Dec
2011

Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars

Tags: ,

Cookies

Christmas is coming….and fast.  I wish I could hit a pause button right now and soak up all of the festivities just a little longer.

I was like a giddy school girl when I cut into these bars last week.  The gooey goodness coming out of them should be illegal, lol!

York Peppermint Patty’s are perfectly nestled in between two layers of buttery crisp yet perfectly chewy cookie dough layers for a thick knock out bar.

Run, don’t walk to your kitchen and get baking these monstrous treats.  Enjoy!

Here is your line up of ingredients.  Simple right?

Love these patties, especially around Christmas!

You know the drill, let’s start with the butter.

Add the sugar.

Add the egg, vanilla and mix, mix, mix :)

Time for the dry ingredients.

Yay for chocolate chunks!  Feel free to use regular chocolate chips if you’d rather.

Give her another quick mix and…..

Perfect-o!  Now, sample this fabulous dough.

Take half of your dough and press it into the bottom of your prepared 8×8 inch baking pan.

Peppermint Patty time!

Layer the bag over the first layer of dough, then top with your remaining dough.

Press evenly.

Like so, now time to bake!  350 degrees F. for 40 minutes, until golden and baked through.

How pretty is that?

After I pulled the foil away, found this little fabulous corner.  Yum!

The trick is, you MUST let these cool completely, which might seem like forever (about an hour).  They have to finish setting up in the middle.  Trust me, I was impatient :)

Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

12 ounce bag chocolate chunks

12 ounce bag of York Peppermint Patties

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray.

2. Place butter and sugars into the bowl of a stand or electric mixer. Beat until creamy and light. Add eggs and vanilla beating until well combined.

3. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl, mixing to combine then slowly add to wet ingredients. Add chocolate chunks and mix until just combined. Transfer half of dough into prepared baking pan, pressing evenly. Place unwrapped peppermint patties over first half of cookie dough. Place remaining half of cookie dough over peppermint patties, pressing to flatten dough. Bake for 38-45 minutes or until baked through. Be sure to Let the cookie bars cool completely before cutting into squares. Takes about an hour. Be patient, it is finishing setting up!!

4. Cut cooled bars into squares and serve.

Makes 12 bars

**Note: If you would like a thinner bar, use the same recipe plus one more bag of Peppermint Patties and arrange in a 9×13 inch baking dish.  Watch baking time after 25-30 minutes in the larger pan.  Enjoy!**

____________________________

Have a great day and come back soon!

Comments

Priyanka says:

Yummy cookie…wanna have a bite right away

Mmmm, I love that you made them so thick instead of having thinner bars. Oops, I typed brownies there first….freudian slip?…because they make me think they’d be sorta fudgy, chocolatey goodness in that thick of a bar. Yum.

Tis the season for peppermint and these look perfect, Jenny!

Love how thick and PACKED with things they are….yum!

These look amazing with the Peppermint Patty oozing out of every bite!

i love how gooey these are…the stuff dreams are made of!

I think the Mr would keel if I messed with a chocolate chip cookie (other than adding M&Ms) but that doesn’t mean I can’t sneak a few patties into about 2-3 for ME! :)

Love the minty surprise!

Oh my word! These sound delightful!

Oh my word, Jenny! These look fabulous!

Deborah says:

I have some peppermint patties left from my cookies last week – I totally want to make these now!!

Kathleen says:

I need to eat these RIGHT NOW! Yum.

Candy + Cookie + Bar = Perfection

Love it!!

Mae Lynn Arlinghaus says:

That picture with the peppermint oozing out of the corner sold me on this recipe! Thank you!

Tricia says:

Jenny – First, these look so yummy! I need to take a treat to a ward party this week so these just might need to make an appearance. But quick question. Is the cookie pretty crunchy from the long bake time? I like mine on the chewier side so I am wondering if I could shorten the cook time a little? What do you think?

Hi Tricia,
      The cookie is buttery crisp on the top, but the inside is nice and chewy. I took mine out at about 35 minutes and they were perfect inside. Just make sure you give them a good hour before cutting into squares :)

Seriously?! These look so incredibly amazing. I don’t know how you continue to come up with so many fabulous things to stuff inside a cookie!

