Jan
2010

Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Dinner

IMG_5294picnik.jpeg

Good Monday Morning friends!

If I haven’t talked you into cooking with quinoa yet, this recipe should do the trick.  It is hearty and probably my favorite yet with quinoa.  It is so comforting and best of all, it’s pretty darn good for you!  I’m sad that my big bag of quinoa from Costco is almost gone, I have used it in a zillion different soups and salads.  I’m sure there will be more quinoa recipes to come :)

Do yourself a favor this week and whip up a big pot of this feel good soup, your belly will thank you!!  If this wasn’t good enough, I’ve added a not so bad for you dessert below too!

IMG_5298picnik.jpeg

IMG_5295picnik.jpeg

Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

5 stalks celery, chopped

4 large carrots, peeled and sliced

2 Cups sweet pepper, chopped (I get the big bag from Costco, love them!)

1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced

64 oz chicken broth

15 oz can diced tomatoes

5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cubed into 1 inch pieces

3 Cups cooked quinoa

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce, I used Cholula

Kosher Salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste

1 1/2 Cups fresh parsley, chopped

1.  Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers and zucchini until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes and potatoes.  Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil.  Reduce to medium high and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender.  Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, dijon mustard, hot sauce and season to taste w/ salt, pepper and Lawry’s.  Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.

8-10 servings

_________________________________________

“Healthier” Banana Berry Brownies

1 Brownie Mix of choice, ( I used Naturally Nora’s All Natural Brownie Mix)

1 Banana, very ripe

6 oz fresh blueberries

Powdered Sugar for Dusting

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare brownie mix according to package directions except substitute 1 ripe mashed banana in place of the oil.  Stir in fresh blueberries and pour into a lightly greased baking dish.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center.  Let cool completely, cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.

12 brownies

________________________________

Happy Eating :)  See ya’ll soon!

Comments

I love quinoa, but I am really loving that brownie recipe!

Laura says:

I LOVE your recipes. I am especially loving these healthy ones. Keep them coming. Thank you!!!!!! :)

Niki says:

That soup looks delicious! And another great way to use my quinoa!

Meghan says:

Your stew looks so comforting! Quinoa would be great in a soup/stew. Those brownies look so good – I love how you’ve added fruit :)

OK, I’m sold. I’ll definitely try the soup recipe. Thanks Jenny.

Krystle says:

That soup looks delicious! I have yet to make quinoa but this might have done the trick. I always get a little intimidated cooking with stuff I am not familiar with.

sharon says:

I think I’ve bookmarked all your quinoa recipes! I especially enjoy having a delicious but not so bad for you dessert to cap off a healthy meal. Well done!

Sue says:

Jenny, thanks so much for the healthy recipes! I really appreciate it.

kara bagley says:

Quinoa ROCKS! We love that stuff over here. It is so nice to have healthy options for picky eaters, even though mine aren’t I cook for plenty who are ;)

Mikalisa says:

Let’s just say that I went out and bought a box of quinoa. Lol. Going 2 have 2 make that stew soon! YUM-O.

This bowl is beautiful. Which reminds me that I have to buy more bowls. Mine are boring for food photo. I’m keeping the recipe to try later :)

Courtney says:

Made this for dinner tonight…Marvelous!!! I also made the Sesame Orange Quinoa…not bad but like the soup a whole lot better! Keep the healthy recipes coming please!

Melissa says:

I’ve never made quinoa before but that bowl of stew maybe persuading me otherwise! YUM!

elizabeth says:

Another HUGE THANK YOU!!! This looks so yummy!!

Anne says:

That soup looks absolutely delicious Jenny! I love all the quinoa recipes, so fun!

Karri says:

Made the soup yesterday and it is delicious!

Cassandra Killingsworth says:

The soup was so great! Thank you for taking your time to provide the recipes, I have used several and they are always wonderful!!!!

Alli Elggren says:

Jenny, I made this Quinoa Stew last night and you really knocked it out of the park with this one. I bought a big bag of quinoa a few weeks ago and was excited to make something with it, then I found this recipe. YUM! Ashlyn took it with her in a Thermos for lunch today because she loved it too. Thanks for the amazing, healthy recipe. It’s a keeper!!! Miss you and hope you & your family are doing well♥

Nancy says:

I love this recipe! But I’m bummed it won’t let me copy and paste it.

Michelle says:

Made this stew today. It’s great! Thanks for sharing. I’m hoping that eating lots of this will cure my cold!

[...] Picky Palate Serving up the hottest dishes on WordPress.com. Featured on FoodPress Green Olive Tapenade [...]

[...] or udon) which my helper can make, I’ve also tried making hearty simple one-pot dish such as chicken stew quinoa and chicken stew with macaroni (I deviated from this recipe and didn’t bake the stew, only [...]

Thank you for writing this, it was quite handy and helped me quite a bit

[...] Tostados with Black Beans and Cilantro-Lime Cream by Jeanne Kelly, Fine Cooking Mag), healthy ones (Healthy and Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew from Picky Palate) and not-so-healthy ones (Steak with Roasted Veg and Roasted Potatoes accompanied by my sour cream [...]

[...] Get the recipe > Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

Amber says:

Jenny,
    I was just wondering if you think this meal will freeze OK? And how to thaw it if I did freeze it. My hubs stayed home sick from work today, and so I found and made your recipe. I’ve been needing a reason to make real chicken soup. I’m not sure of the rules on freezing, but it’s just my husband and I so I’d like to save some of it for another day when one of us may be sick again. Let me know. It’s delish! Thanks!

Allie says:

ano ha cnu lalaban ng kagatan jan..kahit pitbull d nyan aatrasan kababayan ko yan jejeje…proud to be? pinoy….. visit http://goo.gl/HNBgn to watch pinoy tv shows

[…] the most delicious easy soup recipe?  My sister initially found this Healthy & Hearty Chicken Quinoa Stew recipe over at the Picky Palate.  She passed it along to me, and I have since passed it along to my […]