Sep
2013

Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls – Meal Prep

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Dinner

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-16t

Lots of fun going on in my house right now.  My husband and I joined 12 other couples in our area for a fun 8 week fitness challenge.  Maybe I should delete the word fun, lol!

For 8 weeks we’ll be challenged to earn daily points in 5 categories.  Check out this website for all of the details :)

Each couple put in $40 and there are prizes at the end for those with the most points.  We are on week two and so far so good.  I stuck to my allowed 3 sweets for the week and I will say it was pretty challenging.  Yesterday, I baked some cookies that will be posted next week and I was tempted to dig in, but my husband and my teammate would have cracked the whip. :)  It will be good for me to gain some self control, lol!

My husband and I decided we wanted to try the meal prep world by preparing a weeks worth of food before hand.  These Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls were soooo good and it was so convenient having them prepared and ready to eat.  The website we got the idea from is called Fit Men Cook.  We used his idea of ingredients for the bowl: chicken, rice, quinoa, and vegetables all prepped one time for just about our weeks worth of meals.  We chose to make 8 bowls worth of food.  This equates to 4 days of meals for 2 people.  This allowed us flexibility for the other days to have a different lunch.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-2

Here’s your line-up of ingredients.  We decided to add 5 different vegetables to mix it up a little. You could simplify it by using 3 different types.  We used THESE tupperware containers and they worked great for our portions.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-1

Grill up my Taco and Lime Chicken to get started.  Here’s an idea of what I use for an indoor grill pan.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-3

You’ll need 16 ounces of cooked quinoa and 16 ounces of cooked brown rice.  Cook them both according to package directions.  We cooked extra so we could freeze some and save for future meals.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-4

Roast your veggies.  Note that the cauliflower takes longer to cook, so I recommend putting the cauliflower on it’s own baking sheet.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-5

Here we have french haricot vert green beans, asparagus, and brussels sprouts.  Asparagus only takes 7 minutes to roast so those come out early.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-7

Here is the post-cooked line up.  This is what makes up your “bowls.”  Again, you can ease up the process by choosing 3 or less different types of vegetables.  We cooked 5 different types for diversity and added 1.5 cups worth to each meal.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-9

Brown rice.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-10

Roasted cauliflower.  This is my favorite.  So flavorful!  Here is the recipe.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-11

My Grilled Taco Lime Chicken, cubed.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-12

Roasted asparagus, ready to go.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-13

A bit of charred corn.  See my recipe and photos HERE.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-14

Roasted haricot verts.

For this meal prep, we documented the approximate calories and the price of the meals.  Please keep in mind these are approximate nutrition values and will vary based on the ingredients you use.

NUTRITION VALUES (excludes chicken marinade):
With 4oz chicken breast, 4 oz asparagus, 4 oz broccoli, 4 oz cauliflower, 1/4 cup of brown jasmine rice, 1/4 cup quinoa
-444 calories-    -11.5g fat-   -3g saturated fat-   -135mg sodium-   -52g carbohydrates-   -9g fiber-   -2g sugar-   -33g protein-

PRICE:
$4.71 per meal of mostly organic ingredients (vegetables used in this price are asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower).
$3.34 when we used non-organic, non-free range chicken.

MEAL PREP TIME:
-These 8 meals took Cullen and I about 2 hours but that includes the photo shoot.  We figure it will take one skilled cook or two novice cooks 1 to 1.5 hours.
-For the best chicken flavor, marinate the chicken for 5 to 8 hours, or overnight.

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-18t

Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls

GrilledChickenVeggieBowls-Meal Prep-7Ingredients (Makes 8 Meals)

• 16 ounces cooked quinoa
  • 16 ounces cooked brown rice
  • 4 cups/32 ounces roasted asparagus, chopped
  • 4 cups/32 ounces roasted broccoli florets
  • 4 cups/32 ounces roasted cauliflower florets
  • 32 ounces prepared Grilled Taco Lime Chicken, cubed

Optional (would replace any of the vegetables above)

• 4 cups haricot verts
  • 4 cups roasted brussel sprouts
  • 4 cups charred corn

Directions

1. To prepare your bowls, we used THESE tupperware containers for all 8 of our bowls. They are 3-cup To Go snack containers. Place 1/4 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup quinoa into each container. Top with a total of 1 1/2 cups of your cooked vegetables. Mix up the type of vegetables for each bowl so you have a variety each day.  Add 4 ounces or 1/2 cup of your cubed chicken. We added salsa or hot sauce to season to our liking after we reheated the bowl in the microwave.  A low fat dressing would work as well.  Store these in the refrigerator and when you are ready microwave until heated through.

