Oct
2009

Fun Halloween Recipes!

Appetizers and Sides

IMG_9519-picnik.jpeg

Good Thursday!

Here’s a little blast from the past for you today.  I LOVE these Halloween recipes that I did last year.  I am actually doing a couple of them in my little guys preschool class tomorrow morning that should be fun!

Halloween is going to be here before we know it!  Both my boys decided they want to be skeletons, phew that’s easy.  I am trying to find a couples costume for my husband and I this year.  I just can’t make my mind up!  I saw a bacon and eggs costume that is just adorable!  I might have to order it today.  Catch ya’ll later,  happy halloween baking!

IMG_9556-picnik.jpeg

Breadstick Mummy Dogs

1 roll/pkg Pillsbury Breadstick dough (12 count)

12 hot dogs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll all 12 breadsticks from package. Cut each into 3 equal strips. Take 3 strips, one at a time and wrap around 1 hot dog starting from the top of the hot dog. (Each hot dog has 3 thin breadstick strips around it). Leave a small space towards the top of the hotdog to make mustard eyes. Continue wrapping all dogs then place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

2. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Use mustard or ketchup for the eyes.

IMG_8708-picnik.jpeg

Bug-apillar Banana Dude

1 ripe banana

Creamy Peanut Butter

Pretzel Sticks

Raisins

Red Fruit Snacks

1. Cut banana into 1 inch slices. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice (minus the last piece) then press gently back together, curving slightly if desired. Break pretzel sticks in half, then press into sides of banana for legs. Dip 2 raisins in peanut butter and stick on front banana slice for eyes, then dip red fruit snack in peanut butter and stick on bottom of banana slice for the tongue.

IMG_8688-picnik.jpeg

Ooozing Monster Apple Mouths

1 large Apple of choice

Peanut Butter

Mini Marshmallows

1. Core then cut the apple into fourths. Cut out a small wedge on the skin side of the apple. Blot inside with a paper towel then spread lightly with creamy peanut butter. Cut mini marshmallows in half and place over peanut butter to make the teeth.

_______________________________

Have a great weekend!  See you all soon!

Comments

Denise says:

AWWWWW, so cute. I love the mummy hot dogs…lol

I love the mummy dogs! Sometimes I get a huge craving for hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls…I love them.

Nir says:

Hi, thanks for the great recipes!
    In the mummy dogs, should the hot dogs be prepared (ready to eat) before I wrap and bake them?
    Thanks!

Molly says:

Jenny,
    The oozing mouths are too cute! We’re having a fall celebration in my Pre-K class on the 30th. I wish I could bring those, but we have a student with a severe peanut allergy. Have a great weekend!

Chris says:

Try using soybutter. Tastes like peanut butter and has same testure! Great substitute without the allergies!

Jo says:

I absolutely love this post :) happy Halloween :) Your Mummy Dogs rock!!

TIffany says:

SO Fun Jenny!!

Thanks for sharing… I think I will make these for the kiddos Halloween day!!

Suzanne says:

Really cute ideas. Love the mummies!

dawn says:

ok these are all so darn cute. I love those hot dogs!!!

I think even my teenagers would have fun creating these!

Love the oozing monster mouths. bwaahahahahahaha Have fun at preschool.

Jill Shea says:

These are GREAT! I’m definitely making the mummy dogs this year.
    Thanks Jenny!
    Jill Shea

carrian says:

looks like so much fun! My three year old will go crazy for these!!

haha! I love the Monster mouths!! The Hot dog mummies are great too! How fun!

LOVE them!! I will definitely be making either the apples or bananas for the kids I nanny for. They would go crazy for them!

I love that mummy dog! So adorable – it puts a smile on my face!

Sues says:

OMG Adorable!!! You just made me seriously want to throw a Halloween party! And I have to admit I’m not a Halloween person at all!

Rachel says:

these are so super cute!!! I am also going to post a few cute halloween treats on my site http://www.dinnertimecritic.blogspot.com. I hope you will check them out. they are cute, but not my own creations

Ramona says:

Very cute. What a fun way to eat your food.

Ramona

DZRTJUL says:

Makes me want to have a Halloween party!!

