Jun
2012

Pancakes and Bacon Cake Slices with Maple Buttercream

Tags: ,

Desserts

Hope everyone had a beautiful Father’s Day weekend!!  I was so lucky to spend all last week with my Mom, Dad and little brother while they were visiting us in CA.  Miss them already.

This is such a funky recipe, I love it to pieces.  In Seattle a couple weeks ago I had a cupcake called Pancakes and Bacon.  It had these same flavors and what a great combo!  I had to come home and create my own version!

Wait until you sink your teeth into the maple buttercream.  To die for with those bacon chunks on top.

Here’s your line up of ingredients.  Simple!

Let’s start with the cake mix.

Your pudding mix.

4 lovely eggs.  It was so fun having my mom help with this recipe.  Two sets of hands make a world of difference!

Milk and oil.

Sour cream and maple syrup.  Mmmm!

Give her a good mix!

Crisp up some bacon.  I use the pre-cooked strips.  Quick and easy.

Add your crumbled bacon.

Give her another mix!

Time to pour into your loaf pans.

Spread evenly and time to bake!

While your cakes are baking, prepare your frosting.  A very simple maple buttercream.

Divide over both cooled cakes, take a lick.  It’s to die for!

Spread your maple buttercream evenly over top.

Here’s the fun part, top with crumbled bacon :)

Slice and enjoy!

Maple-y sweet and salty delicious.

Isn’t it pretty?

12 strips pre-cooked bacon, crumbled

Maple Buttercream

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted softened butter

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

2 3/4 cup powdered sugar

12 strips pre-cooked bacon, crumbled

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray 2 loaf pans with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk, oil, sour cream, and maple syrup into a stand mixer mixing until well combined. Add bacon crumbles mixing until combined. Divide and transfer to prepared loaf pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until baked through. Tops will be deep golden brown, do not be alarmed :)

3. While cake is baking or cooling, prepare frosting. Place butter and syrup into stand mixer, mixing until well combined. Add powdered sugar, beating on low until combined. Frost over cooled cakes and top with crumbled bacon pieces. Slice and enjoy!

Makes 2 loaves, about 24 slices

Comments

Okay I don’t eat bacon but I do eat cake and pancake-cake AND maple buttercream…Jenny this is so creative and I bet just heavenly!

Large Marge says:

Ayy der ayyvereee u be comentin on all da resseepeez and i be lyk woa derr wat u tink u be doin qurl lyk woa der i aint sure what u be doin hur aint lyk no body curres weda u eet baykon or nut.
      dis iz wht jenee should sing too yoo:
      i neww u wuz trubbl when u wohked een so shayme on yoo now
      tayla swift be da queen uh dem ratchet qurls wit her boyfriendzz
      i be stikken up fo ma homeeee jeneee
      da queen bakin qurl kootoes to ya jenee

What an interesting recipe! I loooove bacon and the maple buttercream sounds to die for! I’ve got this recipe saved for a special day :)

open kitchen magazine says:

“Here for you the sixth issue of Open Kitchen Magazine, our on line food magazine.
    Browse it for free:

we are waiting for you!
    Don’t forget that you can also become part of our international team in the next issue.
    Open Kitchen Magazine Team “

Holy moly – everything I love about breakfast in one delicious dish! This looks amazing, Jenny! :)

Wow, I have always been a fan of combining sweet and savoury. I just love bacon with my french toast and drenched in syrup or honey of course! This recipe looks delish!!

I have never mixed bacon with anything sweet before, i am still plucking up the nerve to give it a whirl before I would make it at home – but I would like to try one day! I love your mixer!

Sweet and salty…that’s exactly the way I like my desserts. It looks as though you did justice to that cupcake!

Lauren says:

I tried that bacon cupcake from yellow leaf too! I think yours would taste better…

OH
    MY
    GOSH.

ridiculous in the absolute best way possible!

I bet this is amazing! Kinda similar to that cupcake from The Yellow Leaf that we tried…I can only imagine how delicious that maple buttercream is!

So *that’s* what you were doing with that maple buttercream! ;) I remember seeing that cupcake at Yellow Leaf and wanting to try it, but the Salted Caramel won out. Now I’ll just make your cake!!!

Angie says:

Genius! I’m trying to decide how many slices I’d eat before I could bring myself to stop :)

Jeannie Hertz says:

Ok… you call for loaf pans in this recipe. I need a definition by size. Is it a 9×5 or an 8×4? This so confuses me. Is a loaf pan a standard size?

I love integrating savory ingredients into sweet recipes! Looks divine.

