Jan
2012

Cherry, Chocolate Chunk and Marshmallow Cookies…aka Reed’s Pantry Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

I had so much fun creating these cookies at my Father-in-law’s house over Christmas Break.  Reed has got the absolute best pantry in the whole world.  I am talking treats galore.  The first thing the kids do when they get to Grawpa Reed’s house is run straight to the pantry to see what they can find.

These cookies are a creation straight from Reed’s pantry.  I walked inside, grabbed some ingredients I thought would be perfect for a fun new cookie.  I had Reed help me make them and they were delicious!

Take a look :)

Here is our line up of ingredients.  If you can’t find the exact cherry sticks that we used, never fear.  You can generally find orange sticks or raspberry sticks at about any grocery store.  Any flavor would be fabulous!

Here is my special helper for the day…..Reed, Reedy, Grawpa Reed, Dorito.  Those are just a few of his nicknames :)  Reed and I both LOVE chocolate chip cookies, so it was fun baking with him.

Here are those Cherry Sticks.  He picked them up at Sportman’s.  Also a shot of the dry ingredients :)

Marshmallows and Milk Chocolate Chunks!  Reed gets his bloc of chocolate from Shar’s Bosch Kitchen in Gilbert, AZ.  It was perfect in these cookies.  Any chocolate chips would be a fine substitute if you don’t have bloc chocolate.

Time to cream the butter and sugars!

Light and fluffy!

I am kinda obsessed with egg shots :)

Vanilla :)

Reed helping with the dry ingredients.

I grabbed these flat marshmallows from Reed’s pantry, but any marshmallows will do.  Mini or large ones cut up.

Chop those cherry sticks up :)

Chocolate chunk time!

The dough…was….to…die…for :)

We did a couple batches of giant cookies, and a few smaller cookies.  Use whatever cookie scoop you like.

How pretty are those cherry bits sticking out?  Love!

I pressed each cookie down about 1/2 inch so they’d spread nicely.

Reed eating cookie dough…missed his mouth apparently :)  Let’s get those cookies into the oven.

Gorgeous right?!  Ok, major tip here.  when you pull these directly out of the oven, some of the marshmallows ooze out from the cookies.  Quickly take a plastic knife and scrape the oozed marshmallow back around the cookie it oozed from.  It sets up perfectly that way.  This picture is shot after I scraped the oozing marshmallows back to where they oozed.  Make sense?  Ok, good.

So pretty!  I love the texture the melted marshmallow brings and the sweet bits of cherry stick.  These are a real treat.  Don’t forget, any fruit stick flavor will be great if you can’t seem to find the cherry ones.

I wish I would have taken a full photo of the adorable kids picnic table I shot my cookies on.  My crazy talented sister in law Kacie Flake made it for Reed and his wife Lori for Christmas.  Love!

Enjoy!

Cherry, Chocolate Chunk and Marshmallow Cookies

2 sticks softened unsalted butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

30-40 cherry sticks, shopped

2 cups chocolate chunks

80 mini marshmallows or 20 flat marshmallows quartered

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.

2. Place butter and sugars in a stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, light and fluffy…about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla beating until well combined. Slowly add dry ingredients along with cherry sticks, chocolate chunks and marsmallows. Mix until just combined.

3. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes, until baked to your liking. As soon as cookie comes out of oven, use a plastic knife to push melted marshmallow back around cookie. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Serve and enjoy!

_______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon!

Comments

Jenny these look awesome! I love choc covered cherry anything…and the marshmallows in them. Wow…

I made cookies with chocolate-covered strawberry cookies recently and anyone who’s looking for choc-covered dried fruit should try TJ’s if they have one in their area.

I just broke in my whoopie pie pan making cookies in it and thought of you. Except I think I overfilled the cavities and had an almost cookie explosion. lol

Kathryn says:

I love the little burst of cherry flavour in these cookies, what an excellent idea!

These cookies look absolutely amazing. This is such a great idea. I can’t wait to try these soon!

Priyanka says:

The rustic look of the cookies is amazing. Lovely pictures but loved the egg shot….so well timed :)

Oh my gosh, those cherry sticks look incredible! My mom’s kitchen is the same way… never know what you’re going to find :) Makes for fun, random baking!

