Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jan
2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

I go in these crazy crock pot cooking phases where I use it all the time and I am loving it right now.  Last week I whipped up a giant pot of my Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup.  It’s warm, thick and complete comfort food in a bowl.

If you are having guests over, this is a great recipe to have.  It serves 12-16 and makes the best leftovers.  I enjoyed it for lunch for a few days and was happy as a clam :)

You can easily split the recipe if you don’t need to make such a massive amount, but I’ll warn you, it’s incredibly delicious and you’ll want the leftovers.

Let’s take a look at what you’ll need.

Here’s what you’ll need.  Remove one of those chicken broth cartons.  I only used one and the cheese and cilantro are just for garnishing, so you won’t need as much in the picture :)

Dice a large onion.

Cook them in a large skillet over medium heat.

Add some garlic.

Transfer right to a LARGE crock pot.  I’m talking at least a 5 quart.

I used one whole rotisserie chicken for this recipe.  Discard the skin then shred the meat.  It’s about 4 cups if you want to bake your own chicken.

Transfer the chicken pieces to the crock pot.

Add your chicken broth, 32 ounces please.

Pour in two 28 ounce size cans of green enchilada sauce and two 10 ounce size Rotel diced tomatoes.  Make sure both say MILD on the can.

I added two packages of cooked Spanish rice.  It thickened the soup so nicely, I definitely recommend it.  I used the Knorr Brand, but any of your favorite Spanish Rice will do.  If you’d like to make your own, use 4 cups.  I have a great Homemade Spanish Rice recipe HERE if you need one.  Scroll down past the tacos and you’ll see it.

Add a good handful of cumin and 8 ounces of sour cream.  Stir and let cook on low for 4-8 hours.

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup 2t Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, about 4 cups shredded (no skin)
  • 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
  • Two 28 ounce cans mild green enchilada sauce
  • Two 10 ounce cans Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers
  • 4 cups cooked spanish rice (I used 2 packages of Knorr Fiesta Rice)
  • 3 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves for topping
  • 1 bag tortilla chips for topping

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a large 5 quart minimum crock pot with setting on low.
  2. Add shredded chicken to crock pot along with chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, rice, cumin and sour cream. Stir and let cook on low for 4-6 hours

Makes 12-16 Servings

Comments

You always have the best soup recipes. And I bet this soup makes a ton, which is always a good thing. It sounds great!

This soup sounds perfect for a anytime, but especially for serving a crowd!

You have been making some incredible soups lately, and I’m loving it! Thank you!!

Madison says:

YUM! This is a perfect weeknight meal that is simple to put together but so delicious to eat. I am definitely saving this recipe. Thank you!

Kirsten says:

How might you cut this recipe for a mini-crockpot?

I LOVE enchilada soups! This is perfect for anytime and especially the big game coming up!

This is one of my favourite soups! It is so easy and always tasty!

One Crock-Pot full would not be enough!

Looks absolutely delicious! I’m on the hunt for crock pot recipes – saw this on pinterest :)

I love the looks of this!! I may try subbing in Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Thanks for an easy delicious looking recipe.

JulieL says:

I was just thinking the same thing and came to read whether anyone had tried Greek yogurt instead. Hope you see this and report back!

Looks fabulous, my dear! I always love adding slow cooker recipes to the ‘ol “must try” folder!

marla says:

The perfect meal for chilly days!!! Lovely Jenny :)

Kim says:

dumb question – this looks amazing!!! do i have to put in the rice? what could i substitute with? – to make it thicker? maybe some cream of chicken soup? and top with chips and cheese?

What a perfect meal for the weather we’re having! Can’t wait to try!

Morgan says:

Love that this is a slow-cooker recipe! I am always looking for soups I can throw together in the morning and easily enjoy later on.

Perfect for the FREEZING weather we’re having!!

naomi says:

Oh, I am the same way! I’m cray for my crock pot right now. Great recipe, Jenny!

Jeff A says:

I love your site and just about every recipe that you post, but I gotta admit…I feel like there are sometimes just TOO many photos on your posts. I copy/paste the posts into an email message that I can send to myself for later use, and I just wish that there weren’t pictures of EVERY single step sometimes. Just some constructive criticism, I guess :)

Victoria says:

Hey Jeff, Down at the bottom it gives you an option of printing. If you don’t like the photos this might be for you. I hit print and when it pops up I say print as PDF. It then prints just the recipe and I save in my recipe folder.

I just love what you do to me.

I love that this is made in the slow cooker! More time for playing with that house full of boys ;)

Jessica says:

I make a soup every week at the beginning of the week for lunches…and I am so glad you posted this one today! I already have everything to make it, Yay!

We both posted slow cooker recipes today! Can’t wait to try your recipe!

Gaby says:

LOVE this slow cooker idea jenny! I have all the ingredients for this one on hand – Monday night dinner for sure!

Cannot wait to try this one!!

Amy Mak says:

The pictures alone convinced me – thank you! Can’t wait to try this, and I have a rotisserie chicken that wants to be used right this very minute.

This is my kind of soup. I love the flavors and we love rotisserie chicken!

Definitely going on my list of recipes to try – love the slow cooker and this looks like a great soup!

Helene says:

This is a recipe I really need to try, thanks so much that looks delicious!

Sara Jessica says:

Great recipe to try during cold winter times…

have to try this one. Great one for winters.

This is so perfect for the recent blast of cold weather we’re getting in NYC. Will definitely all it to my weeknight menu!

Kim says:

Looks delicious! Wonder if this would freeze well. Has anyone tried?

Katie says:

With the cold we’re having in our area, like many others, this would be perrrrfect!!

Yummy! I love soup and I especially love enchiladas so this is calling my name!

Megan says:

I made this last night – it was perfect for the wind chill advisory weather we’ve been having in New England! I halved the recipe and used regular red enchilada sauce since my grocery store didn’t have green, and it came out great. It had quite a kick to it, so it was great with a little bit of crumbled cornbread mixed in!

Wendy says:

Coming home at the end of a cold winter day to a crock full of this soup would be wonderful! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

Kris says:

I made this on Saturday with company coming over. We all thought it was delicious. We especially loved it the next day. Thanks!

Alexis says:

I just made this and it was absolutely delicious! For all the other penny-pinchers out there: I boiled my own chicken pieces, then shredded it, and used the water as a broth and just added a chicken buillon cube! Fantastic though, big hit at my potluck!

[...] Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup [...]

Donna says:

Looks so delicious! Your photography is amazing!!

Michele says:

Looks so yummy! I am going to try this out next week. It will be more than enough for my family, so I’m wondering, will this freeze well?

Melissa says:

Just made this and it’s delicious!! I usually tweak recipes to our taste but this one is perfect as written! Thanks for an awesome recipe!!

[…] Pesto Ranch Crock Pot Chicken Thighs Creamy Crock Pot Spaghetti Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef Tacos Hearty Roasted Vegetable Beef Stew Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup […]