Jan
2010

Toasted Whole Grain Apple Cheddar Panini

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

IMG_5061picnik.jpeg

Good Thursday!  How exciting we’ve got a nice long weekend coming up. You better believe the boys and I will be hitting up Disney!

Last week for lunch, I decided to put apple slices in my grilled cheese.  I couldn’t imagine it tasting good, but I’ve always heard about the whole apple/cheddar combo being really tasty.  To my surprise, it’s fantastic!  You don’t believe me?  Take 5 minutes and make one for yourself!

Plus, there’s apples inside, so it’s still considered healthy cooking right?!!  I’ll say yes :)

IMG_5055picnik.jpeg

IMG_5064picnik.jpeg

IMG_5069picnik.jpeg

Toasted Whole Grain Apple Cheddar Panini

2 slices Whole Grain Wheat Bread, lightly buttered on 1 side each (Love the Alpine Valley Loaf from Costco)

1/2 Gala apple, sliced almost paper thin, see pic of apples above

1/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese, Tillamook works wonders here :)

Side of Dijon Mustard for dipping

1.  Heat a small skillet or grill pan to get the panini look over medium heat.  Place buttered side of bread #1 down in hot skillet.  Layer bread with half the cheese, the apples then the remaining cheese.  Top with bread #2, buttered side up.  Grill for 1- 1 1/2 minutes per side pressing on sandwich (to get grill marks) until golden brown on each side.  Remove, slice, dip in Dijon and EAT!

1 serving :)

__________________________________________

Have a terrific LONG Weekend, come back soon for more “healthy” cookin’ over at Picky P!

Comments

I can’t believe you guys get to Disney a few times a week! That would have been so amazing as a kid. :) Love apples and cheddar together – makes a perfect sandwich.

I LOVE apples with cheddar!! Have fun at Disney!

Ooh that sounds really good! There are so many possibilities with a grilled cheese!

Debbi says:

This sounds fantastic! I for sure will try this! Thank you for all the great recipes. I’ll link it over to you when I post it on my blog. :-)

G. says:

yum! I’ve made quesadillas like this before and they are delicious. An extra sharp cheddar is really amazing with apples. There was a restaurant in my old hometown that would serve homemade apple pie with a slice of sharp locally made cheddar on the side…amazing! I might just make this for lunch today! :)

Sara says:

I think I’m going to make this for dinner tonight. It looks fantastic!

They look so crunchy and good, wish I could reach out and take a bite.

Bob says:

I love apple/cheddar! That’s genius, pure and simple.

megan says:

This looks beautiful. Gotta have one! Love Tillamook abd I’ll have to try the Alpine bread. I usually go for the Milton brand. Bet Brie would be a good cheese choice too

Camille says:

All-American sandwich! Looks tasty! :)

Delicious combination!

justcooknyc says:

yum! one of these days i have to get a panini press

Amy says:

One of my favorite snacks from my childhood was a bagel, sliced in half, each topped with a generous slice of apple and sharp cheddar cheese, toasted until the cheese started to bubble.

(cut the apple across the middle, like you would slice a tomato, then cut out the core from each slice with a paring knife)

Apple with cheese is one of my favorite combinations — yum!

catherine says:

That is super yummy!!!!

Michelle says:

Hi, I have tried your mini cheesecakes recipes. I finally go tthe pan. Had to order it online. Loved them !
    I was wondering , do you have anymore mini-cheesecakes recipes?

You’re right, it doesn’t sound good! But somehow your photography makes it look so irresistable! I must confess though, during one of my pregnancies I craved apples and cheddar cheese together! So I know it is actually pretty good.

heddomarie says:

Oh Apple pie is only good with melted cheddar on top! Never thought of it as a sandwich!

Veronica M. says:

I love cheddar and apples together but have only had them plain as a snack–I love this sandwich idea! Must try soon.

Mikalisa says:

The pic itself makes my mouth water. Will definitely make this over the weekend. Thanx so much! YUM! Have fun @ D-land!

That looks yummy. I like cheese on apple pie. I posted a healthy and DELICIOUS recipe for Cilantro Pesto Chicken on my blog. You should give it a try. My kids LOVED it!

Carrie Grubb says:

I know what I’m having for lunch!

Julie says:

That looks seriously yummy!

Oh my gosh does this look amazing. You’ve got talent!!!!! How was your holiday? Sorry I have not been by recently.

Alina says:

Your combination of ingredients is perfect. That’s great you’re using whole grain bread. I’ll definitely try this for breakfast someday!

Erotikshop says:

Thanks for writing this fantastic blogposting. I genuinely just like the fashion which you use to create about things. It absolutely was really educational and I need to many thanks you for thaking the time to create about it. Many persons would explain this stuff so more complex, but with your statements I definitely understand now anything. I am sure I’ll examine back again your site and my rss reader will like your stuff as well.

great advice and sharing,I will buy one nice apple for me .thanks,Joe

[...] potato salad Steaks, mashed  potatoes, grilled corn on the cob Minestrone,  fresh bread Apple  Cheddar Panini Posted by chiefcook at 5:17 [...]

[...] Apple Cheddar Panini [...]

[...] supper tonight. We bought a Fuji apple, and used it to make grilled cheese like Picky Palate did here. You don’t even need fancy-shmancy bread, I just used the stuff from the grocery [...]

Marla says:

Hi Jenny! LOVE this version of grilled cheese. Believe it or not I am hosting a grilled cheese round up ;) Please submit any of your fab links, as many as you want :) http://su.pr/1R06Od

Great website. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks on your effort!

[...] potato salad Steaks, mashed  potatoes, grilled corn on the cob Minestrone,  fresh bread Apple  Cheddar Panini Posted in Uncategorized « Black Bean and Feta Cheese [...]