I was literally JUST thinking about those mummy hot dogs! Can’t wait to make those this year! And those apple mouths….oh my gosh…too fun!!!

Tammy Funk says:

These are fearrific. How fun! Need to pass them on.

Jessie Thompson says:

My girls were just asking when we could make the mummy dogs again! So funny! Love all the fun holiday ideas. And I’ve just gotta try those pumpkin breakfast rolls! Too tempting! :)

TIffany says:

Gave you an award over at my blog, for exactly what you are… Over the Top!!

Love all your ideas Jenny and think your creativity ROCKS!!

*Tiffany

I’m throwing a Hallowee and have been looking for cute Halloween recipes, these look great!!!

[...] Fun Halloween Recipes by Picky Palate [...]

CaSaundra says:

Such fun and creepy recipes!! :-) I have never seen the caramel apple mouths before–they make me laugh, but the spider makes me cringe–eek!

Emma says:

WOW, thanks SO much for these :) I’m helping throw a Halloween party, I was stuck with recipe’s :D

[...] Recipe Treats, My Wooden Spoon Pumpkin Pie Bites, Bakerella Mummy Pizzas, Kara’s Kitchen Fun Halloween Recipes, Picky Palate Slime Ricky Punch, Yum [...]

Amy Cooper says:

My little guy is going to be a skeleton too. We bought one of the cute skeleton shirts at Old Navy, I found a skull mask at Walmart for $2.00!! Then I got skeleton gloves at the Halloween store and bought black sweats, I’ve got to get some white felt to make the pelvis and legs! It should be cute and not too expensive! I love putting together Halloween costumes. I think I will try the breadstick mummydogs too!!

Laz says:

I would think that if you have someone with a nut allergy, you could substitute the peanut butter with caramel.

Ha ha ha. Those Monster Apple Mouths are so cute ~ they make me laugh. I want to make some of those for my nephews. Thanks for the creative idea!

~Camberley

Blond Duck says:

I wonder if I could use this for my office party…

Barbara says:

Found your blog hopping around food blogs and am LOVING it! I’m a firm believe that peanut butter and chocolate make everything better—so all your recipes are just amazing. Can’t wait to try them out. I’m planning on making the peanut butter chocolate covered brownies bites tomorrow. Thanks!

France says:

This is so original and beautiful. Great idea :)

I have been trying to think so something fun and good for a tween Halloween party. The Breadstick Mummy Dogs are perfect. Thanks!

Mindy says:

These ideas are adorable. I especially love the apple mouths! What a creative and unique idea.

I’m an Editor for the recipe site RecipeLion.com and I just finished a blog post about baking with leftover Halloween candy that I thought your readers might enjoy: http://blog.recipelion.com/how-to-use-leftover-halloween-candy/

Hillary says:

Um, sooo cute! Love the hot dogs :)

Barbara says:

I’m still laughing at your mummy dogs! With their little mustard eyes. So cute!
    Clever girl!

Jenny M says:

I absolutely loved the mummy hot dogs! I’m making them for my son this year :) and I love the apples and bananas but I might have to find something else to replace the peanut butter as my son is allergic to peanuts. Maybe almond butter?

Thanks for the post!

Holly says:

So cute! Love the Halloween ideas. You are so talented. Everything I have ever made off of here has been amazing! Thanks! :)

Karen says:

Love the mummies! Thanks for the great idea. My kids will love it!

Linds says:

So fun! I’m definitely going to use some of those ideas for my son’s preschool Halloween party!

Laura says:

Ha those are so cute! How fun!

Marcia says:

Love these!!! They are so fun! I will be trying them soon!

Dana Max says:

Interesting recipes! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon says:

I think this might be our Halloween night dinner :) haha! Maybe I can get my picky 2 year old son to eat some fruit if I “dress” it up silly like this.

I’m a huge pig-in-the blanket fan. It’s just one of those childhood foods I still love. Your use of breadstick dough is really clever (so much healthier than the puff pastry typically used). The apples & peanut butter are so cute .. though I can live without the spiders!

[...] Halloween-themed snacks from the Picky Palate [...]

michelle says:

I just made the banana guy for my kids for after school- they LOVED it!!