Feb
2012

Slow Cooked Chicken Enchilada Chili over Rice

Tags: , , , , , ,

Dinner

Remember how I said I break out my crock pot in phases?  Well, I am a little addicted at the moment, so bring on the crock pot dinners!

It really is kinda thrilling to throw in frozen chicken breast and a few other ingredients to come home and find a fabulous meal at the end of the day.  Why don’t I use my crock pot more often?  Not sure.  But I love it right now :)

I combined a few of my favorite flavors…..chili and enchilada.  Think mexi-chili.  This is a great weeknight or anytime meal that literally takes a few minutes to get into the crock pot.  Hope you enjoy!

Here is what I used for my enchilada chili.  Use your favorite red enchilada sauce brand.  I have recently found Frontera Brand that I really enjoy.  I have a killer homemade red enchilada sauce coming in my cookbook too!  Can’t wait to share it with you :)

Add some corn.

Add a can of Rotel Mild diced tomatoes.

Add a can of drained black beans or your favorite bean.

Add one cup enchilada sauce.

That’s about it.  Easy right?

Grab a spoon and mix ingredients gently and cover the lid.  Cook on high for 4-5 hours.  Steam some rice and get ready to enjoy!

Slow Cooked Chicken Enchilada Chili Over Rice

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

One 15 ounce can corn, drained

One 15 ounce can black beans, drained

One 10 ounce can Rotel Mild diced tomatoes

8 ounces (1 Cup) red enchilada sauce

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

1 Cup chicken broth (optional)

Cooked Steamed Rice

1. Place all ingredients into crock pot on high heat. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, until chicken shreds easily with a fork. Shred both breasts into bite size pieces and spoon over cooked rice. I add about 1 cup chicken broth to the chili to make it a bit saucier. Totally optional.

Makes 8 servings

____________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon!

Comments

I havent used my crockpot in so long, I’m using the interior of it to hold my cookie cutters and growing sprinkles collection. Lol

What you made looks great and the ease of the crockpot is wonderful…so maybe I should dust mine off :)

i’m obsessed with crockpot cooking lately…this sounds amazing!

I love anything served over rice – this looks great!

slow cooker meals are the BEST.

I’m really enjoying your slow cooked/crock pot recipes! We really enjoy tex-mex inspired food in our home. I’m saving this recipe!

Joss says:

amen to the crock pot!! :D Love this!

Lauren says:

Easy and delicious!! :) Love it! Happy birthday to your husband too!!

I really need to bust out our slow cooker!

I’ve never seen enchilada sauce in a packet before like that- totally great idea since the other stuff tastes like the can! Love this simple slow cooker recipe!

Sounds so good!!! I’m going through a crockpot “phase” at the moment too and just made some Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese in mine. So good! Will have to try this recipe too before the “phase” is over! :)

Cassie says:

There is EVERYTHING to love about this. Can’t wait to try!

Bev Weidner says:

This is so made for my mouth, stomach AND soul.

Looks delicious! I love enchilada chili, this is a great version!

Patty says:

Yum! This looks so easy and delish! I just love how crockpots make meals so much easier.

Angie S. says:

I got crazy one night and added a brick of cream cheese for the last hour or so. Yummmm.

Leigh Ann says:

I have the hardest time cooking chicken breasts in the crock pot…anything over 3 hours on low and they start drying out, and since I work during the day, a 3 hour cook time makes no sense for me. I think part of the problem is that I have a big 6 quart crock pot and I’m not filling it full enough, so it ends up cooking faster, but I’ve never tried throwing the chicken breasts in there frozen.

A few of my husbands favorite flavors, I have got to make it for him. It just looks amazing and I bet your kitchen smelled awesome! Thanks for the recipe, I pinned :)

Such a fabulous & healthy meal for the family!! We need this asap!

This looks like a great new recipe to try..i love my crock pot, and there’s always room for a new mexican dish! Thank you! :)

LC says:

Sounds delicious!! Is this very spicy??

Whoa Jenny! This sounds to die for! A dish the whole family would love!

So comforting! I love mexican meals on a busy night. And I need a slow cooker, pronto!!!

Erin says:

I love slow cooker recipes that don’t require any preparation of the meat ahead of time. Got to try this!

Genelle Pretty says:

I am making this for dinner tonight…my husband specifically requested it! Thank you for all your hard work and inspiration. :)

Kat D.R. says:

I made this yesterday, and it was awesome. This will definitely enter the dinner rotation!

Julie says:

Made this last night and it is VERY flavorful! It was my first time putting frozen chicken in a crock pot, so that was cool. I served mine over spanish rice and the 6 year old liked it (drinking lots of water and commenting her mouth was on fire, but still eating it), but the 4 year old only ate the rice. Thanks for a great recipe!

Ann Lucas says:

Loved this recipe! Sooooo easy and tastes soo good. I did add one packet of chicken/tomato boullion and a 1/4c sour cream which made it even creamier! Bring ont he crock pot recipes!!!!!

Kelsey says:

Made this recently, and it was sooo good! And so easy! I used fresh chicken breasts, and cut down the slow cooker time by an hour or so. I also added some taco seasoning in there, doubled the amount of diced tomatoes, and added a bit of sour cream for the last 10 minutes.

We served this with some shredded cheese on top. My husband has already requested we add this to the rotation! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Noreen says:

ang hirap naman sa mga pinoy mahilig mag compare at sa ina pa kinompara… sana naman maging masaya tayo sa kung anumang mga nakikita ninyo wag na pong mamintas. Peace..mahal na mahal ko yang mag ina? na yan, lumobo man silang pareho ay pareho pa rin silang may magandang kalooban sa mundong ating kinatatayuan.. magbago ng katawan ng tao basta wag lang magbago ugali…….. visit http://goo.gl/HNBgn to watch pinoy tv shows

melanie says:

I have this cooking right now….can’t wait to try it!!

Betsy R says:

I tried this last night and was very happy with the results! I did use bone in chicken breasts since that is what I had on hand. I followed Kelsey’s suggestions from the comments and added about 1/2 a cup of sour cream right at the end. I also added a tsp of cumin since I love that flavor. My husband loved the flavor and our friends we were having dinner with really liked it too. Thanks again Jenny for a flavorful EASY meal!

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]

Christen says:

Hi Jenny!! where did you get the silverware (fork) that is in the first photo!!!!??