May
2010

PB&J Shortbread Cookie Bars…

Tags: , , , ,

Cookies

Hi everyone, hope y’all had a great weekend! Yes, another peanut butter and jelly recipe…..I think I am a bit obsessed, can’t help myself!  Just wait until you sink your teeth into these buttery bites of PB&J heaven!  I LOVE that there are just a few ingredients here, so minimal prep work.  My favorite kind of recipe! It wouldn’t be a recipe of mine without some sort of sweet delish drizzle, but I must say even without the drizzle these bars are crazy good.  Try a few chilled, really good cold.

Over the next few posts I’ll be sharing bits and pieces of my Bertolli trip last week.  There are a zillion pictures, so I’ll break it up into a couple activities at a time.  I’ll post a link at the bottom of the post here :)

For now, take a look at these beauties!  Love this recipe :)

Here are the bars without the drizzle, still REALLY good :)

However, with the drizzle…..even better!

PB&J Shortbread Cookie Bars

4 sticks softened butter

1 Cup granulated sugar

1/4 Cup packed brown sugar

3 3/4 Cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 Cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 Cup strawberry jam

1 Cup powdered sugar

4-5 Tablespoons heavy cream

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer butter and sugars until well combined.  Slowly add in flour and salt until just combined.  Split dough in half and wrap 1/2 in plastic wrap.  Save for another time.  Transfer remaining half to a foil lined 8×8 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Melt peanut butter in microwave for 20 seconds or until smooth and pourable.  Pour evenly over shortbread.  Melt the jam in microwave for 20 seconds as well then pour evenly over peanut butter.  Take a knife and gently swirl peanut butter and jelly over top of shortbread, not really cutting into the dough itself.  Just the peanut butter and jelly.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges start to brown and centers are cooked through.

2.  Remove and let cool completely.  Remove from pan with foil edges and cut into squares.  Mix powdered sugar and heavy cream until smooth, drizzle over each square and serve :)

9 squares

________________________________________

I’ve posted about the first part of my Bertolli Trip from Last week in LA if you want to take a look.  Click HERE to see the first part of our photos :)

Oh the room service!  Yikes we ate A LOT!

________________________________________

Happy Baking, see you soon!

Comments

Amanda :) says:

OMG Jenny, these were DELICIOUS!! So soft, and buttery, and chewy, and peanut butter & jelly-ey! I can’t get them outta my mind! :) Kevin only got 1 bite because I ate them all before I got home! ;) Thank you so much for opening up your home to me and letting me come play in your kitchen. :) Can’t wait to do it again! :D

Jenny you make the best peanut butter and jelly treats!!! I can’t wait to read more about your trip!

I love PB&J so keep them coming! Thanks!

Andrea says:

Oh my god Jenny, these were delicious! Beautiful.

Niki says:

Where do you get your recipes from?

Hi Nikki,
      Thanks for asking. I create my own recipes.

• Niki says:

Bah! I forgot a word. I meant to ask where you get the ideas for your recipes from! Like those PB and fluff cookies? Those were crazy different!
        A lot of mine come from things I want or see on other blogs, but I play with to make them my way.
        Although, now that I think about it, you do have a lot of PB recipes… Maybe it’s just a love of PB? :)

Ok, I’ve got that Peanut Butter Jelly Time song in my head and those bars in my mind! YUM! Your recipes are always so amazing and your pics are great :)

Happy Monday!

What fun pics!
    Im all about PB & J anything! these look incredible!

Maggy says:

These look so good! Another delicious PB&J recipe from PickyPalate :)

Thanks for sharing the pics and these bars look amazing!

I think i might try these tonight! Yum!

Erica Lea says:

I’ve always wanted to try PB&J bars, but have never had the courage to do it. Yours looks so good.

nomnomnom. these count as breakfast, right?!

Sara says:

PB & J is my favorite. We’d be good friends. These look fantastic!

roxan says:

Peanut butter & jelly is one of the best combinations, ever.

so, who ate all of the food in the room service picture? :)

I don’t care if you’re obssessed with pb&j recipes, they’re never too much. Keep them coming, this shortbread is a great idea!

