Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jan
2011

Lemon Dressing Drizzled Chickpea and Sweet Pepper Arugula Salad

Tags: , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

I know what you are thinking…..Is this really all that good?  I am here to tell you, IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD!  Talk about a healthy salad you could eat and not feel at all guilty about!  It’s colorful, flavorful and just what we need to keep us on track for our goals of staying healthy for 2011!!

Do give this one a try.  I first tried this salad from a birthday party and no joke could not stop eating it!  I was never even a fan of chickpeas until I tried this refreshing salad.  I just knew I had to re-create it for everyone to try.  Hope you enjoy!

Here’s your line-up.

Drain those chickpeas :)

Roasted Red Peppers may look like some creepy sea creature, but look out they come packed with tons of flavor!

Give the peppers a good chop and add to your chickpeas.

Time to make your lemon dressing.  Really simple.  Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  It’s wonderful!

You’ll use 1/2 of a nice juicy lemon.

Give it a good squeeze into your olive oil.

Season with salt and pepper then give a good wisk.

Pour dressing over your chickpeas and peppers :)

….and give a good toss.

Lay down some beautiful arugula leaves in a serving dish.

Place your chickpeas and peppers tossed in dressing over your arugula, give a nice toss and EAT :)

Lemon Dressing Drizzled Chickpea and Sweet Pepper Arugula Salad

2 15 0z cans garbanzo beans, drained

1 Cup chopped roasted red pepper, drained

1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 fresh lemon squeezed

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 bag of fresh arugula

1.  Place garbanzo beans and peppers into a mixing bowl.  Place olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk to combine.  Toss over garbanzo beans and toss to coat.  Spoon over a bed of fresh arugula leaves and toss.  Serve room temperature or chilled.

4 servings

___________________________________

Have a great rest of your week!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Love chickpeas! I am thinking I would like to try this with roasted ones too.

I happen to have all of these on hand! Looks great!

This salad looks so nice and refreshing! Perfect side dish or meal.

this sounds so fresh and amazing! i love the lemon dressing too; i’m always looking for good homemade dressing recipes but haven’t found one i love just yet. i can’t wait to make this one!

I am going to get the ingredients for this today! I just started weight watchers and this would be a healthy recipe to add to my menu! Thanks!

This looks like a great lunch salad! So simple, yet I’m sure it tastes amazing. Thanks for this recipe.

Wenderly says:

This just looks so bright and crunchy and vibrant! It’s exactly what I need I need right now in the middle of cold, dark and sluggish winter! Thanks love! :)

Lisa Huff says:

That looks so good and I don’t generally like chickpeas either. I love those spoons! did you get them recently?

Hi Lisa
      I found those cute salad utensils at TJ Maxx last year, love that place!!

• Lisa Huff says:

That’s so funny because I was at HomeGoods and TJ Maxx today and they had some of those salad utensils almost exactly like yours but yours are much cuter so I held off on buying them. But I bought a bunch of other stuff! haha! I’m addicted to those 2 stores!

I love chick peas! When I was little I used to open a can and eat the whole thing, my mo thought I was a little crazy ;) This is the prefect salad for me!

I all ready love chickpeas so I do not need any convincing to try this salad – looks awesome Jenny. The pics are bold & beautiful! xo

Chaya says:

What a delightful lunch, this would make.

peggy says:

Yum! This looks great!

This looks AMAZING! I love chickpeas! Mmmmm : )

Mmm, I absolutely LOVE arugula. I will be giving this simple one a try!

EatLiveRun says:

yum! I love chickpeas! Your photos are beautiful, Jenny!

I love chickpeas!!! Great looking salad!

Abby says:

We have been loving salads at our house lately! Thanks!

i already love chickpeas this is right up my alley. I will recreate later this week. thanks for sharing

Lauren B. says:

A nice change from just plain ol’ salads! Have fun on your trip!

Jenny I love all your fun, creative, and yummy dessert recipes but I am really lovin’ these back to back meals that you have been sharing!

I would so eat this! I’ve just recently (within the last year) started eating chickpeas and experimenting with them and this salad looks delicious. Lemon in the dressing sound so tasty!

Chili Dude says:

What a great idea!! Looks like a great recipe. I am going to have to try this one this weekend. I am going to cook it for the family.

Thanks

Chili Dude

I have all the ingredients in my cupboard! Except i was at TJ’s today, just posted about it, and picked up a fresh red pepper. How crazy..I can totally make this tomorrow without leaving my house! YAY!

Chickpeas are definitely my favorite bean, and I am always looking for ways to use arugula. This must be a wonderful combination. I LOVE your photos and am so pleased to have discovered your blog through Food News. I look forward to reading your posts!

This looks like the best kind of meal. Fast, easy, and fresh. Can’t wait to try it!

This is basically all my favourite things in a salad!

So fresh and simple! Love this one Jenny!

Tracy says:

What a fresh, light salad! Perfect for pretending that it’s not freezing cold outside!

Leslie says:

This looks huh-mazing. I bet it would be great with a little sprinkle of feta cheese too :)

Inna says:

Yum! This looks so delicious and healthy! Can’t wait to try it!

maryann says:

Hi
    I made this recipe and love, love, loved it.
    I wanted to also let you know how much I love your website
    Thanks for all your recipes and hard work.
    MaryAnn

This is the way to do a healthy salad – plenty of protein and lots of different flavors. Nice!

[...] from Budget Bytes Chickpeas, White Mushrooms, and Spinach from Salad PrideLemon Dressing Drizzled Chickpea and Sweet Pepper Arugula Salad from Picky PalateWild Salmon Salad from Dani SpiesAvocado, Tomatoes, and Lettuce [...]

[...] Picky Palate says – this recipe is colorful, flavorful AND healthy – Lemon Dressing Drizzled Chickpea and Sweet Pepper Arugula Salad – talk about an explosion of flavors! Picky Palate – [...]