These look pure evil! And of course I must make them…..

[...] you cut them… they will keep their shape better if cooled when cutting. Recipe adapted from Picky Palate. Filed Under: bars, bars, butterscotch chips, chocolate, cookies, featured, filled cookies, [...]

Becky says:

You are god!

Oh wow, these sound delicious! Definitely bookmarking them :)

Colleen Smith says:

These cookies look irresistible! I feel as if everyone should know about it! Would you mind sharing this delicious recipe with our Facebook fans on the U.S. Postal Service Fan Page? Happy Holidays! http://on.fb.me/ujGGtE

Sandra says:

Sweet Mother of Pearl! How long would I have to be on the treadmill to work off a couple of these I wonder.

Those look stinking fantastic!!! I love me a cookie bar :)

JANE says:

Holy moly, I need to make these immediately.

Gayle Price says:

I had a bunch of peppermint patties left over from making Peppermint Brownie Pops, can’t wait to use them on this recipe!

OMG I am speechless from their delicious beauty!

These look amazing! I love any kind of brownie with candy inside – especially peppermint!

Courtney says:

Oh my! I don’t even like peppermint and these are making me drool! I may have to make them!

Melissa says:

OMG, these look insane! I can’t wait to make them!! Thanks for sharing!

Oh heaven. These look amazing! I think I’ll try them as a gift for neighbors. I can see why you’d be impatient with them…delish.

Catherine Z says:

The recipe looked so amazing that I had to try it out. Peppermint and chocolate just screams holiday time for me! Cant wait to try them, they are in the oven now. :-) Testing the recipe out for my husbands work Christmas party, I have a feeling they will be a big hit just from the pictures. Thanks so much for posting this!!

Rachel says:

It looks like cookie dough in the middle still… HEAVEN! I will be trying these out for my mom soon, she loves those patties! Nice work!

MikeVFMK says:

You know how to rock cookies in any form. Really a gift and always love dropping by when I need some baking inspiration. Great as usual, Jenny!

Abercrombie says:

I like baked peppermint patty surprise chocolate chunk cookie bars.
    These look SO good…I make some from a Martha Stewart recipe, but these look much healthier!! I’m going to have to try them.Thanks for sharing!

Emily says:

i made these with my 5 year old daughter and they were amazing! we put them in a 9×13 and they turned out delicious! thanks for a great recipe!

I LOVE peppermint patties… These may have to be a last minute edition to my holiday cookie box this year.

Kim says:

I made these this week. It was a rotten Tuesday so I got everyone to bed and made them. I couldn’t try them until Wednesday morning. Amazing! Ummm… I had a dentist appointment Thursday and didn’t want to go too crazy, but it was REALLY hard to not eat them all! You totally ROCK!

[...] Peppermint Patty Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars, Picky Palate blog and photo credit [...]

Sarah says:

These are currently baking in my oven! :D I am so excited to try the goodness. I can’t eat too many though, i’m making them as a gift :/

[...] from here. this might just be the best recipe i’ve EVER made. the combination of melty peppermint [...]

Lauren says:

These were a BIG hit at the Yankee swap I went to last night! People recognized them from your blog :)

Abby says:

I want to make these for my boyfriend & his father but neither are big fans of mint. Would I be able to switch out the York peppermint patties for another candy bar such as the cookies n’ creme?

Abby says:

wow thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I do have one other question though. Is it 2 sticks of butter? From the picture it looks like 1 stick sliced in half? Just want to double check, thanks!

[...] Palate- Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars (These look like some serious cookie bars!! Dying to try [...]

hailey says:

peppermint patties are such a weakness of mine! I cannot wait to give these babies a try :)
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Sally says:

Hi Jenny! I wanted to let you know that I made these AMAZING cookie bars this weekend and brought them to a party. They disappeared and everyone raved about them. The gooey peppermint patties inside were delicious!!

[...] Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars | Picky … Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup packed light brown. [...]

Looks amazing! Perfect for this time of year with peppermint patties. :)

[...] Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars by Jenny Flake at Picky Palate [...]