Diane Jarvis says:

These look absolutely delicious (as all of your recipes do.) I noticed that a lot of your recipes call for only 4-5 T of heavy cream. How do you buy your cream and use only that much without wasting all of the rest of it? Thank you for all of your wonderful ideas!

Sues says:

I could eat a different recipe using PB&J every day and be perfectly happy! These look glorious and I too love how few ingredients there are! Simple simon!

OMG! These look amazing….I am writing the recipe down now….and making them soon!

Tracy says:

These look fun to make!

Michelle says:

OH what fun to make and such a perfect after school snack!

I love all of your PB& J recipes. What a fun and creative treat!

Jennie says:

Hey, just stopping by to let you know you have an award waiting for you at my blog. Make sure you stop by and snatch it up! Love your BLog!

JEnnie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Claudia says:

You know, I came home from L.A. and instantly want on a Rocco diet (his recipes are quite good – love the crab cakes) and then I check out your website and how scrumptious. Gaining weight as I gaze.

I love anything PB & J!! Nice touch with the drizzle. I am in love with room service too! xo

holly says:

Mmm..YUMMY! My kids would love these..I would too;)

Noemi says:

these look so good.

What a fun recipe! These would be a big hit with any kid – young and old alike.

The way to my heart is through PB&J. Love these bars!

These look really amazing; I’m a no drizzle kind of gal for eating, but they sure make for a great photo :D Thanks for sharing!

You’re so funny w/ your drizzle ;) They look delicious. And, Hey… w/ two boys, who can fault you for making a bunch of peanut butter and jelly goodies, right?

megan says:

Put what ever you like on a shortbread crust and I’m with ya! :)

I was just thinking that I needed to make shortbread cookies this weekend. (I bought one last week and now my taste buds are screaming for more!) This recipe looks fantastic! I LOVE peanut butter and jelly!

Thanks!!!

Jamie says:

Yummy, Jenny!

Sharlene says:

These look so good! I’m not the greatest PB&J fan in terms of baked goods but I really want to try this one out it looks so yummy!

I am such a shortbread fanatic! I know these must be a cross between childhood comfort and complete bliss!

Robin says:

These sound awesome!!! The pictures are amazing and make my mouth water!!!

Jessica says:

These look soooo delicious! YUM!

Julie M. says:

My boys would love these!! I will definitely try them.

Krista says:

This is an awesome recipe! I can’t wait to try it! I love PB&J too. : )

Yummy! These sound sinful! I’ll have to try these out, thanks!

[...] Beach and spent the day with Jenny baking in the Picky Palate kitchen! And guess what. I got to eat these. From Jenny [...]

Heather Michelle says:

I made these last week and took them in to my programming club. Best way to get a bunch of computer nerds away from the keyboard? Offer them these. Absolutely delicious, thank you!

Aimee says:

I just made these yesterday and they are delicious! I hope you don’t mind but I have recently started my own blog and will be putting these up next week!

[...] I make it a habit of not discriminating against shortbreads. But it doesn’t hold a candle to Jenny’s shortbread. Make hers today! [...]

[...] these PB&J Shortbread Cookie Bars thatlook quick, easy and [...]

Kathryn says:

Just made these! I burnt my mouth eating them right out of the oven! Delicious! We used raspberry instead of strawberry as I’m not a big fan of strawberry. Once they’ll cool I’ll put the glaze on them and surely me and the kids will devour them quite quickly!
    Thanks for the recipe!

[…] and all good recipes, these bars inspired me to be creative and make them my own. See, I have a shortbread recipe that I LOVE. I have a salted caramel sauce recipe that I LOVE. And I have a chocolate ganache […]

[…] Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on two sides. To make the shortbread, beat butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in flour and salt and mix on low until just combined. Press the dough into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until edges are slightly browned. It may look puffy and jiggly in the center at first, but it will fall and set as it cools. Shortbread recipe from Picky-Palate.com. […]

[…] Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 9×13 baking  dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang  on two sides. To make the shortbread, beat butter and  sugars for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in flour and salt and mix on  low until just combined. Press the dough into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for  30-35 minutes until edges are slightly browned. It may look puffy and jiggly in  the center at first, but it will fall and set as it cools. Shortbread recipe  from Picky-Palate.com. […]