Jan
2010

Chunky Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Dinner

IMG_5187picnik.jpeg

Good Monday to you!  Hope everyone had a nice weekend :)

I am in love with this nice chunky bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup!  I know I make a lot of soups and say I love all of them, but this one really is one of my newest favorites.  You’ll have to scroll down and look at the noodles I picked up at Whole Foods for this recipe.  I’ve never seen them before, but if you can get your hands on them, give them a try, you’ll love it!  Tastes like it’s right out of a cafe.

In these winter months, even though it’s not all that cold here in CA, there’s nothing I like better to eat than a nice bowl of hot soup, hope you’ll all enjoy my latest recipe.  We at the entire pot in just a few days.  Enjoy :)

IMG_5138picnik.jpeg

IMG_5144picnik.jpeg

IMG_5146picnik.jpeg

IMG_5148picnik.jpeg

IMG_5154picnik.jpeg

IMG_5164

Found these great noodles @ Whole Foods, they were in the Kosher section.  Really were awesome in this soup.  Any old small noodle will work if you can’t find these.  I really liked the stir fry noodles too.

IMG_5167picnik.jpeg

IMG_5190picnik.jpeg

Chunky Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup

3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 medium white onion, finely chopped

5 stalks of celery, chopped

4 large carrots, peeled and sliced

1 Cup sweet peppers, chopped

1 zucchini chopped, 1/2 inch pieces

1 yellow squash chopped 1/2 inch pieces

1 1/2 Cups eggplant, chopped 1/2 inch pieces

5 cloves fresh garlic, minced

48 oz chicken broth (I used 1 full 32 oz size and 1/2 of another)

9 oz small noodles of choice

1 Tablespoon coarse Dijon Mustard

1 teaspoon hot sauce (doesn’t make it spicy, just gives a nice flavor)

2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (lightly seasoned with salt and pepper)

1 Cup fresh parsley, finely chopped

Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt to TASTE (this differs for everyone, just season until you like it)

1.  Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  When hot, saute the onion, celery, carrots, sweet peppers, zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant.  Cook and stir until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Stir in fresh garlic; mix in for 30 seconds then stir in the broth.  Increase heat until soup just starts to boil.  Stir in noodles and cook for 7-10 minutes or until noodles are cooked through, al dente.  Stir in dijon mustard, hot sauce, chicken, parsley and seasonings to taste.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to serve.

Serves 8-10

_______________________________________

Have a great new week!  Come back soon for more healthy eating :)

Comments

I’m not a fan of veggies, but eating them in soup is one of the only ways I can get them in!!

It’s definitely soup weather! Chicken noodle is one of my favorites!!

Debbi says:

This looks fantastic! I’ll have to try this, thanks!

Debbi

Yarianny says:

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I neeedd to ask. Does operating a well-established blog like yours take a large amount of work? I’m brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Looks delicious…especially for New England winters over here :)

I love chicken noodle soup and this looks so delicious with all the veggies.

I love all of the extra veggies!

Love all the extra veggies in your chicken soup. I’m going to have to look for those little noodles.

Thanks for the recipe. It looks so yummy. Great photos :)

zestycook says:

This is off the hook good! I love it!

Sara says:

This looks great! I want some right now.

Damaris says:

yum. feed me!

This looks so warm and comforting. I love chicken noodle soup recipes. However I’m not a huge fan of store bought broths. Which one is your favorite?

Wonderfully presented recipe and the images are fantastic! Your composition and presentation in the first and last image is perfection!

Regards,
    CCR
    =:~)

trifitmom says:

i don’t normally like soups but this one looks so chunky and veggie full and yummy

Camberley says:

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm. I love several things about this recipe. First, I love the idea of adding Zucchini. Second, I love the thin noodles (this way the soup isn’t on noodle overload). Third, I like how you have used Dijon Mustard. I’ve never added Dijon mustard to my chicken noodle soup but it is genius. Thanks for the inspiration!

~Camberley

DELISH DELISH oh’ SO DELISH… MAJOR COMFORT FOOD, THANKS FOR POSTING!

Maureen says:

Wow, just walking in the door from work, on a cold, cold Chicago winter night, what better recipe to find. Perfect. It looks awesome. Thanks.

Heidi says:

This looks so good today with the cold weather!!! What a yummy comfort food :)

Lisa says:

The noodles look great! Making chicken noodle tomorrow with a leftover roasted chicken I have. Love the extra veggies!

megan says:

this is perfect soup weather! I love homemade chicken noodle soup! i always leave the noodles separate though. I find that they tend to soak up the broth and get mushy for leftovers if i leave them in the soup. i bet cooking them in the soup gives them great flavor though!

