Sharing my favorite Hawaiian Haystacks recipe today! Perfect crock pot recipe the whole family loves! Homemade chicken gravy and lots of toppings!
Has everyone heard of Hawaiian Haystacks?! I had a friend over for dinner last week and she had never heard of or had Hawaiian Haystacks! I couldn’t believe it. We had this dinner all the time in Arizona, lol! Maybe it’s just an Arizona thing.
If you haven’t had this kind of dinner before you are in for a treat. It’s basically rice layered with a creamy chicken soup like gravy and topped with all kinds of fun toppings as you can see. It’s great to serve when you’ve got a lot of people over so everyone can make their own style.
Try my Crock Pot Chicken Broccoli Over Rice recipe too! Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration!
You can pretty much use whatever veggies you like with chicken. We love these baby heirlooms!
Green onions 🙂
These dried cranberries are really good as a topping.
Crispy Chow Mein noodles. Adds the perfect crunch!
Some pineapple and sliced black olives.
Lots of cheese please 🙂
Alright, here we go, let’s start adding to this!
Add your chicken gravy and some green onions.
Some cranberries and olives.
Pineapple chunks and tomatoes!
LOVE these crispy noodles!
Don’t forget the cheese…..then grab your fork and go to town!
Tips For Serving
- It’s nice serving this meal family style. I like to put all of the toppings in little dishes so everyone can choose their favorites for their own plate.
- Keep the chicken gravy in a crock pot so that it stays warm all night
- A nice chopped salad goes great with this dinner.
- Hawaiian Haystacks are perfect for Sunday Dinner serving a crowd!
Homemade Hawaiian Haystacks
- 8 tablespoons (1 sticunsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of dry Ranch Dressing seasoning packet
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- Steamed rice enough for your family
- Chow Mein Crispy Noodles
- sliced green onions
- black olives
- shredded cheese
- Place butter into a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to melt. Slowly whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth and thick, for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Increase heat to high whisking until thick, about 2 minutes. Add sour cream, Ranch seasoning, garlic salt, and cooked chicken breast. Stir and season accordingly. You may prefer additional, salt, pepper and garlic salt. I transferred this to my crock pot and kept it on low all day until dinner. You can either serve it immediately or crock pot it until you are ready.
- Place rice on serving plates and top with chicken gravy. Have toppings at the table and top with whatever you like! Have fun!