Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Feb
2013

Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup

Tags: , , , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

I’ve been having so much fun developing recipes for Valentine’s Day.  The pink, the red, the chocolate is to die for isn’t it?  Makes me want to bake all day long, lol!

Here’s a fair warning, you will eat more than your fair share of these pancakes so be prepared now.  They have the perfect hint of strawberry topped with a Nutella syrup so good that you want to drink it straight from a glass.

Make your sweetheart and family my pancakes for Valentine’s Day, they’ll be happy as can be and love you forever :)

Let’s take a look!

Break out your favorite mixing bowl and add 1 cup of all purpose flour.

Youll add some baking soda and sugar.

Buttermilk and an egg.

…..and a splash of vanilla.

I used 5 medium sized strawberries, chopped them, then took a fork to mash them.

Add the mashed strawberries straight to the bowl.

Give a nice mix.  I added 1 drop of red food coloring to enhance the pink, however it is not necessary.

Spoon a couple tablespoons of batter into a hot non-stick skillet and cook until browned.

Ready for the Nutella Syrup?!  Ok, start with a stick of butter and sugar right into a saucepan.

Add buttermilk then cook until bubbly.  Once bubbly, add baking soda and vanilla.

Your syrup will bubble and foam just like this.

Break out your Nutella and try to not eat the whole jar with a spoon before using in the syrup :)

Into the syrup it goes!

Oh yah!  Wait until you try this.

Stack your pancakes and get ready to eat!

A little syrup please.  Enjoy friends!

Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup

Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup 2t Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 5 medium strawberries
  • 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
  • Nutella Syrup
  • 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 heaping tablespoons Nutella

Directions

1. Place flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, buttermilk, egg and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Finely chop fresh strawberries then take a fork and mash until nicely mashed. Add mashed strawberries to bowl and stir to combine. I added a drop of red food coloring to enhance the pink, but it is completely optional. Spoon a couple tablespoons of batter into a non-stick skillet over medium heat. With spoon, form a round pancake. Let cook until batter starts to bubble, takes about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned, about 1-2 additional minutes. Transfer to plate. Continue until all pancake batter is used. Keep pancakes warm.
  2. To prepare syrup, place butter, sugar and buttermilk into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until melted. When mixture starts to boil reduce heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Syrup will bubble and rise. Remove from heat and stir in Nutella until melted. Drizzle over pancakes.

Makes 4 Servings, 2 pancakes each

Comments

Jenny they look so good! I made my daughter a strawberry bday cake + strawberry buttercream for her bday last weekend and if I made these pancakes, they’d be a huge hit here. Love Nutella, too!

LOdoesmakeup says:

This look so yummy ! Thanks for the recipe, I’m definitely going to try it!
    Love from France

that syrup sounds (and looks) amazing! This combo sounds perfect to sweeten my husbands valentines day (and his birthday!)

Repeat after me : Nutella is our Best friend ! I love this idea of syrup.

nutella syrup will complete my life.

I love the pink pancakes, but that Nutella syrup could probably be consumed on its own with a big straw!

These look divine! We try to do a pancake night once a week. I am adding this to the list!

Joey says:

The pink colour is so pretty! and the nutella syrup is just so creative. I definitely have to try this soon =)

i love the pink on this!! perfect valentine’s breakfast and very festive too :) can i drink that syrup? ;)

katie says:

shut the front door… Nutella syrup!!?!? This sounds amazing.

marla says:

Such a FUN breakfast for a sweet Valentine :)

naomi says:

OMG-So making this for Valentine’s breakfast!!!!

Diane Owens says:

Saw the picture and thought OMG just the thing for my BFF and and me. We both love strawberries and Nutella so had to print us each a copy. Thanks so much.

Becky says:

I’m thinking I don’t even want to know the calorie count on these babies! Will be the perfect valentine’s day breakfast for my son. I’ve been making him a special v-tine’s day breakfast ever since he was just a little guy. I’ll be adding some mini chocolate chips to the pancakes. Thanks for the idea!

Yum! So beautiful and perfect breakfast tomorrow :)

Gaby says:

OMG. I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE NOW!!!!!

Oh these look delicious! And the batter is sooo pretty! :D

The Nutella syrup is genius!! Love this!

Bob says:

Nutella syrup? Are you kidding me? This is pure gold! Love it.

Sibylle says:

Nutella syrup! How fun!!

carrian says:

These sound awesome! Duh, I love strawberries and nutella so of course these are perfect!

Kristy says:

LOVE these!! That Nutella syrup, holy cow!

Oh so lovely!! Perfect for breakfast tomorrow.

I’m with everyone else on the Nutella syrup. YUM!

What a wonderful recipe! I love the pureéd strawberries inside- adds such a wonderful pink color to the batter!

[...] Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup  Picky Palate [...]

Lynna says:

Omg, what fun pancakes! I must try these!

Oh Jenny, these look so scrumptious!!

Becky says:

I made these pancakes this morning for my son’s Valentine’s breakfast that I prepare for him every year – even on a school morning we do a special breakfast. They were decadent! Defintely rich! The syrup sounded a little much with 1 stick of butter so I used 1/2 stick and it was plenty! Added some mini chocolate chips to the pancake batter. My son loved them and said they were chocolatey! Thanks for the great idea and new recipe! I cut out a small heart shaped piece of butter to top it off – very festive!

What a perfect breakfast treat! I think I’m going to have to request this for my birthday….in November (yes, I’m already thinking about it). ;-)

Cindy says:

Made these this morning and it was so good! The Nutella syrup was amazing and so easy! Thanks for the great recipe. :)

Nutella Syrup?? oh man, I’m in trouble this weekend!
    I hope you and your family are doing well! Your new little man is so cute!

Tabitha N says:

Made these today. Let me just say as a family that eats pancakes or French toast every weekend, and who has a hubby who only likes “plain & nothing fancy”. These were a huge hit in my house. Even my teenager who doesn’t like nutella (switched at birth, I think!) Loved these. Hubby said I could make these every weekend from now on. My picky 7 yr. old who doesn’t like pancakes and asked for thirds with these. Huge hit in my house! Thanks!

That stack of strawberry pancakes looks so good and they would be perfect with nutella syrup!

[...] recipe adapted from Picky Palate HERE [...]

Rachel says:

These were very good! I used some leftover strawberry purée instead of the chopped strawberries, so I’m not sure if that’s why the strawberry flavor seemed to get lost. But I’m not complaining, because that syrup is amazing!!! I could drink it from a glass and be in heaven!

[…] looking back at me, and how can you say no?  I hopped onto Pinterest and found this recipe for Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes with Nutella Syrup and thought–hey!  We’ve got strawberries!  Why […]