Jun
2012

Perfect Cinnamon Rolls…according to Picky Palate :)

Tags: , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Perfect is a bold thing to say isn’t it? That is why I also added….according to Picky Palate, lol! I think everyone has their own idea of what makes a perfect cinnamon roll. For me….I like the rolls soft with LOTS of buttery cinnamon and sugar swirled throughout. There’s nothing worse than anticipating that first bite of a cinnamon roll and it’s dry and bread-like with minimal cinnamon goodness right?

So, there you have it, I call these my perfect rolls because my dough is amazingly soft with gobs and gobs of butter/cinnamon/sugar swirled and as you can see I kinda like a touch of cream cheese frosting on top. If this sounds like the kind of cinnamon roll you like as well……you might want to make these :)

Here is most of the ingredients for your line-up! Simple pantry items.

Had my little stinker helping along with my sweet niece June from AZ. These two were so funny!

Start by letting your yeast double with some warm water and sugar. Patience Patience :)

Once it’s doubled, add your warm milk and melted butter to the bowl.

Add the sugar.

….add the egg and mix with the dough hook attachment until nice and combined.

Time to add the dry ingredients. Exciting as you can see, lol!

Very important to scrape your edges as you keep adding flour.

Let the dough kneed for 7 minutes, tell some jokes to pass the time.

Alright, dough is ready, let’s get it into a large bowl.

Let your dough rise until it’s doubled, close to an hour.

My favorite part. After it’s doubled, give it a good punch.

Flour your counter top nicely.

Transfer your dough to the floured counter top and dust with flour as well as your hands.

Break out your favorite rolling pin and get rolling. Don’t forget to dust it with flour too.

You are going for a large rectangle shape.

Like so! Should be approximately 19 inches wide.

…and about 14 inches long.

Butter time! Get those fingers greasy baby.

Isn’t that beautiful?!

Mix up your cinnamon and sugars.

Sprinkle generously over the buttered dough.

Time to roll it all up. Start with your wide end.

There we go! Looks like a long caterpillar according to my boys :)

There are a few ways to go about slicing your rolls, but my favorite is using some good ol’ dental floss. Makes a perfect clean cut without smashing the rolls. Give it a try!

Pretty right?!

Keep slicing them until you reach the end. I do about 1 1/2 inch slices.

I like to butter my pan and sprinkle it with brown sugar. Makes for a sweet buttery bottom.

Line them all up, nice and close to each other giving a little room in between for rising.

I place my rolls into a barely warm oven to rise. Usually cuts down 15 minutes :) Plan on about 40-45 minutes to rise.

Perfect! Now pre-heat your oven and get ready to bake!

Bake until nice and golden.

Whip up a simple cream cheese frosting.

Spread that fabulous frosting over your warm rolls and watch it melt into the swirls.

Here you have my perfect cinnamon rolls.

So excited for you to try them!

Get into my belly.

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Dig right into the middle.

Perfect Cinnamon Rolls…according to Picky Palate

1 1/2 tablespoons Active Dry Yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/2 cup warm water 115 degrees F.

8 tablespoons (1stick) unsalted melted butter

3/4 cup warmed whole milk or heavy cream 115 degrees F.

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg

4 cups Gold Medal all purpose flour plus more for dusting counters

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Cinnamon/Sugar Layer

8 tablespoons (1stick) unsalted softened butter

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 tablespoons ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter (for buttering pan)

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (for sprinkling over buttered pan)

Frosting

8 ounces softened cream cheese

8 tablespoons (1 stick) softened unsalted butter

2-3 cups powdered sugar

1. Place yeast and sugar into stand mixer then add warm water and gently stir. Let sit until yeast has doubled, about 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix melted butter and warm milk. Add butter and milk mixture to yeast mixture with the dough hook attachment on low speed then add sugar and egg mixing until combined. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add 2 cups of flour mixture to the mixer at a time scraping sides of bowl, continuing to add remaining flour until the dough starts to clean sides of mixing bowl. Kneed dough on low speed for 7 minutes. Place dough onto a floured counter and kneed dough until it does not stick to your hands. Place dough into a large bowl that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a barely warm oven for 45-60 minutes, until dough doubles in size.

2. Remove dough from bowl and place onto a floured counter top. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough into an approximate 14×19 inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch in thickness. Spread softened butter over entire surface of dough. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over buttered dough. Starting at long end of dough, carefully roll into a log shape. Using dental floss or knife, cut rolls into 1 1/2 inch pieces.

3. Take 4 tablespoons softened butter and spread over 13×17 inch jelly roll pan lined with a silpat liner or parchment paper then sprinkle with brown sugar. Place 4 rolls per row close to each other, about 1/2 inch apart. Place into a barely warm oven (turn oven to warm for 5 minutes, then turn off right before placing rolls in oven to let rise) for 45-60 minutes or until rolls have doubled in size. Remove rolls from oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake rolls for 15-17 minutes or until rolls are golden brown and baked through. Set aside to cool slightly.

4. Place cream cheese and butter into your clean stand mixer bowl and beat until smooth and combined. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved. I prefer 2-3 cups. Spread cream cheese frosting over warm rolls. Serve warm or let cool and enjoy room temperature. If serving the next day refrigerate then warm in the microwave individual rolls for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.

Makes about 18 rolls

Comments

Thanks for all the step by step pictures, Jenny. You made perfection look easy & attainable…marvelous! I love cinn rolls!

Those actually look insanely delicious. And I love your dental floss idea, I never would have thought of that!

