderful. Your hubby needs to branch out more. At least your kids loved it :) Have a terrific weekend!

Zen Chef says:

Thank you for leaving us with some food before going away for the week end. Scampi is yummy! :-)
    Have fun this week end.

Bennance says:

Hello! I just discovered your blog, and wanted to tell you how much I love your recipes. I love food blogs, but don’t often cook from them. Your blog has recipes that I’d easily make for my family (3 kids, ages 4 – 9). Your food and recipes are awesome, and your pics are great, too. I rarely leave comments, but wanted to tell you how much I love your blog.

p.s. we have Salad Night on Thursdays, and this week we all had your BBQ chicken salad! Fun idea.

HoneyB says:

This is one of the my favorite kinds of dishes – Pasta and Shrimp! YUM

PheMom says:

That scampi looks perfect!

Kim A says:

Yummy, my two favorites! Shrimp and pasta!!!

Alleen says:

Thanks for this recipe!!! I made it the other night and it was fabulous and so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patsyk says:

Your pictures are making my mouth water! Yum!

I love the “wambulance”… gonna have to use that one now!

Veronica says:

Nice pictures…I love shrimp scampi-yours looks tasty.

Proud Italian Cook says:

Wambulance!! Brilliant, my new favorite word!! I’d eat your scampi any day!

Jeena says:

I love shrimp too yet I do not cook a lot of sea food either. Loking at this yummy shrimp though I may have to go buy some very soon. :-)

Erin Raatjes says:

Looking to try this for my in-laws this weekend…. we’ll see how it goes! :)

Cara says:

I made this one night and my husband said “this tastes like it’s from a restaurant.” He never raves, so that’s a big deal! :)

[...] Simple Shrimp Scampi from Picky Palate (I’m officially obsessed with The Picky Palate Cookbook that my mom gave me [...]

Thank you, I have recently been searching for info approximately this topic
    for a long time and yours is the greatest I have came upon so
    far. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning
    the supply?

Usually I don’t learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this
    write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me.
    Thank you, very great post.