Apr
2011

Creamy Tomato Soup with Corn, Chicken and Bacon….done in 15 minutes!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Dinner

Creamy soup without the guilt, yes you heard me correctly :)  Have you ever used buttermilk in place of heavy cream for cream soups?  Well, it works beautifully and really cuts down on fat and calories, woohoo!

I will be the first to admit that I don’t use it all the time, heaven knows I love my heavy cream, but sometimes it is a great option….like in this speedy tomato soup that’s done in about 15 minutes.

I love picking up some nice bread bowls from the grocery store to serve homemade soup in.  Feels kinda like you are eating at a restaurant, you know?  I added a small can of Mexicorn from Green Giant that has some red and green peppers mixed in.  If you can’t find it at your grocery store, just a normal can of corn is fine :)

Hope you all enjoy!

Here’s your simple line-up.  Nothing too crazy :)

Mmmm, bread bowl!  Cut out the centers and you are ready to go.

A little onion, garlic and two cans of diced tomatoes :)  Place them all into the food processor, mixing until smooth.

They’ll be nice and pureed like so.

Add your corn.

…and your seasonings.

Time for the buttermilk.

Add your shredded chicken and bacon….and it’s time to eat!

Place soup inside your bread bowl, mmmmm!

Creamy Tomato Soup with Corn, Chicken and Bacon

1/4 cup white onion

4 cloves garlic

Two 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes

One 8-ounce can Mexicorn (a blend of corn with red and green bell peppers)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 cup chicken broth

2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken and shred it)

1 cup cooked crumbled bacon

Bread bowls if desired

1. Place onion, garlic and tomatoes into a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add corn, stirring to combine then add salt, pepper and cumin, stirring again to combine. Stir in buttermilk, chicken broth, chicken and bacon pieces until combined. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Serve inside hollowed out bread bowls if desired.

Makes 6 servings

_______________________

Come see me talk about Living my Dream Job over at Daily Dose of Sugar Mama!!

Have a great rest of your week, come back soon!!

Comments

kimberlycun says:

yummy! love how easy this is!

Oooh, I’ve been looking for a new quick meal… and this looks delicious! I posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2011/04/creamy-tomato-soup-with-chicken-bacon.html

Thanks for sharing!
    Missy & Kimi
    ificould-ificould.blogspot.com

Jenny, you are just powering out the posts! Wow, I love it. All these great recipes, give aways, you rock. I love tomato soup AND easy, fast recipes. Thanks for a keeper!

LimeCake says:

Mmm soup looks perfect for the cold weather in Australia right now. The bread bowls are just darling!

Clare says:

mmmh looks delicious!!

Jenny, love that you lightened things up with buttermilk. This soup looks amazing and your photography & styling are splendid! xo

EatLiveRun says:

love the bread bowl addition!! Bread bowls make everything better. :) Soup looks fantastic, Jenny!

Deborah says:

This sounds delicious!! I also love using evaporated milk in place of cream – it works great as well!

Jessica says:

Thanks for helping me decide what to make for dinner tonight!! It’s raining here so it’s a perfect meal for that! Now I need to decide which goodie of yours to make to go with it since a rainy day is perfect for baking with my 4 year old! :)

Right up my alley! Simple, delicious! My family will love this!

Kylie says:

Oh that looks SO good and comforting! I will have to try it :)

Erin A says:

Looks so good. I really need a food processor.

Lisa says:

That looks delicious! I’d never think to add those ingredients to tomato soup but I’ve added pasta to my tomato soup to bulk it up.

Jenn L says:

Glorious! Tomato soup is one of my staples! and in a bread bowl? Even better!! I’ll have to try it! Thanks!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Jennifurla says:

How can I resist, love it.

Perfect for easter or a mother’s day brunch!

Katrina says:

I love the bread bowl! Yum!

Lanell says:

My husband and I just ate at the Yard House Restaurant this weekend and I had their Tomato Bisque. It was so good. He told me I have got to learn how to make it. I am going to try this recipe and I already know it will be good, because ev-er-ry thing you make is good. (And this is easy).

LOVE soup no matter what the season, this looks great, thanks!

Sara says:

OMGEEEE Jenny!!! SOOO delish! thanks for posting! I do think I did something wrong cause mine didn’t come out creamy at all, but still delish!

