Sep
2010

Homemade Shepherd’s Pie

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

Shepherd’s Pie is by far my kids’ favorite dinner.  My oldest tends to even beg for it for breakfast from time to time!  My husband asked, why are you posting this recipe?  I said…..it’s just really good!  Nothing crazy, just good ol’ fashion comfort food :)  Since my boys start school today (woohoo, Mom is cheering!)  I decided to post their most favorite recipe in the whole wide world.

It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner if you have a little extra time on your hands or even better for Sunday dinner. I know there are a zillion takes on Shepherd’s Pie….and it seems that I love them all but take a peek below and see how I like to do it  :)

I always start with the potatoes since they take the longest.  Peel, dice and boil!

Slice and dice those onions to get ready for the beef layer of the pie.

Saute the onions and garlic then add the beef and green beans.

After those potatoes are fork tender, drain, transfer to a mixing bowl….add a little butter, salt, pepper, garlic salt and milk.  There’s no perfect measurement for seasoning…everyone likes it a little different.  Mix a little, stop and taste.  Add seasoning according to your liking :)

Ah, the perfect mashed potatoes!  Is there anything better?

I made a simple homemade sauce for the meat layer that included a little butter, flour, salt, pepper and chicken broth.  Whisk until nice and thick then pour right in the beef :)

Let the layering begin:  The beef goes in first, then top with mashed potatoes and cheese!  Bake and…

….. kick up your feet and eat!

Call me crazy, but my favorite way to eat Shepherd’s Pie is with hot sauce!!  You’ve got to try it :)

Homemade Shepherd’s Pie

3 Tablespoons all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 Cup chicken broth

_____

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Place peeled and diced potatoes into a large pot of water.  Bring to boil and boil for 13-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.  Drain and transfer to the bowl of a stand or electric mixer.  Mix in butter, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Slowly add milk until nice and creamy.  Keep tasting potatoes to see if you need more seasonings.  When done to your liking, set aside for a few minutes.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, beef, salt and pepper; cook until browned.  Stir in green beans then reduce heat to low.

3.  To prepare sauce, melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly add in chicken broth until thick and creamy.  Add sauce to meat mixture then transfer to bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.  Pour mashed potatoes over meat mixture then top with shredded cheese.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted through.

8 servings

__________________________________________

Comments

I have never made shepherds pie! It is something my husband would love though.

Esther says:

I have made this for years…my kids are all grown and married now but today I am going to watch my grandaughter so I think I will make it for her….sounds great!!! I do make it different than yours I will give it a try your way ;) thanks

Mmmm… This looks good! I love Shepherd’s Pie. I recently had a post about making it too. We make ours a little different though. I cook some ground beef with seasonings, layer that in a pan. Top with corn then mashed potatoes. I usually put cheese between each layer too and top with a GENEROUS portion :)

Thanks for sharing!! My aunt gave me a recipe a while back and I loved it, but this looks a bit more easy for me. It was a hit in my house too!

Heidi says:

Yours is really close to the way my Mom made it when we were growing up (and the way I make it for my family). We use seasoned tomato sauce instead. I’ve also had it with tomato soup and brown gravy. I’ll have to try your sauce and see what we think. Thanks for another idea.

Jennifurla says:

This pie looks delicate, savory and just delicious.

alison says:

This looks great and like true comfort food!

i love shepherds pie! such a classic comfort food :)

teresa says:

Oh!
    Looks so good!
    I’m thinking this could totally be created vegetarian!
    xo
    Reminds me of being in England!

My husband said the same thing. I think it would be great with a bunch of roasted veggi’s for the bottom layer :)

Martine says:

My favorite way to make vegetarian shepherd’s pie is this:

Put 1 heaping cup of (rinsed and sorted) lentils into 2 1/3 cups boiling water, bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until softened but still holding their shape somewhat.

Drain what’s left of the water and mash slightly. Then, saute the lentils in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce (use a vegetarian brand, most are not, or make your own). I use this as “ground beef” in tons of recipes, where it calls for crumbled cooked ground beef. Think tacos, in pasta sauce, etc. (When it calls for raw beef, I boil a little longer and mash more. Then it can be used to form patties, balls, and loaves.)

Then I make it pretty much as above, only I use a LOT more veggies (mirepoix of course, but then corn, mushrooms, peas, radishes, kale — whatever I have in my fridge or freezer I usually throw in there and I have yet to be disappointed). Also, to make the gravy, I use a “chicken” broth made of nutritional yeast flakes and salt dissolved in water, along with some thyme, sage, and black pepper. I’ve fooled omnivores with that one, it tastes just like chicken gravy.

Anyway, with the substitution of lentils for ground beef you still get an incredibly hearty, comforting meal. An added benefit (besides being vegetarian) is that you also swap out a lot of nasty animal fats without losing all your protein, and you get added fiber. I recommend it for everyone at least once, not just vegetarians. Some omnivores have never have eaten a meatless meal that was really “stick to your ribs.” This is the one.

I haven’t had this in years and this looks like the version I like just with green beans and meat. I will add this to my list to make for my family…

I love it when I have all the ingreients for one of your recipes! Thanks for this one, it’s going to be dinner tonight :)

Ella says:

This looks amazing! A really posh version, thanks for sharing. Just a note, and ignore this please if you think I am being picky: Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb (shepherd-sheep), and the version made with beef is Cottage Pie.

merium says:

We make a Curried Shepherds Pie that is out of this world! It’s one of our favorite meals!