Note: To roast vegetables, place them onto a large baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook in oven at 375 degrees until fork tender. Time will vary depending on vegetable.

Makes 8 Meals

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

I don’t do it as often as I like, but prepping our lunches ahead of time always makes life a little easier! Great recipe – thanks for sharing! :)

3 sweets a week?!? I think I might eat 3 sweets at DAY! And maybe more. ;) Hmmm…I think I need a little challenge myself.

Aggie says:

This is awesome Jenny!! Looks delicious! My husband has been really working hard at the gym, and eating well. This whole meal process would help both of us in a few weeks when I’m ready to start dropping the preggo lbs. I need a new grill pan – going to check yours out! :)

Great great post!! And good luck with the challenge!!

A year later and I’m still working off those preggo pounds, lol! This is good for me, but those 3 sweets a week are killer! Can’t wait to meet that sweet baby!!

I think I need this challenge! My sweet intake is a little out of control! Will you be done by October? I hope so:) And then maybe we need to start a blogging challenge:)

What a terrific idea to join forces. It’s got to make it so much more fun. Great idea for meal prep too. I get teased a lot for making double batches of meals, but it’s a great way to have a healthy lunch or quick dinner later.

I have been trying to think of easy ideas and not the same boring salads for lunches! Can’t wait to try it!

Wow – three sweets a week?!? I’m impressed!

Can’t wait to hear how everything goes. These chicken veggie bowls look great!!

The challenge sounds fun and these healthy rice and quinoa bowls are a great way to go!

ok, this challenge is seriously FUN and competitive so that would make me want to try harder just to win!! i love what a great idea is to portion all this out so you don’t overeat! smart!!!! i’m getting back into the gym and this post is awesome!

Nicola M. says:

I love seeing the prep updates on Fit Men Cook too! I’ve been meaning to buy myself some new Tupperware to start the prep work, so thanks for the rundown! This totally looks like something I can do!

Unless I missed it already, how LONG did the food prep take you overall?

Good luck with your challenge!! I’d seriously fail just because of the sweets.

This looks SO GOOD!!

I just ran to the store and stocked up on veggies and good food yesterday — I’ve got to lose the rest of this baby weight before the holidays!!

Em says:

Do you think it would work to freeze these individual meals and reheat in the microwave from frozen? Any ideas how to make that more possible?

We haven’t tried freezing. We kept them in the fridge for the week and they were fine. There shouldn’t be a problem freezing the meals. I’d buy the freezer ziplocks for this. :)

That is SO awesome!! My husband and I have actually started our own “reset” with school starting and it feels good :) Best of lucj to you guys! (By the way the chicken veggie bowls look great!!)

I love these grab-and-go lunch ideas! And the challenge sounds so fun. I’m always wondering how you can resist all those amazing treats you make ;)

Heather says:

I think that challenge sounds really fun! Granted, I don’t know if I could get my hubby on board with something like that, but these veggie bowls would certainly help ;)

Christie says:

These sound yummy! I think I would skip the quinoa/rice on a day or two and add the chicken and veggies to lettuce with a light vinegarette! Thanks for the inspiration!

Michaela says:

Can’t thank you enough for always sharing your fabulous recipes! Your grilled lime chicken is my go-to while trying to get healthier! So easy and so flavorful! Love! Can’t wait to add the veggies and prep my week!

Angela Fielding says:

This is an awesome post! Thank you!!

What a fun idea, Jenny! I love making meals ahead and these Chicken Veggie Bowls look fabulous!

This is such a fun great challenge! I love that idea, I think I should start something with friends.. we’re all competitive so it could get dirty! :)

Loving, loving, loving this idea!

I get over-the-top competitive when there are points and other “players” involved, so I’d more than likely become obsessed at winning this competition! Maybe not such a bad thing ;)
    You have me really tempted to play along too!
    I don’t drink any sodas or any juices (just coffee, tea and water for me), but if my fiance did this with me, are those beverages considered sweets or are they just not addressed to save everyone some sanity? Bc he drinks those like a camel!

Diet drinks are ok in our challenge, however each week we have an “extra” challenge and this week is no soda at all. You can really do whatever you’d like :)

I think this challenge is a fantastic idea! Great idea on the veggie bowl prep:)

Connie says:

Love this! I’ve been prepping my meals for a couple months now and it has saved me a lot of money and time on food. No more buying lunches at work, and making drives to the closest fast food spot after the gym (after work). Good luck! Can’t wait to see the results at the end of the challenge. However, the real challenge is making the changes for good for your health :-)

naomi says:

OMG-How cool! I think it’s great you two are doing it together. I can’t wait to hear more about it has you guys progress.

Gaby says:

LOVE prepping the meals ahead of time!! makes life so much easier and temptations are way easier to resist!

