Feb
2013

Slow Cooker Lemon Honey and Dijon Chicken Dinner

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

It’s so hard for me to show you in pictures how amazing this dinner was and how flavorful it turned out.  The broth and chicken over rice was so delicious.  We ate the leftovers for days!  My boys picked around the green beans, but really enjoyed the chicken and potatoes.

Break out the crock pots again friends, this recipe makes a wonderful Sunday dinner!

Here’s most of the ingredients you’ll need to start the recipe.

I LOVE what the lemon does to the chicken.  Just enough citrus without being overpowering.

The fresh parsley and thyme give such freshness.

Alright, first things first.  Place your chicken breasts and potatoes into your crock pot.

Add your garlic cloves.

Your pretty lemon slices.

A handful of fresh French green beans aka hericot vert.

Add your broth.

Some pretty pearl onions, salt and pepper.  Cover with the lid and let this baby cook slow and low.

Alright, when the chicken is cooked, remove it from the crock pot and shred into bite size pieces.  Put back into the pot.

Add some honey and Dijon mustard please.

Add your parsley, thyme, stir and eat!

Slow Cooker Lemon Honey and Dijon Chicken Dinner

Slow Cooker Lemon Honey and Dijon Chicken Ingredients

• 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 10-15 baby red potatoes
  • 10 cloves fresh peeled garlic
  • 1 lemon thinly sliced, seeds removed
  • 1 large handful fresh haricot verts (French green beans)
  • 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups peeled pearl onions, ends trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves

Directions

1. Turn crock pot to the low setting. Place chicken breasts, potatoes, garlic, lemon, green beans, chicken broth, pearl onions, salt, and pepper into crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or you can choose to cook on high for 3-4 hours. Remove lemon slices and chicken breasts. Discard lemon slices. Shred chicken and place back into crock pot. Stir in honey and Dijon then add parsley and thyme, stirring to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve over rice or by itself.

Makes 6-8 Servings

Comments

Oh Jenny! This looks scrumptious! I know my family would love this recipe.

Jenna says:

I really need to get a slow cooker this looks amazing!

This is my kind of slow cooker meal, Jenny. Love the flavors!

Looks so flavorful and healthy too!

Amanda says:

What a GREAT recipe!!! I love this fantastic way to use chicken!!!

Oh my…this looks delicious and what a clear recipe it is. You have made everything looks so simple to do…I love recipes like this. Your photos are perfect!
    Thank you!

All my heart,
    Deborah xo

Stacy says:

This sounds absolutely lovely! Can’t wait to make it. Going to make a special trip to the store so I can have it today!

yum! i love how easy this is to put together and we are totally channeling each other on the dijon front, today! :)

Nice and easy and full of flavour!

This looks and sounds so amazing! Not to mention I love how it’s ‘hands-free’ after the initial preparation!

Oooo, I love one-pot dinners like this. Looks so good!

naomi says:

Great weeknight meal! Crock pots rule.

Kalyn says:

This looks great Jenny. I’d love to feature this on my slow cooker blog, can you let me know if that’s ok?

Vannessa says:

This looks amazing! I’m going to try it today. Can I use regular onions stead of the pearl onions or is there another substitute?

Love everything about this dish, especially the fact that it can be made in a slow cooker!

Jess says:

This looks so delicious!! I need to make this! :) Pinned for later!

marla says:

Oh yes please!!! Bring on some of this chicken for dinner :)

Great slow cooker recipe!

Maggie says:

Do you just leave the lemon slices in there? Don’t the peels get in the way?

G says:

Do you keep the garlic cloves in the dish or do you remove them when you shred the chicken?

carrian says:

This really does look perfect for Sunday dinner. Love it, Jenny!

Gaby says:

love me some slow cooker chicken!!

Oh this looks heavenly! I am expanding my “slow cooker recipe repertoire” and this is going on the top of my list! Thanks a bunch. Freshly Pinned!

This looks SO tasty, Jenny! I love that you popped the potatoes right in there. Great one-pot meal!

JanetFCTC says:

Chicken is so perfect in the slow cooker and with these add ins, I bet it was phenomenal!

I just made crock-pot chicken for dinner today! This recipe will have to go on my “to try soon” list…one pot meals, greatest idea ever.

nicole says:

huhu, i need to find a slow cocker, have to find out what its called in germany, i only know the pot for speedcooking but not slow cooking :)

i`d really love to try this

greetings from far away ;)
    nic

Since Liam arrived, slow cooker meals have definitely become my saving grace. This looks so delicious and fresh! Just in time for spring! :D

Slow cooker recipes are the best! Another perfect one Jenny! :)

Liz Cullinane says:

Hi Jenny, recipe does look really good. Just wanted to let you know that I saw & purchased your book…in Victoria, BC Canada.

Jeanie says:

It’s all in my crockpot cooking on this snowstorm day….tomorrow the crockpot will have your beef and barley soup cooking….
    Can’t wait to taste!!

I made this yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. I’m not really a fan of Dijon mustard or green beans,but I still liked it (and didn’t even have to pock around the green beans) and my husband LOVED it! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and we still have leftovers to freeze. I served it over rice…definitely coking again!

Charlene says:

I made this for my husband, and he liked it!! I have made several of your recipes and he always likes what I make!! I even have your cookbook!! You are savior when it comes to dinner!! Thanks!!

[...] wanted to make this recipe (Dijon Honey Chicken)…but I had to make quite a few adaptations…I used all my lemon the night [...]

Jim says:

So only 2 breasts? Is there an idea of height in total?

[...] Thursday: Slow Cooker Lemon Honey and Dijon Chicken Dinner by Picky Palate [...]

Denis Billmyer says:

First of all I suggest the author of this website try this recipe before they publish it. I’m an author and I’d be embarrassed to put my name on this. For those of you who read the recipe and said it sounded good, it is not. And for those of you who tried it and said it was wonderful, I want to know what you are smoking. Please tell me this; who in the world thinks 10 cloves of garlic is good in a recipe? We try a lot of nonfat and low-fat recipes because of my gall bladder and this has to be the worst dinner we have ever made. It was sour, runny and a true waste of good chicken. I would definitely pass on this and go for the fresh fruit!!! This is totally not something to make for the Picky Palate.

Carlos B says:

Dennis, you couldn’t be more on point. First of all what kind of recipe calls for leaving in lemon peels? I made this and realized it at the last moment after having mixed everything together and all I could taste was bitter lemon peel. A quarter cup of thyme AND a quarter cup of parsley AND honey mustard?!! This recipe may have LOOKED good but it tasted absolutely disgusting. What a waste of good and fresh ingredients.

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]

Annette says:

I tried a few recipes for the slow cooker and this one even my husband loves. It tastes unusual, but I found some other recipes, there it is called: Greek chicken. I can’t use your size, because we don’t have cups in Germany. But that doesn’t matter, cause I just take as much as I feel comfortably. And I do use 8 – 10 cloves of garlic. Please excuse any mistakes I made. School is longtime ago.

Drika says:

Hey! Thank you so much for this recipe! I had to tweak about a bit, because I didn’t have everything at home, but I had the basic idea. The only problem is… the lemon slices’ peel made the whole mixture bitter! The bitterness overtook the other flavors which probably would have turned out fantastic. I’ll probably just squeeze that lemon juice next time, because I couldn’t take two bites without having to drink something to wash out that bitterness!