Avril says:

Delicious!!! I love the fact that not only do you include green beans in your SP but also HOMEMADE gravy!!!! So yummmy looking and I look forward to making this recipe myself soon. THANK YOU for sharing! :-)

Carleen says:

This looks to yummy. I’ve been looking for a recipe and this is simple an too the point. Can’t wait to try. Thank you for sharing.

justcooknyc says:

i guess this goes on my list of yummy-looking things that i haven’t tried making myself yet

That meal looks so warming and delicious! I wonder if it would taste good with sweet potatoes? I may have to give it a try :)

Deborah says:

This makes me crave the cooler weather that is right around the corner!

This is definitely one of those meals that is perfect on a cool night when you need something warm and hearty. Your version looks great!

Brian says:

Sorry to be a picky Englishman!

Shepherds pie uses ground lamb, ground beef is cottage pie.

Both delicious.

Patty Ann says:

We make this too, the recipe is slightly different and it is one of our favorites. I might just have to try yours too! Thank you for all the recipes that you keep posting! We love them.

Dana says:

Thank you. You have just help me decide what to make for dinner! I have all the ingredients! YEA~

I have to tell you that Shepherd’s Pie is one of my favorite all time meals. I love it so much, it was my very first blog post. Glad to hear everyone is off to a great year of school. Enjoy more time in the kitchen :) xo

Love this, and such perfect timing! Amazingly I had never tried shepherd’s pie before this past Saturday night – my boyfriend and I were in Toronto for the weekend and went to an Irish pub one night and he got shepherd’s pie and I got a taste. SOOOOO good! I can’t wait to make a homemade version!

Jaime-Ann says:

Um– I am pretty sure this is on the menu this week! YUM-Oh! And I have a bottle of the same hot sauce in my fridge – oh, it’s on!

Great comfort food!

Kristen says:

I like hot sauce on my shepherd’s pie too! Yours looks delicious.

Biz says:

I guess I never realized there were green beans in Sheperd’s pie? Looks delicious, but you had me at sriracha! :D

Eliana says:

These is nothing my comforting than shepherds pie – this one looks absolutely perfect :)

Michelle says:

I’ve got that same Hot Sauce and it is way too hot for me! But I’m a light weight when it comes to spicy!!

Tickled Red says:

Great post! Shepard’s pie is definitely post worthy, especially since your little monkeys love it so much and it warms not only their bellies but your heart. My boys have a favorite, my youngest has even said “You’re going to teach us how to make that, right?” He nearly made me cry.

Tracy says:

Shepherd’s pie is perfect comfort food, especially now that cooler weather is here! Yum!

These are beautiful photos! I think serving with hot sauce is a great idea.

Melissa says:

We love Shepherd’s Pie too! Instead of making a white sauce for the meat layer, I usually add some petite decided tomatoes and let it simmer for a while. I’m thinking I might have to make this for dinner tonight!

Amanda says:

I love shepherd’s pie, one of my favorite comfort foods!

Stephanie G says:

We had this for dinner tonight…omg! so de-lish!!
    thank you for this quick, easy recipe.
    always,
    Steph

Laura Warnke says:

Mmmm..one of my favorite comfort foods. What a perfect time of year to make Shepherds pie. The weather is cooler and I am looking forward to doing some cooking this weekend and trying out your recipe. My husband and I do love hot sauce, but never thought of putting in on Shepherds pie. Sounds wonderful!

Jason says:

Great shepherd pie! Sriracha is wonderful on just about any comfort food there is. Great recipe for the fall/winter coming right around the corner.

Angie says:

I’ve never made, this, but I have had a Cuban version made by a friend. This looks amazing, I have to put it on the to make list!

Megan says:

Looks delicious!

This is such a comfort dish for me. My grandmother would always make shepherds pie when the weather turned cold, but she used ground lamb in her version. Hot sauce on the side is a “must”.

[...] Homemade Shepherd’s Pie (Picky Palate) Amazingly, I just tried shepherd’s pie for the first time last weekend. I only had a bite, but it was delicious and I immediately thought how easy it would be to make at home. And then this showed up in my Google Reader – perfect timing! [...]

This looks fabulous kids or not, I have never seen such a tasty looking Shepherd’s Pie!

The Irish in me is loving this recipe! It looks absolutely delicious!

Sharie Thompson says:

Comfort food is my fav!
    This recipe is in my oven right now. Thanks for posting a recipe where I have all the ingredients in my kitchen. Didn’t even have to leave home! Can’t wait until the timer goes off ;)

Cheri Clark says:

I made this for dinner tonight and it was fabulous! Comfort food at its finest. Thank you for such a simple and wonderful recipe. I can’t wait to try some others. Oh, and BTW you are 110% right about adding Sriracha sauce, delicious!

Merideth says:

We made this for dinner last night and it was a hit! Best homemade shepherds pie we’ve had! It’s a keeper! Thanks Jenny!

Marcia says:

I have the ultimate picky eater and he cleaned his plate last night. We will definitely have this again for dinner! I followed the recipe exactly and it was easy and delicious. Thanks Jenny!

Brandi says:

This looks super good! I plan on making it soon. Do you think it would be okay to use canned green beans for this dish?

LT says:

Definitely one I’m going to try. This looks yummy and very kid friendly…hehehe. Anything for the kids right? Thanks for sharing.