Apr
2011

Bowl of Homemade Parmesan Potato Chips….for one :)

Tags: , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Ever been in the mood to just make a batch of homemade chips…for just yourself?  Well, I did, just last week as a matter of fact.  I was looking at the bag of potatoes in my kitchen and it was as if they were just asking me to turn them into salty, golden brown, crispy chips…..so I gave in and said, why not!

You wanna know the coolest part?  This fun bowl for me, myself, and I only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.  Before I knew it, I was crunching on crispy homemade chips.  It was awesome :) ……then my husband came home from lunch and stole the bowl from me.  Little stinker.

Next time you pass by a “spud” in your kitchen, turn that russet into a devilish little snack for yourself.  Put them in a pretty little parchment lined bowl and eat em’ like no one is looking, lol!  Can you tell that’s what I did?

Enjoy!

Here you have it, Left: salt, a potato, Parmesan (shredded or grated is fine) and canola or vegetable oil.

Use a sharp knife, be very careful and slice your potato very thinly. If you have a mandolin, that is a much better option. I was too lazy to pull mine out of the back of my cupboard.

Fill your pot full with about 2-inches of oil and heat it to 350 degrees F.  When the oil has reached temperature, carefully drop your potato slices in.  I do this in 2 batches, per one potato.

This metal spyder comes in very handy for this task, however a heat  proof slotted spoon will do the trick too.  Let these slices cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.

Time to season.  I was in the mood for just salt and Parmesan, but can you just imagine the fun seasonings you can play with?!

Here you have the best bowl of chips ever!  Enjoy!

Bowl of Homemade Parmesan Potato Chips…for one :)

Canola oil, (pot filled with 2 inches of oil)

1 large russet potato

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 to 3 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese

1. Heat oil in medium Dutch oven or other pot over medium heat. Place thermometer in oil and heat to 350 degrees F.

2. Thinly slice potato and in batches, carefully drop slices into hot oil once it’s reaches 350 degrees F. (I did 2 batches for 1 potato). Cook and stir potato slices until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Remove with a slotted spoon or a metal spyder as I have pictured above to a paper towel lined bowl or plate. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch or two of Parmesan Cheese. Serve as desired. Best if eaten immediately :)

Makes 1 serving, double accordingly :)

________________________________

Have a great rest of your week!  Come back soon!

Comments

I see these in my near future!

Easy, 3 ingredients, and a crowd pleaser, I can tell that for sure! Great recipe, Jenny! I always love as FEW ingredients as possible. Yum!

I love these! They look so much better than regular potato chips!

These looks so tasty! YUM!

Jenny not only is this idea fabulous but that top photo is one of my all time favorites. The lighting and the color is gorgeous!

i think the best part is the “for one” part please and thank you!

Erin says:

Parmesan fries are great, but potato chips? I’ve definitely got to try these. Especially since I can make a batch just for me!

I had to laugh when I read you were to lazy to pull your mandolin from the cupboard, because that is so me. Very impressed with your thin slices. I can’t wait to try these.

Michele Guizzetti says:

Bless you girl! Yummy yum yum!

What a fun little snack idea! My little guy would love these for an after-school snack. The things I never think to make…!

I am a chip addict so thank you for the single serving recipe!!

jenna says:

what a fast and easy snack, side dish or appetizer!! they look great!

Amanda N says:

Oh those look evil! I really need to get a thermometer like that. I haven’t ever fried anything on my own. Do you have a lot of splatter?

It’s 6:50 am, is it too early for these? ;)

Love that this recipe is for one because I could certainly eat them all. They look too good to share! ;)

Kelley says:

Those look absolutely luscious!!

Deborah says:

I was just looking at a couple of potatoes in my cupboard this morning, wondering what I was going to do with them!

Camie says:

Mmmmmm

I know I have written on your blog before but yesterday I had a problem…. my Internet was down all day… My problem was I make my shopping lists from your blog… and cook ONLY from your blog so when my internet was down I just had to make … well we’ll just say not as as yummy of a dinner my family is used to last night :) Glad it is back up and I have you to help me cook!!! I can’t wait for your book to come out! THank you Thank you! I always appreciate what I have when all the sudden one day I don’t have it :)

EatLiveRun says:

yay for single serving recipes! This has my name all over it!

rachel says:

I will have to try this with the cheese! A healthier version is to just line a cookie sheet with foil and line the potato slices up in rows. Sprinkle with just a little bit of oil (it doesn’t even need to have it on all of them, then add the salt and bake at 325 for 20 minutes…) I have been trying to stay away from the fried foods lately.

Katrina says:

These sound amazing! I must make them soon!

I haven’t taken the time to make homemade potato chips in years. Thanks for reminding me how yummy they are!

Janie N. says:

I believe I’m having potato chips for dinner tonight!

oh these look yummy. Never attempted homemade chips before, you may have persuaded me :)

These are the yummiest looking chips I’ve ever seen. I love homemade chips, but I’ve never thought to make them at home. Thanks for the idea and recipe!

Christa says:

delicious and beautiful!

Your pics are great. We’d love for you to post your pics/recipes at dishfolio.com!

Wow, they look very appetizing and sound easy to make. My hubby would love them! Beautiful photos!

This is my kind of food! Holy yum.

If you’re feeling particularly frisky, you can also drizzle a bit of shredded Mozzarella and some chicken gravy over them for a poutine-like dish that will blow your mind. No, really, it’s unforgettable. We do it with fries all the time. Try it and you’ll see.

Kerry says:

These look delicious! I love potato chips.

Wow, these look amazing and they’re so simple! We like making our chips in the microwave… I know it sounds weird, but it works! I’ll have to try doing it this way!

Sarah says:

Also amazing with sweet potatoes, no Parmesan just lightly salted.

I always love homemade potato chips…never thought to try them with parmesan. Thanks for the great idea!

I love that I don’t have to share:)

Oh my goodness, Jenny! These are right up my alley. I’m certain I wouldn’t be able to stop eating these pretty chips.

Tracy says:

I love it! What a great snack, yum!!

Brooke says:

Oh, Jenny. I want these. Yesterday. AMAZING!

This recipe is so great because it’s so customizable!!!

Nessa Robins says:

I am always in search of tasty snacks to make for having with a movie. These sound perfect and I will definitely try them out. Thanks.

kathy says:

I tried these. They are delicious and very easy! Thanks for the great recipe!

Rachel Dell says:

okay those look amazing AND easy. i must make them soon. yum!

Leslie says:

I made this last night and I am in love!!! And your site is feeding us for the rest of the week. Amazing recipes and pictures!!! Kuddos to you!!

ooo we love homemade chips at our house. I bet these were awesome

I used my mandoline for the first time and I sliced my finger! But the potato chips came out great so it made up for it!!

[...] and fried snickers (not as good as you would think) at the rodeo. However, my love of chips, and Picky Palate’s potato chip post inspired me to try my hand at [...]

[...] Homemade Parmesan Potato Chips from Picky Palate [...]

Hi Jenny,
    I just had a reader ask if I have a great potato chip recipe. I sent her to this recipe…such beautiful photos as usual. Have a great day!
    ~Jamie

[...] the ruffles on a platter with a sprinkling of fleur de sel.Hungry for more? Chow down on these:Parmesan Potato Chips from Picky PalateBaked Sweet Potato Chips from Christine’s RecipesCrisp Potato Cakes from [...]

Julia says:

These seem like the perfect Friday night snack, I might have to make me some TONIGHT!