Lori says:

These look so good! But we are doing Weight Watchers and when I plugged in the stats it comes to 14 points for one bowl! That is a lot of WW points for one meal!

Nicola M. says:

400-500 calories for a meal is quite standard. What gives you the most points from these bowls? The rice/quinoa, perhaps? Could you substitute?

What a fun challenge! Good for you guys!

marla says:

Such a great idea ~ gotta love the prep!

Taylor says:

Love the challenge idea! I am trying to talk my hubby and friends into doing something like this! Would you mind sharing your “weekly challenges?” Also, what constitutes as a sweet? Any calorie limits? Thanks!!! Excited!!!

judy says:

Sounds like a terrific challenge! Just out of curiosity, what are you eating for breakfast and what are you eating for dinner? I need some ideas for those meals!

I’m thinking I need that kind of challenge in my life. The sweets eating is getting out of control. The last few days I have been only eating fruits and veggies…not the easiest when I bake all the time, but like you said, it is good for self control! Good luck with the challenge!

[…] – Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls from Picky […]

Julia says:

Hi Jenny!! Your meal prep looks amazing! I’m thinking of starting on your challenge too but just wondering, what size of ‘sweets’ are allowed for your challenge? Like one small grape gummy bear vs a big cupcake?

The 3 sweets a week we consider usually 1 serving. So, if you eat half a cake then that would be multiple sweets. If you eat a gummy bear then, yes, that’d be the same….so you might as well have a small handful of gummy bears for 1 sweet.:) My husband had a triple scoop of ice cream last week and he considered that 3 sweets.

Liam says:

Great article. I’ve got to say though, you’re nutritional values are off!
    A gram of carbohydrates or protein is kcals, A gram of fat is 9 kcals.

11.5g fat = 103.5
    68g carbohydrates = 272
    44g protein = 176

That is 551.5 kcals in total, not 418. Still, very healthy and a good balance of macronutrients.

Carrie says:

That looks delicious, nice and healthy and tasty, always a bonus to get it all wrapped up into one dish. I just love how practical your recipes are. I never feel like I have to make a special trip to the store to make what you post.

Those rules seem like I could follow them, except for the eating after 8:30pm part, I work the night shift and if I did that I would barely eat anything! I wonder what the night-shift equivalent of that is?

Marit says:

I am usually good about prepping meals for the week on Sundays – I actually enjoy it! Some good ideas to add to my line-up; I have brown rice and quinoa on hand so I might do a mix now to change things up.

Caroline says:

I love healthy meals like this that combine everything in one bowl! And prepping ahead is such a smart way to go about it…makes eating healthy so much simpler! Pinning this now…looking forward to making it soon!

This is absolutely brilliant!!!! How is the challenge going?? So proud of you!! Keep it up!

Cami D. says:

I LOVE THIS! Several of the Chaparral peeps (myself included) are doing the same thing right now!! Best of luck – so so so looking forward to more posts like this since I’ve cut gluten out!

Peggi says:

Hi Jenny, Just this week I was told by my doctor that I cannot EVER eat out again, do to a liver disease…I have to avoid all preservatives, SODIUM and anyhting in a package…I cannot wait to try this..I will let you know how it goes…thank you for your post..Peggi

[…] Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowls Meal Prep (Picky Palate) Calorie Burner: How Much Better Is Standing Than Sitting? (BBC […]

Mari says:

I think I found this recipe a month ago, and my husband and I eat one when we are hungry and don’t want to cook – it’s a healthy, simple way to have frozen meals!

Additionally, I don’t know what taco seasoning you used, but MRS DASH makes one! That means salt-free! I was so thrilled when I found it in the store!

Lindsay says:

Just made this for my lunches for the week and had some for dinner, delicious! I roasted the broccoli and cauliflower the same way (to your recipie) but took the broccoli out before broiling. I only made quinoa and cooked it in sodium free chicken broth for a little extra flavor!

I love planning lunches ahead and this bardic frame sets up so many different options! I’ll be using this one often, thanks!

Elliott says:

Ok, might sounds dumb but do yall heat up the meals or just eat them cold?

Stacey says:

I just made this for my lunches and it looks so good. I have been needing to get back to healthy eating. I made them up and put them in the freezer. The grilled taco lime chicken is excellent.

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]

James says:

Wow, this is basically my lunch every day!

In the summer I have a salad of greens, peppers, corn, couscous, feta cheese, beetroot and of course chicken! Now winter is coming I am switching to veg. My preference is for a little less carbohydrate… but each to their own.

Your pictures show me I need to do some presentation work!

Christini says:

I looove this recipe sooo much! <3 thank you Do you think I can try like salmo instead of chicken?