Oh boy…I am VERY much in love with these!

These look amazing! I really need to get over my fear of yeast :)

Want. These. Now. Do you deliver? I’d also like your little stinker to come over and make those sweet goofy faces in MY kitchen! ;)

PErfect according to me, too!

Your son cracks me up! And as long as you are delivering to Bridget would you mind swinging by? I’ll take 4. I tip well. :)

Wish I had one pr two for breakfast!

Caley says:

Oh my gosh, those are the most gorgeous cinnamon rolls ever!

Deborah says:

Now I have a serious craving for cinnamon rolls!! And I love how you put brown sugar on the bottom – great idea!

jenna says:

mmm these look sinfully good! your son and niece look alike! :) adorable!

Cheri says:

These look amazing – craving cinnamon rolls now!

Kristen says:

Looks almost like our recipe except I add dry French Vanilla pudding to the dough.
    Yours are so beautiful! Now I’m craving cinnamon rolls something fierce!

You KNOW I started eating healthy and working out consistently today, right?

Is it awful that I already want something else…with cream cheese frosting melted in?

YUM!

katie says:

my mouth is watering… this sounds amazing! I need to give these a try even though I’m deathly afraid of working with yeast.

Seriously!?! WOW! Just jusding from the pictures – these do look like thay are the very best ever!! Your little helpers are so sweet! I ahve only just started using yeast ( I have always avoided it cuz the rising time has always put me off!) but i will certainly give these a try – I know my husband will probably give you some sort of award for these!

yep, i’d say these are perfect! and i totally do the dental floss trick too – works every time :)

love these! My mouth is now watering

Judy Kaiser says:

Question: can you use your bread machine up to the first rise?

teresa says:

Love how you just roll this right our on your counter.
    Love how BRIGHT your kitchen is!
    LOVE cinnamon rolls!
    I’ll have to try this!
    Can’t wait for the cookbook Jenny!
    Miss you girls in Seattle!
    xo

Robin Chesser says:

Cannot wait to make these!!!

My mouth is watering! Gooey, cinnamon-y, cream cheese goodness right there!

Ohhh, these DO look perfect :) I love your tip about the dental floss, I’ll be sure to try that out.

Yum, those do look pretty perfect!

Nina says:

All I can say is WOW! (And I have got to get one of those mixers. It’s going on my Christmas list.)

Stephanie says:

And now I’m craving Cinnamon Rolls.. Great idea with the dental floss!

Perfect IS the only way to describe what’s in that pan. I so want to eat these.

Lanie says:

Amazing Photography too! :) I looked around for you in Seattle and you were no where to be found! I had a really great time and learned a lot, hope you did too!

love that tip for cutting them! they look perfect to me :)

stacey says:

you make them look so simple!!! but i have made them before, so i am on to you! ;)

Dental floss to cut the cinnamon rolls?? Genius! These look incredible, and I love the step-by-step instructions.

Cassie says:

I could eat cinnamon rolls every day if my waistline allowed. LOVE this recipe, Jenny!

Rachelle says:

YUM, I love cinnamon rolls! I usually just slice them using my pastry scraper. Let me ask, does that spatula loose it’s end? Does it come off? Looking for ones that don’t, I hate scraping a cookie dough bowl or thick frosting and it comes off. lol

deb in sc says:

your recipe keeps saying 8 tablespoons of butter, but you are labeling that as 1/2 a stick….I think 8 tbsp of butter is a whole stick?

These look delicious. I’ll have to try this recipe.

Tricia says:

YUUUUUMMMMY!!!

Alyssa says:

Looks exactly how I like cinnamon rolls…nice & gooey!

Jessica says:

Your cinnamon rolls look perfect to me! YUM!

Alanna says:

Wait– is it 8 tbs of butter each time? Or half a stick? Isn’t a full stick 8 tbs? I’m so confused…

Julie says:

I’m having major Kitchenaid envy right now. L-O-V-E your pink mixer. And the cinnamon rolls look amazing too!

andrea says:

the only issue i have with this recipe is that you have it marked down as 1/2 stick of butter or 8 tablespoons.
    8 tablespoons of butter is 1 full stick.
    which one is the proper amount?
    thank you!

Rachel H. says:

You have some great looking counter tops. I have white tile like that and I can’t seem to keep them clean enough! How do you clean yours??

You are right, these are perfect! I am certainly craving one of these warm cinnamon rolls right now! :)

Sarah says:

Can these be made the night before and baked the next morning? Any suggestion how to go about it?

Dianna Belle says:

wow these look great!

Have you ever seen or made a recipe for cinnamon rolls where it calls for; condensed milk poured over the top and the rising of the rolls is overnight in the refrigerator? I cannot find this recipe anywhere, but remember that they were awesome moist and had that little crisp edge to them.. But I was a kid, and now I am an old fart.. so maybe my memory is bad…

Amanda says:

These are absolutely gorgeous girl!! I love all your photos, and I wish I had one of these on my flight right now!! :) xoxo

Madeleine says:

Wow, they look delicious! And I L-O-V-E the your stand mixer! What a pretty color!

april says:

Jenny those look AMAZING!!! I bet they are the perfect cinnamon rolls!!! I will have to give these a shot. I love that you get the kids involved–learning while having fun, right?

Im on WW and my weigh in is on Wednesday morning so by the afternoon I think I will be eating 2 of these delicious looking cinnamon rolls!!! I’m so drooling

Wowsers, those do look perfect! I bet the kiddos think so too!