Jennifer says:

I have been nervous to try something that is sweet with bacon even though it is definitely the trend – but this one actually looks great! I just got a kitchen-aid mixer at my wedding shower last week and have been trying to use it whenever I can so this looks like it will be on the menu for the week! :)

Stephanie says:

It sure is pretty! I once had bacon popcorn, bacon soda, bacon vodka, and bacon chapstick. NONE of them any good. Hesitant to try this now..

Special K says:

WOW!! I am SO making that this weekend!!! Thanks for the great recipes!! I also have to add, your photos are SPECTACULAR!!! Glad I “Stumbled” on to your site!

Amanda says:

Gorgeous cake, Jenny!! I would love to sink my teeth into that loaf for breakfast, lol!! :)

This maple buttercream sounds awesome. I’m a little scared of the bacon mixed in ha ha. But it seriously looks delicious.

My favorite breakfast foods get together a bake a cake? Insanity.

Kandace says:

WOW!!!! Thank you for this recipe, I’m totally making this today.

I love how bacon is becoming a dessert condiment, it’s so funny! But, I’m not complaining, it really is delicious. Great job on this, I need to memorize how you alter the cake mix, it must save so much time!

My, my, my! This looks absolutely amazing! I think I could eat a few pieces of this for breakfast…or lunch…or dinner!

teresa says:

Jenny!
    These are beyond amazing!
    Your kitchen is so BRIGHT!
    Must be that CALIFORNIA sun!
    I need to paint my nails pretty like yours for FOOD pictures!
    xo

Jenny, these cake slices look out of this world! Breakfast all in one yummy slice of cake/bread. I love all of the recent bacon/dessert recipes I’ve been seeing. My boyfriend is eagerly waiting for me to make one myself!

OK, my brain just fell out of my head and onto the floor after reading about this bread. I picked it up, dusted it off, and plan to use it to astonish and amaze my family with some Pancakes & Bacon Bread later in the week. Thank you so much, Jenny, for such a lovely and creative recipe!!

Alyssa says:

Bacon in cake?! I’m sold!

holy cow. HOLY COW! those look outrageously delicious! thanks for sharing!

Oh my stars alive, is this the best looking cake I’ve seen in a while or what? I need a slice or two about right now!

I love how creative you are! You always come up with the most fun recipes!!!! :)

um, WOW, JENNY!! these look so good!!! salty sweet and BACONY!! i love it

Sage says:

My husband and I went to Babycakes here in SD a few weeks ago on our anniversary, and he had the “Breakfast in Bed” cupcake (I also sampled some of his of course). ;) It was great, and he has been raving about it ever since. He says it was a “man’s cupcake” because of the addition of bacon. He’s going to be in Heaven when I show him this recipe…. and *maybe* if I’m feeling nice I’ll make it for him. We’ve never been disappointed by a recipe of yours, and I’ve made plenty!! :)

This is so creative! What a great combination of sweet and salty. I am so intrigued that I must try this soon!

Terry says:

I have been unsure about adding bacon to some dessert dishes I have seen. But, pardon the pun, this recipe really does take the cake!! Your photos of this pancake & bacon cake looks absolutely amazing!!! I really can’t wait to try out this recipe!! It looks so good!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Lynna H. says:

this recipe sounds so interesting! :) it`s like a breakfast bread!

You had me at “bacon cake”.

Chels R. says:

Who wouldn’t want a slice of this??

This looks so delicious and decadent! Definitely a way to please my husband’s love of savory breakfasts and my love of sweet!

When I first saw the photo of the finished product and read the title of the recipe, I thought: “She’s got to be kidding!” Now that I’ve read the details, I’m thinking: “She may be a genius replicating this dish!”

Keep writing…

This looks like sweet & salty perfection….I think I just died and went to heaven!

marla says:

The PINK mixer and the cake ~ LOVE it all!!

Ceri says:

You’ve done it again! I love you Jenny of Picky-Palate. I made this for my department this morning and of 27 people, no one was disappointed. I loved going to bed with the smell of bacon and waking up to put the finishing touches on it (again, more bacon aroma). It was divine!

karen says:

Could you make these as cupcakes?

[...] Pancakes and Bacon Cake Slices with Maple Buttercream from Picky Palate Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon from Noble Pig Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Candied Bacon from Elle’s New England Kitchen Dulce de Bacon Milkshake from Adventures in Cooking Chocolate Covered Bacon from The Girl Who Ate Everything [...]

Debbie says:

This sounds like haven! Can not wait to try it!! Thinking of trying turkey bacon since I really dont eat pork or beef. Anyone tried else tried with turkey bacon?? Thanks Jenny!!

Stella says:

My boyfriend is an absolute bacon fanatic and this is the cake I’m going to be making for his birthday next month! Thank you so much for the recipe.