Nov
2012

Giant Salted Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Tags: , , , ,

Cookies

I have been trying to perfect what I think is the best pumpkin cookie for a while now and by golly I think I’ve done it :)  Now, don’t get me wrong I love the puffy pumpkin cookie, but I wanted something a little more chocolate chip cookie-ish.  A little more buttery crisp than fluffy pillow-y?  Make sense?

This recipe turned out just how I wanted it to…and I made them giant size which is always more fun.  I also added some fleur de sel salt to the tops which is fabulous to me, however if salted cookies are not your thing then by all means leave it off.  They are great either way.

Let’s take a look at how these babies are made :)

Here’s your line-up.  Nothing too crazy.

Had my sweet boys helping in the kitchen for these cookies :)  Cream your butter and sugars.

Add your pumpkin and molasses.

Take a break and crack up with your brother.

Add an egg.

A little vanilla.

Add your dry ingredients.

Either cracking up at each other or fighting like crazy animals, lol!  I prefer this :)

…and this :)

Chocolate chunks please!

This dough is a dream.  No joke!

I used a giant cookie scoop.  It holds a good 1/4 cup.  You can make these cookies as big or small as you’d like.

Press your dough down like so.

I prefer this fabulous fleur de sel sea salt, but use any regular course salt or leave it out altogether.

I LOVE the touch of salt on these cookies.  Give it a try!

Love these giant cookies :)

Giant Salted Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Giant Salted Pumpkin Molasses Chocolate Chunk Cookies 1 text Ingredients

• 1 stick/8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • one 10 ounce bag chocolate chunks or 2 cups
  • A few pinches Fleur de sel salt or sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. Place butter and sugars into stand mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add molasses, pumpkin, egg and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add flour, salt and baking soda, mixing to combine then add in chocolate chunks. Using a large scoop (I used my ice cream scoop, holds about 1/4 cup) scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten cookies with hands then sprinkle lightly with salt if desired.
  3. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until baked through. Please keep in mind if you bake smaller cookies cooking time will be much less. Bake accordingly to size. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to cooling rack.

Makes 6 Large cookies

This post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but opinions are my own. Check out my Farm to Table Event in Kansas City with Gold Medal Flour. We just added a new video from our trip. Check it out!

Comments

“I have been trying to perfect what I think is the best pumpkin cookie for a while now and by golly I think I’ve done it” <— YES, you DID do it!

They look amazing! About 2 months ago, I must have made about 10 batches of pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies in an effort to nail it. Where was this post when I was trying :) Seriously, they look soooo good and I think the giant cookie size helps with the sticky/tacky pumpkin batter situation. I should have done that :)

Love just how giant these are!

Breanna S says:

This is probably the most yummy recipe I have seen this season. I can’t wait to give it a try. I am all for anything with pumpkin.

Deirdre says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I adore your blog and have been a loyal fan for about 2 years. Congratulations on the success of your cookbook and your beautiful family. XO

SHeila says:

Visiting from Pioneer Womans website to say cangrats for the cookbook and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I cooked and baked 2 recipes from your book yesterday and we were SO happy in the house! So, I decided I trust you no matter what. :)
    Enjoy your day!

Buttery crispy sounds PERFECT this morning. Love your two silly kiddos in the kitchen…can’t wait for the baby sidekick to join in!!

Katie says:

Happy Birthday! I have also been looking for a pumpkin cookies that is not quite so fluffy and soft, I cant wait to try these!

what a great way to bake this amazing cookies with two little boys. I loved the idea of adding sea salt- i love the combo of chocolate with sea salt :)

I love when you make giant cookies! Happy Birthday!!!

i think i’d make these the size of my face – mmmmmmmm :)

Stephanie says:

So glad to see more of a traditional cookie using this combo. I’m not a fan of cake-y cookies so, finally, I can enjoy baking, but more importantly, eating, a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie.

Amanda says:

These looks gorgeous!! Love those photos are your boys, they are too cute! Happy Birthday!!! :) xoxox

danielle says:

I have nit tried molasses in pumpkin cookies. I will have to. I’ve got a recipe from a friend that reminds me of a pumpkin-y toll houseish cookie, but buttery sounds good to me.

Cynthia says:

I’m such a lousy commenter but wanted to wish you a Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

Emily Childers says:

What kind of a cookie sheet is that or liner? Does it really work good, better than parchment paper?

Cookies look wonderful

Yum! I love pumpkin and chocolate together. I wonder how sorghum syrup might work in lieu of molasses (for a touch of Southern). Will definitely have to try! Thanks for sharing!

