This Easy Skillet Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is so perfect for parties with family and friends! We’ll be making a double batch of this one for our Super Bowl party this year. Game day food doesn’t get much better than this cheesy dip!
An Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Whether it’s game day get togethers or Holiday parties, my easy buffalo chicken dip prepared in a cast iron skillet is the perfect dip! It’s creamy, loaded with cheese and just the right spices.
What Is Buffalo Chicken?
Traditionally, Buffalo chicken refers to deep-fried chicken wings dripping in a tangy Buffalo sauce. Buffalo sauce is a mix of butter and cayenne hot sauce. The intensity of the heat can range from mild to hot, hot, hot. Blue cheese or ranch dressings are used as dips to cool down the wings.
What You’ll Need
- Olive Oil– You’ll use olive oil to help saute the vegetables. Use extra virgin olive oil for best tasting results.
- Butter– I use salted butter for most of my recipes. Unsalted is fine too. You add butter to the olive oil to saute the vegetables.
- White Onions– I like to finely chop the onions that will be sauteed with the garlic to bring a nice layer of flavor to the dip.
- Minced Garlic– You can use fresh garlic and mince yourself, or use the minced garlic in a jar found in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Cooked Chicken, (chopped or shredded)- Rotisserie chicken works great here.
- Franks Red Hot Sauce, Buffalo Flavor– This is the main flavor component of the dip. Find it in the salad dressing/sauces section of the grocery store.
- Cream Cheese– Use a full fat cream cheese for the dip and make sure it’s softened before making dip.
- Sour Cream– Sour cream is added to the cream cheese for the base of the dip.
- Ranch Dressing– Hidden Valley Ranch is what I use for the dip.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese– Mozzarella dip works great baked on top of the dip.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese– I like to combine a couple varieties of cheese. Cheddar works great here.
- Carrot and Celery Sticks, Crackers and Pita Chips For Dipping
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and place 9-10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter to cast iron skillet. When hot add onion and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add minced garlic and cook/stir an additional minute. Stir in cooked chicken, Frank’s Buffalo Red Hot Wing Sauce, Ranch Dressing and sour cream stirring to combine. Add freshly ground black pepper and top with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until cheese dip is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and top with blue cheese crumbles and chopped green onion and or chopped fresh parsley. Use your favorite pita chips, crackers and vegetables for dipping. Serve warm.
Stir in the Buffalo Hot Wing Sauce to combine with the chicken and onion mixture.
Add 8 ounces of cream cheese to the chicken mixture. Cream cheese does not need to be softened, the heat will melt it just fine. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted and combined with sauce and chicken. Stir in sour cream. Prepared Ranch Dressing too. Add a good 1/4-1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Top with shredded Mozzarella Cheese and shredded Cheddar Cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25-35 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly hot.
Remove from oven and top with crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onions and or parsley.
Can I Make Buffalo Chicken Dip In The Crock Pot?
Prepare the dip on the stovetop in a large skillet (minus the cheeses on top) then transfer dip to the crock pot. Top with cheeses and close crock pot lid. Cook on low for 3-5 hours.
What Should I Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Use your favorite Pita Chips, crackers and vegetables for dipping! Carrot sticks and celery sticks are great options.
Can I Reheat Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Yes you can reheat the buffalo chicken dip. Scoop desired amount into a heat safe bowl or plate and microwave until hot, about 40-50 seconds depending if dip is cold or room temperature.
Can Buffalo Chicken Dip Be Made Ahead?
Yes! Prepare the recipe up to this point and refrigerate. When ready to bake, let the dip/skillet come to room temperature for a couple hours and top with cheeses before baking.
Easy Skillet Buffalo Chicken Dip
- cast iron skillet
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chef knife
- cutting board
- mixing spoon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded/chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Wings Sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion or chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and place 9-10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil and buter to cast iron skillet. When hot add onion and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add minced garlic and cook/stir an additional minute. Add cooked chicken, Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Wing Sauce and cream cheese. Stir to melt. Add Ranch dressing and sour cream stirring to combine. Add freshly ground black pepper and top with shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until cheese dip is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and top with blue cheese crumbles and chopped green onion and or chopped fresh parsley. Use your favorite pita chips, crackers and vegetables for dipping. Serve warm.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board!