Jun
2010

Homemade Chicken, Ranch and Rice Soup

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Good Monday morning!

I know it’s not typically soup time, but I’m a soup fan all year round.  There is seriously nothing like a warm bowl of soup to make you feel better.  I love this recipe, it has all those comforting ingredients and I added some Ranch seasoning that really makes this soup extra delish!

Everyone’s kids out for summer break?  We’ve got a little over 2 weeks to go, I’m getting plans set for summer.  Looking forward to hanging at the beach…..A LOT!!

Hope you all enjoy a nice bowl of soup…..even if it’s boiling hot outside lol!

Break out your fresh carrots….

Celery…

Onions….

Now, Saute!!

Add your shredded chicken….

….and rice :)

Pour in your chicken broth….

Season with Ranch seasoning…

….and a little salt and pepper

Now, it’s time to eat :)

Homemade Chicken, Ranch and Rice Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 large carrots, peeled and sliced

3 stalks of celery, chopped

3 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 Cup dry rice, steamed….comes out to about 3 Cups cooked

64 oz  chicken broth

1 Tablespoon dry Ranch Dressing seasoning

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

1 teaspoon hot sauce, like Tabasco (optional)

1.  Heat oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  When hot, saute onion, carrots and celery for 7-10 minutes or until softened slightly.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken breast and rice then pour in chicken broth.  Stir, then season with ranch seasoning, salt, pepper and add in Dijon and hot sauce.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until serving.  Taste and season accordingly.

8 servings

Comments

Debbie says:

easy and yummy!

I want to make this for dinner! It sounds so fabulous. Yum!

beth says:

My kids would love this. Great recipe

Looks great! I can’t go more than a week without eating soup…bring on the heat!

BEth says:

I am loving this!! I will be making this this week!! YUM

Cathy says:

Looks delicious!

Jennifurla says:

I have to be honest with you..that is the best chicken soup I have ever seen!

Kristina says:

oh no you didn’t ? ranch… in my chicken soup? this is GENIUS and I want it now. :)

as always. your food sounds delicious and your photos, beautiful!

Looks great, even on a hot summer day!

patsyk says:

Looks like a really satisfying soup! Nice touch adding the ranch dressing mix to it, too!

Leslie says:

Sounds yummy, but more like something I should be making here in Portland, OR because we have had weeks and weeks of rain! How is the weather in the OC? I grew up in Newport Beach and we’ll be staying on Balboa Island for the first few weeks of July.

Brandy says:

Sounds yummy!! I make chicken soup the same way, but have never added the Ranch. I think my famiy would thoroughly enjoy your recipe!! Thanks for sharing.

I’m with you – I eat soup all year round. It’s the perfect lunch, in my opinion!

This soups looks like it’s packed full of flavor! What a great recipe!

Kathleen says:

This sounds like a wonderful soup! Great photos

Trendsetters says:

colorful n flavourful soup meal

This sounds delicious! What a perfect bowl of soup!

Michelle says:

Chicken Soup is always a favorite and adding a TBL of Ranch dressing just takes the soup to a new level!

Jocelyn says:

This looks fab and fresh! I love the addition of the ranch seasoning..I am all for anything ranch flavored ;)

Mamawags says:

I can hardly wait to make this one! It looks great!

I hope I didn’t freak you out by being a picky palate groupie and talking to you on Sunday… I was just so excited that I recognized you and I love your blog. Thanks :)

No way! So glad you said hi :) It’s funny, most people who recognize me are people visiting at our church, lol! So glad you said hey….let me know what you think of this soup. It’s similar to the hearty healthy one you like :0)

I love your fabulous clean & healthy soup. I too enjoy a bowl of soup year round :) Great seeing you today. xo

I could eat soup everyday, regardless of the weather. This looks so hearty, but light.

Maggy says:

Would love this for lunch or dinner today. Looks delicious! I love rice in soup!

Christy says:

I made this for supper last night and my family loved it! Thanks for posting!

Jay says:

Can’t beat a good bowl of chicken soup. I’m thinking that tub of ranch seasoning will show up in the dessert section soon.

Zesty says:

What a perfect comfort meal! Wonderful pictures :)

claudia says:

This soup looks great just love the ingredients~

ivoryhut says:

That sounds like such a warm, comfy meal! And how is it that I never knew ranch mix came in a little bottle like that? I need to pay more attention at the grocery store.

Mrs. L says:

I had no idea you could get ranch in those little jars. Very cool I’ll have to look for it.

CookiePie says:

What a yummy looking soup! I agree – soup is good all year :)

Chanel says:

The soup looks great, but I can’t stop drooling over your silverware!

HoneyB says:

Looks delicious Jenny. Would be perfect for here tonight – its wet, rainy and cold!

azjenny says:

The soup looks great, but I am really liking that SPOON!!

Camille says:

I made this for dinner tonight and it’s soooo good! It’s a keeper for sure!

Ashley says:

I had a craving for chicken noodle soup today and just happened to check your blog…. It was definitely meant to be that I made this recipe! While it wasn’t exactly chicken noodle soup it was DELICIOUS and just what I wanted! Thank you to post this today! I added an extra tbs of the ranch seasoning!

Fuji Mama says:

I’m a soup person too! In fact I think I crave it even more during the summer than I do during the winter. You know, I think we have it right. In Thailand, where it is just “hot” and “hotter,” they eat soup ALL THE TIME. See, we’re just smart. :) This looks delicious! I love rice in soup!

Emily says:

I am just wondering where you found the ranch seasoning! I love that it comes in a jar like that and I have looked at a few stores and haven’t seen it!! Is it by the other ranch packets or in the season aisle? thank you!!

Lucy Lam says:

I can hardly wait to try this recipe! My husband and I love to eat soup! We eat soup all year long … it could be 100 degrees outside, and we’ll be inside having a hot bowl of soup.
    Thanks again!
    Lucy Lam

Lucy Lam says:

I forgot to mention one other thing … how do you and Amanda stay so slim (fit) with all the fantastic food you were eating on your trip to see Rocco? The two of you are beautiful!
    Lucy Lam

Sheri says:

This looks so wonderful I have bookmarked it everywhere so I won’t lose it!

April says:

I made this last night for dinner, it was light and yummy!

April says:

I just made this and I have to say I was worried about the Ranch flavoring but it’s surprisingly mild and adds a little something to this recipe. I think next time I’ll cut the dijon amount in half. I think it’s kind of overpowering.

This is really great though and I plan to put this in my soup rotation and make it again. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

[...] make their way into my household. Chicken soup always warms my soul and soothes my belly. I made a Chicken, Ranch and Rice Soup recipe from Jenny at Picky Palate. Tasty and very easy to make. If you have not checked out her [...]

Jen says:

Hi. Love your blog! I am so excited to make this!! Just wanted to know if this freezes ok?

Thanks!

[...] For now I’m going to make soups that have additional ingredients other than the flavor of the stock. My first batch was a spin on Picky Palate’s Chicken, Ranch and Rice Soup. [...]

cheryl says:

Oh my goodness…that looks amazing. It’s going on the menu next week for sure!

Sarah says:

Made this yesterday…it’s delicious and my kids even ate it! :-) Totally perfect for our sub-zero weather. Thanks!

Amy H says:

I made this soup and we all LOVED it! I used a rotisserie chicken instead, and it was wonderful! I love the ranch seasonsing — gave it just the perfect amount of zest!

Jennette says:

I made this tonite and the whole family loved it! I’m sure we’ll be making this a lot now that Fall is fast approaching. Thanks for another great recipe that’s healthy :)

Tannis says:

We loved this easy soup! Flavors are good and I like the change of rice in this from noodles.