Well,I know this is amazing…cuz ALL your cookie recipes are amazing! I loved those no bake chocolate cookie dough ones you have on your site….

Heather H. says:

Happy Birthday!!!

Sarah says:

I just made these and the flavor is great. Mine were still cake like and fluffy though– what did I do wrong?? Looking for something more chewy. I did make them smaller than the giant size.

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies remind me of my grandfather – he would love these (and so would my mom)!
    oh and Happy Birthday!

Abby says:

Can we have salted everything, please! These look like something out of a dream in my book.

Megan says:

These look delicious! I just spent my lunch hour reading over your cookbook. It has lots of great ideas, and I can’t wait to try many of the recipes. Thanks so much for sharing this one too! Megan

Molasses is a brilliant ingredient in these. I bet they are so perfectly rich. Love all that salt too! Happy birthday, Jenny!

I love cookies as big as my hand! :) I always wonder how to get pumpkin cookies a little chewier, too–this molasses is a wonderful idea. Happy Birthday, too!

Thesha says:

Happy Birthday! These cookies look delicious!

So pretty! I love pumpkin for the holidays :) Perfect cookies Jenny. And Happy Birthday!!!

Wow. These look incredible!

Mmm! This looks amazing as always! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing so many yummy recipes with us!

Julia says:

Oh my gosh these look good! I love pumpkin cookies and can’t wait to try yours.

Kimberli says:

Happy Birthday to you!! I have to say, I’m leery of the pumpkin and chocolate combo but these cookies look insanely delicious, so I’m going to trust you and try them this week! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anne says:

In the giant salted pumpkin chocolate chunk cookie recipe, the first ingredient is the unsalted butter, followed by salted; should this read softened?

Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Anne

I also think I prefer this type of pumpkin cookie over the cakey ones. I gotta get me some Silpats…You pic just reminded me…

LARicky says:

Happy Be-Lated Birthday!

Thanks for this!

I couldn’t resist last night. I have my usual crew coming over for our weekly TV-watching night tonight and decided that these would be a perfect treat to have on hand! (Plus, my house was cold and I wanted an excuse to turn the oven on, lol!). I had so much fun baking these last night and they turned out great!! I made a double-batch and made them smaller (so I could bring them in to work today), which gave me 36 cookies! I also added pumpkin pie spice to give them that pumpkin-pie-taste. Everyone at work has been devouring them! A yummy success!

Jenny! Pumpkin, salted, chocolate chunks, giant in size – these cookies have it ALL! I swore I was done baking pumpkin cookies this month but I have to try something like this! :)

Happy (be-lated) birthday Jenny! Your boys are too stinkin’ cute! And this recipe looks perfect!

Heavens this sounds and looks amazing. Cant wait to try. I too have been looking for a pumpkin cookie that is less fluffy! Thanks so much!

[...] Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies-Adapted from Picky Palate [...]

Betsy says:

These look amazing! My hubby isn’t a big fan of molasses though. Can you taste it in the cookie? Thanks!

[...] all know that I love pumpkin and chocolate together… add sea salt! [...]

Rita says:

I love pumpkin cookies, but sometimes I’m not in the mood for something soft and cakey! This is just the best of both worlds! YUM-O-RAMA!!!! :)

[...] Recently I realized that its pumpkin pie that I hate, not pumpkin. Bring on the giant salted pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies! [...]

Kathy says:

I loved the flavor of these cookies, but they turned out more cake-like than I expected. I was kind of disappointed. I thought they would turn out more like a chocolate chip cookie.

lex says:

Made these for Thanksgiving and found them disappointing to say the least. I was hoping for a crisp, pumpkin-y cookie dotted with chocolate and what I got was a lackluster CAKEY cookie with no flavor of pumpkin to speak of. We did a number of batches, and even added additional pumpkin towards the end (I know, it’s baking and shouldn’t mess with recipes, but I’m professional chef) but the results were NOT what you’ve pictured in your blog. The kids may be cute, but the recipe needs to reflect the final product more than this one does.

newbaker says:

Very disappointed, taking out the spices and adding salt does not make this a new recipe (found this one on Food Tv’s Site http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/index.html ). I would not recommend this version.

Jayne says:

I really liked the flavour of these but mine came out QUITE cakey.. almost like cupcakes they rose so much even though I flattened them quite a bit. Hrm… :( Oh well, I like them but the boyfriend was a disappointed.

[...] the hubby gets home and tries them we’ll see what he says. Next time I’ll try these Giant Salted Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies from the Picky [...]

[...] since it was back to school time, then its fall recipe time too – and then I came across these Salted Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies on Picky Palate, I knew they would be the recipe to usher in the start of (my) fall season! Salted [...]