Glad you enjoyed it Sara, maybe next time add a little more buttermilk and chicken broth until it’s as creamy as you’d like.

jen says:

I know in some recipes that you can substitute sour milk (lemon and milk) for buttermilk… wondering if that would work in this one or if the consistency would be different enough to make it a bad idea?? Comments?

Hi Jen,
      I wouldn’t use that substitute for this particular recipe. I know that would work in most baked goods, but I can’t imagine it working out in my tomato soup :) Hope this helps :0

Bee says:

This look soooo good! WHY have I never thought to make my own bread bowls?? They’d be PERFECT for clam chowder!

How cute is this soup?? I love cute soup! Looks delicious and easy too- bonus :)

I love eating soup in a bread bowl!

jordan says:

Oh, I love this idea and the bread bowl is the show-stopper! :) Now if only I can convince my husband that we should have something besides mozzarella-stuffed meatballs for dinner on occasion…!

This looks so delicious and hearty! Love the addition of the bread bowl :)

Jennifer says:

Does the buttermilk give it a funky flavor??

Amanda says:

LOVE how quick and easy this is, it’d be perfect dinner on this stormy night! :)

Tracy says:

Love how quick this is!!

This soup in the bread basket looks delicious! I like how you added buttermilk to it.

Mike says:

Quick and easy soup for a meal, great recipe. Now I know what to do with the leftover chicken that we grilled!
    ————-
    Thanks and Regards
    Mike

blenders and food processors

Karly says:

Oh, that looks amazing. I have a serious craving for tomato soup for breakfast all of a sudden. ;)

[...] recipe is created by Jenny Flake at Picky Palate, and photos are by [...]

[...] Creamy Tomato Soup with Corn, Chicken & Bacon from Picky Palate This entry was posted in Home, Recipes and tagged biscuits, cheese, potato, soup, tomatoes. Bookmark the permalink. ← Recipe – Potato Muffins [...]

Carol says:

This seriously sounds so yummy. I like the idea of the bread bowl — kind of earthy & homey. Quickly bookmarked this, along with the Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs & your Ugliest Best Cookie. Had to chuckle over that one. That sounds like it would be so yummy over ice cream! Thanks for sharing all the deliciousness.

I’m excited that you are writing a cookbook. Is this your first or have you written others? Our son is an Executive Chef & is working on a cookbook in collaboration with Dr. Andrew Weil. Michael is the Exec. Chef of True Food Kitchen where Dr. Weil is part owner. They have 2 restaurants in AZ, in Phoenix & in Scottsdale, one in Newport Beach & about to open #4 in Santa Monica. The cookbook will reflect the organic, healthy menu of the restaurant. Writing cookbooks seems such an exciting endeavor. I wish you all the best.
    CAS

Have you ever tried shredding chicken with a Bosch? It’s amazing!! 8 seconds. Saves me so much time in kitchen.

Big Fan of your cooking!

Jessica says:

This soup was great! I took the long road and cooked the bacon, and onions before hand in the soup pot then added the chick stock to pull up all the bits. Left out the buttermilk and didn’t miss it. This was such a great recipe I just had to roast a chicken just for it. Turned out to be a new family favorite! Thank you so much for the inspiration!!

[...] Creamy Tomato Soup with Corn, Chicken & Bacon – This was awesome. Serving it in a bread bowl made it a special meal that both Nels and I loved. Kaya even got in on the action and liked it! I used turkey bacon and added some extra spice with cayenne. [...]

[...] Mexican-Inspired Soup Very loosely based on THIS RECIPE from Picky [...]

[...] recipe is created by Jenny Flake at Picky Palate, and photos are by [...]

Dianna says:

This looks great! I think I found dinner for tonight :)

Richard says:

Good work with your blog. I am going to share it with my friends on facebook.
    Making a chicken coop really is a relatively simple event when there\\\\\\\’s a assortment of blueprints and prebuilts offered. Whichever way you do it, it\\\\\\\’s a terrific activity in many ways. Fresh eggs everyday, along with the enjoyment that comes as a result of experiencing a good dose of going back-to- nature and self-dependence.

Loy says:

Just ran across this recipe. It look so good. I am putting it in my Friday Finds for this week. Thanks for sharing.

[...] made it the other night to go with this soup (really good soup, by the way) because as the day dawned, there was no dawning. It was [...]

I love everything that are yummy with less effort on the kitchen. :)