Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls – Meal Prep
Tags: broccoli, brown rice, chicken, dinner, green beans, lunch, meal prep, quinoa, vegetables, weeknight dinner
Lots of fun going on in my house right now. My husband and I joined 12 other couples in our area for a fun 8 week fitness challenge. Maybe I should delete the word fun, lol!
For 8 weeks we’ll be challenged to earn daily points in 5 categories:
1. 7 points for Exercising 45 minutes a day. 3 points for 30 minutes a day 5 days maximum. 2 days for rest.
2. 5 points for not eating sweets, however you’re allowed 3 sweets per week of your choice without being docked points. Any additional sweet above 3 each is docked 5 points.
3. 5 points for eating at least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit daily.
4. 2 points for drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily.
5. 2 points for not eating past 8:30pm.
Each couple put in $40 and there are prizes at the end for those with the most points. We are on week two and so far so good. I stuck to my allowed 3 sweets for the week and I will say it was pretty challenging. Yesterday, I baked some cookies that will be posted next week and I was tempted to dig in, but my husband and my teammate would have cracked the whip. It will be good for me to gain some self control, lol!
My husband and I decided we wanted to try the meal prep world by preparing a weeks worth of food before hand. These Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls were soooo good and it was so convenient having them prepared and ready to eat. The website we got the idea from is called Fit Men Cook. We used his idea of ingredients for the bowl: chicken, rice, quinoa, and vegetables all prepped one time for just about our weeks worth of meals. We chose to make 8 bowls worth of food. This equates to 4 days of meals for 2 people. This allowed us flexibility for the other days to have a different lunch.
Here’s your line-up of ingredients. We decided to add 5 different vegetables to mix it up a little. You could simplify it by using 3 different types. We used THESE tupperware containers and they worked great for our portions.
You’ll need 16 ounces of cooked quinoa and 16 ounces of cooked brown rice. Cook them both according to package directions. We cooked extra so we could freeze some and save for future meals.
Roast your veggies. Note that the cauliflower takes longer to cook, so I recommend putting the cauliflower on it’s own baking sheet.
Here we have french haricot vert green beans, asparagus, and brussels sprouts. Asparagus only takes 7 minutes to roast so those come out early.
Here is the post-cooked line up. This is what makes up your “bowls.” Again, you can ease up the process by choosing 3 or less different types of vegetables. We cooked 5 different types for diversity and added 1.5 cups worth to each meal.
Roasted cauliflower. This is my favorite. So flavorful! Here is the recipe.
My Grilled Taco Lime Chicken, cubed.
Roasted asparagus, ready to go.
A bit of charred corn. See my recipe and photos HERE.
Roasted haricot verts.
For this meal prep, we documented the approximate calories and the price of the meals. Please keep in mind these are approximate nutrition values and will vary based on the ingredients you use.
NUTRITION VALUES (excludes chicken marinade):
With 4oz chicken breast, 4 oz asparagus, 4 oz broccoli, 4 oz cauliflower, 1/4 cup of brown jasmine rice, 1/4 cup quinoa
-444 calories- -11.5g fat- -3g saturated fat- -135mg sodium- -52g carbohydrates- -9g fiber- -2g sugar- -33g protein-
$4.71 per meal of mostly organic ingredients (vegetables used in this price are asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower).
$3.34 when we used non-organic, non-free range chicken.
MEAL PREP TIME:
-These 8 meals took Cullen and I about 2 hours but that includes the photo shoot. We figure it will take one skilled cook or two novice cooks 1 to 1.5 hours.
-For the best chicken flavor, marinate the chicken for 5 to 8 hours, or overnight.
Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls
Ingredients (Makes 8 Meals)
- 16 ounces cooked quinoa
- 16 ounces cooked brown rice
- 4 cups/32 ounces roasted asparagus, chopped
- 4 cups/32 ounces roasted broccoli florets
- 4 cups/32 ounces roasted cauliflower florets
- 32 ounces prepared Grilled Taco Lime Chicken, cubed
Optional (would replace any of the vegetables above)
- 4 cups haricot verts
- 4 cups roasted brussel sprouts
- 4 cups charred corn
- To prepare your bowls, we used THESE tupperware containers for all 8 of our bowls. They are 3-cup To Go snack containers. Place 1/4 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup quinoa into each container. Top with a total of 1 1/2 cups of your cooked vegetables. Mix up the type of vegetables for each bowl so you have a variety each day. Add 4 ounces or 1/2 cup of your cubed chicken. We added salsa or hot sauce to season to our liking after we reheated the bowl in the microwave. A low fat dressing would work as well. Store these in the refrigerator and when you are ready microwave until heated through.
Note: To roast vegetables, place them onto a large baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook in oven at 375 degrees until fork tender. Time will vary depending on vegetable.
Makes 8 Meals
This post contains affiliate links.