Good Monday Morning friends! If I haven’t talked you into cooking with quinoa yet, this recipe for a hearty chicken and quinoa stew should do the trick. It is hearty and probably my favorite yet with quinoa. It is so comforting and best of all, it’s pretty darn good for you! I’m sad that my big bag of quinoa from Costco is almost gone, I have used it in a zillion different soups and salads. I’m sure there will be more quinoa recipes to come 🙂
Do yourself a favor this week and whip up a big pot of this feel good chicken and quinoa stew, your belly will thank you!! If this wasn’t good enough, I’ve added a not so bad for you dessert below too!
“Healthier” Banana Berry Brownies
1 Brownie Mix of choice, ( I used Naturally Nora’s All Natural Brownie Mix)
1 Banana, very ripe
6 oz fresh blueberries
Powdered Sugar for Dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions except substitute 1 ripe mashed banana in place of the oil. Stir in fresh blueberries and pour into a lightly greased baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center. Let cool completely, cut into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Happy Eating 🙂 See ya’ll soon!
Hearty Chicken and Quinoa Stew
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 stalks celery chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sweet pepper chopped
- 1 zucchini large, quartered and sliced
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes medium sized, scrubbed and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts medium sized, cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Lawry’s Garlic Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers and zucchini until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes and potatoes. Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil.
- Reduce to medium high and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, dijon mustard, hot sauce and season to taste with salt, pepper and Lawry’s.
- Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.