Christi says:

your soup looks delicious. i made a vegetable soup last week and it was so warming and good! i’m going to try some of your other recipes, too!

Veronica M. says:

I love the addition of all those different veggies!! I have always bulked up my soups with veggies but didn’t dare to mess with the celery/carrot/onion trio on chicken noodle soup. But yours looks wonderful–will try!

Barbara says:

I am really loving all the super soup recipes the bloggers are coming up with this month. Your chicken noodle soup is chock full of goodies! Delicious! And super photos!

Marisa says:

I made this for dinner tonight! It was delicious! I didn’t have squash or eggplant, so I added mushrooms, green & red peppers, and extra zuchinni. I also used spaghetti noodles. My whole family loved it.. even my pickiest eater ate the noodles out of the broth. Thanks!

Kristi says:

Looks amazing! Will definitely put this one on the list.

Gaby says:

this looks fabulous -especially on a rainy day like today! Totally Biggest Loser friendly too!! :)

Mila says:

I love your site! And this soup is so very enticing! Fabulous pictures and directions!

Ramona says:

It looks fantastic. Comfort food.

Alicia says:

I just made this soup this afternoon….are rare cold Southern CA day:-) It is off the hook amazing!! I couldn’t get the noodles you posted but found the same type of thin noodles in the Kosher isle of the grocery store. These noodles (along with all the veggies) make the soup! OMG, soooo good. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing cooking.

Carol says:

Well…it’s plenty cold here in the Northeast these days for soup 7 nights a week. Nothing like a nice hot bowl of chicken soup loaded with vegetables to warm the soul…and the tummy!
    I love the step by step photos, Jenny. Wish we had a Whole Foods around here….no such luck-those noodles look like the PERFECT addition to soup of all kinds. I can’t wait to try this one….

[...] Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup by Picky Palate [...]

Amanda says:

made this yesterday and we LOVED it!!.. my boyfriend finished it off today.. YUMM-O!!.. can’t wait for the stew!!..

zerrin says:

I’m sure this soup will bemy favorite. I love chicken and noodle soup, but the vegetables in this soup will give a wonderful flavor to my usual chicken soup. Perfect for winter days!

I love all of the veggies in there!

Michelle says:

Interesting recipe with the Dijon Mustard!

Tracy says:

Mmm, I love a good healthy soup!

Sometimes there’s nothing better than homemade chunky chicken noodle soup!

I would love a bowl of this on a chilly evening. Soup with lots of veggies definitely appeal to me.

http://www.easycookrecipes.com/healthy-souprecipes/ Healthy soup recipes tasty beef soup recipes, cream soup recipes and vegetarian soup recipes from EasyCookRecipes.com.

Shana says:

I have made this soup so many times already that I just had to post a comment on how good it is! We love this soup at my house…its the best chunky chicken noodle vegetable soup ever!!

B says:

Such noodles can be purchased at any Jewish grocery or on Kosher.com. They’re also made to be cooked with the soup! Chicken noodle soup is a traditional Jewish food, so you’ll find many Kosher companies that make great noodles! Recipe sounds awesome!!!

Shelisa says:

Just stumbled on this recipe. Love the thin Thai noodles. One of my favorite things to do is make soup! Your recipe will be added to the list! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie says:

This soup looks so good and also so healthy. I’m going to print it off and try it this weekend. Thank you for sharing it with easy to follow directions too. :)

Blessings,
    Debbie

[...] remember is chicken noodle and therein grew my love of slurping noodles.  How tempting does this Chunky Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup look from Picky Palate?  What a great way to spend a lovely winter day curled up on the couch with [...]

Wow!, this was a real quality post. In theory I d like to write like this too ? taking time and real effort to make a good article? but what can I say? I keep putting it off and never seem to get something done

Julie says:

Made this soup – could have used more broth and a little more of a kick as it was rather bland, but my kids liked it and had a good time helping me shop for the veggies and took turns cutting them up with me. The noodles were something that I found in the Kosher section at Sprouts/Henrys.

PS – I personally like reading reviews from folks that have actually made the soup or any other recipe that you post rather than “oh, that LOOKS great”. :)

Kaylee harris says:

Wonderful recipe would like to know the nutritional value to logue in my food journal. Thanks!

Cheryl Betas says:

Hi. Love your site ,,, I too love to cook and bake! I like the chicken noodle recipe I was just curious, is the hot sauce like franks red hot sauce??? Tks again keep the recipes coming! O:-)