Feb
2010

Piglets in a Blanket

Tags: ,

Dinner

Well, we are really getting close to Superbowl Sunday now.  Hope you’ve got your menu planned out. I wanted to leave you with one more almost too simple but totally adorable little game day recipe that is always a favorite.  Mini pigs in a blanket aka “piglets in a blanket.”  The kids go nuts for these and I guarantee you the adults will pop more than one or two as well :)

I picked up a great Party Pack of Aidels little sausages from Costco a week or so ago.  It comes with 3 different varieties and oh man they are good!  For this particular recipe I used the Cajun flavored ones, but for the kids I’d use a more mild one like the chicken/apple one.  You won’t be sorry if you pick up a pack yourself!!  If you don’t get to costco, you can also use the little smokies that you can find in any grocery store.  Or, cut hot dogs into thirds!

I added some poppy seeds for a little color, kind of looks like a mini bagel dog doesn’t it?  Whatever you want to call these, they take only minutes to make and are the perfect game day food for any party!  Enjoy!

Here’s that Aidells party pack I was talking about, all three of those flavors are so good!

Unroll that can of breadsticks and plop them onto a baking sheet, try not to jump when it pops open, hate that thing!

Separate into strips, then cut each into thirds.

Wrap the little cuties…

Sprinkle with a little poppy seed if you like…

Time to bake!

Ahh, puffed and perfect!

Voila’ here you have your perfect little Piglets in a Blanket

Piglets in a Blanket

32 little sausages or lil’ smokies (I used aidels cajun flavor from a Costco Party Pack)

1 package Pillsbury Breadsticks, in can

Poppy Seeds

Ketchup and Mustard for dipping

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place little sausages in a bowl, dry with paper towel if wet.  Open breadsticks and separate into strips.  Cut each strip into thirds.  Take a little sausage and roll dough over, placing seam side down onto a silpat or lightly greased baking sheet.  Sprinkle tops with poppy seeds and bake for 15-18 minutes or until dough is cooked through, slightly golden.  Let cool for 3 minutes before removing from baking sheet.  Serve with ketchup and mustard!!

Approx 32 little piglets!

___________________________________

Enjoy your Superbowl Weekend, happy snacking!!

Comments

Never tried these with poppy seeds on them!! But they are seriously one of my favorite snacks…with cheese, too!

Ashley says:

Never had poppy seeds on mine. I’m going to have to try that. We’re not having a superbowl party, but I think I’m just going to make a bunch of superbowl snacks for that night.

I always use the little smokies, but what a great idea to use this other flavors! I would have never thought to do that! Awesome idea!

Laura says:

I’ve always made this with crescent dough. Gonna have to give the breadstick dough a try!

Gina says:

oh wow these look yummy! I have tried biscuits and crescent rolls to make them but never the bread sticks! Good idea!

Dandy says:

They are so much fancier with poppy seeds!

These are a staple party food! Yours look great!

One great way to take those from good to amazing is to melt some butter in the bottom of the pan, and mix with a little brown sugar. This creates a sweet glaze that the blankets cook in.

Jodie says:

Oh my goodness, they look too cute to eat!! …but I will :)

Awesome job, your Superbowl Party is gunna rock!

Molly says:

How cute is that party pack of little sausages?! I’ve never seen that in our stores before. Love this post, though. Who doesn’t love pigs in a blanket?? Have a great weekend and Super Bowl! Geaux Saints! ps- did you make Saints cookies? ;)

Hi Molly,
      I know, don’t you love those little sausages? Just had some of these piggies for dinner tonight, yum! I still need to make those cookies, I have the dough in my fridge, just need to bake and decorate!! You better believe I’ll be coming back to your site for reference :) Have a good night!

Krista says:

How cute! This family loves pigs…or piglets in a blanket. I’ll have to look for that sausage party pack. They recently opened a Costco in our town.

dawn says:

ohhh girl these look so good. I saw some (somewhere) with bacon then a generous amount of brown sugar. So good.

Rebecca says:

I made these with my family tonight and they were a huge hit! Thanks!

Stephanie says:

Thanks Jenny! I made these on Superbowl Sunday and were a hit!!

Amanda says:

I love how you sprinkled the poppy seeds on them- they look much better visually to me than plain ones. Also- didn’t know they even MADE mini chicken sausages. I love that brand- definitely keeping an eye out for those.

hi5.com.au says:

I have to say that for the past few of hours i have been hooked by the impressive posts on this site. Keep up the wonderful work.

vitamins uk says:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this,
    like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive
    the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog.
    A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.