LOVE how your cookies are absolutely LOADED with goodies…please send some ASAP! :)

HOLY MOLY, those cookies! The combo of textures in that cookie – wow, just wow.

Oh my goodness! I have got to find some of those cherry sticks! They look so delicious and in these cookies? Wow!

I’ve been loving cherry cookies lately, too. My husband just can’t get enough of them!

Deborah says:

I love this – and what a fun father-in-law!! I’d love to see what you could come up with out of my pantry. :)

These look divine!

Oh these look absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try these. I love your concoctions!

Oh My, those cherry sticks are my favorite!! I’ll have to try these cookies just because of them :)

Yum! I love Trader Joes orange sticks, never thought to put them in a cookie. Delish idea!

These cookies look delicious. And, I so love that you made them with your father-in-law. How fun!

Jocelyn says:

These cookies are amazing!!! I love how you will add just about anything to cookies!! And the white picnic table background…so perfect!!!!

I LOVE pantry cookies, and these look perfect!! I think I need to visit Grawpa Reed!!

Jessica says:

Love these! Such a fun burst of color!

leslie says:

Ohhh I have never seen those cherry sticks before!!! Looks like another amazing cookie Jenny!

Anna says:

These look so good that I went right out and tried to find the sticks. So far I found Raspberry and Orange!! I think either one will be just as delicious!! Can’t wait to make them!!

these cookies have all of my favorite things in them. There is no better combo than cherries + chocolate. And marshamallows?! I’m in LOVE!

jenna says:

you are the cookie queen!

Sandra says:

How cool to have a Reed in your kitchen!0

jennifer says:

Aww i sure miss Reed & all the Flake’s! Looks so yummy!

You can make anything into a cookie! Love these :)

These are gorgeous. I know it sounds silly, but when I saw the picture I felt that these kind of look like ‘girl’ cookies:))Don’t ask me why:)

YUM! I’m not a big fan of those gelatinous cherry (or whatever flavor) sticks but this combo sounds so great – I’ll have to grab a bag of dried cherries when I hit Costco later today! Thanks for the recipe.

My kids would LOVE these! Thanks, great recipe :)

What a great helper! I love my father-in-law too :) These cookies looks truly yummy! Such an inventive recipe!

These are just gorgeous, and I totally love it when people have guests help them in the kitchen. How cute is Reed?

You’ve done it again!! Another fantastic cookie recipe – - and it doesn’t hurt that you had a great helper ;) lol… so cute.

Christina Winters says:

I found you through Pinterest and I love your site! Scanned the comments and didn’t see anyone ask, but where are those gorgeous mixing bowls and plates from? So pretty!

christine says:

just made these! they are cooling. I had to work with what i had so used TJ chocolate covered cherries cut in half, about 1/2 a cup of dried cherries and then the marshmallow and chocolate. I used slightly less chocolate due to the amount that was on the cherries verses the sticks. Smell so good! Thx again for feeding my cookies obsession.

Those cookies are looking really good!

Jennie W says:

Just loved these cookies! I did use dried cherries in place of the cherry sticks (couldn’t find them), but really liked how that worked out anyway!

[...] her father-in-law’s pantry. Stuffed with chocolate and marshmallows, the real highlight of these Cherry, Chocolate Chunk, and Marshmallow Cookies are the cherry sticks that found their way into these exquisitely distinctive cookies. Jenny tells [...]

Jennie W says:

Thanks so much – we LOVED these. I sent some to my friend overseas with the Marines and she (and her unit) ADORED them as well!

Francesca says:

I’d not come across your Blog until now, but these cookies certainly will be making an appearance in my kitchen very soon. I haven’t seen cherry sticks before but I am sure they would add a nice edition. Thank you for your wonderful tutorial and for kindly sharing your recipe. Can I please ask, roughly how many cookies does this yield? – I know you said you made some large and some smaller ones, but roughly how many cookies can I expect to make? Thank you again Jenny. It’s lovely to ‘meet’ you.