Feb
2014

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe

Had so much fun with this skillet lasagna last week with my mom.  Her and my Dad come over a couple times a week for lunch and to play with Pax, then I snag my mom in the kitchen with me to help me cook and bake, lol!  One of the perks of moving back home to AZ :)

Break out your cast iron skillets and lasagna ingredients for a great weeknight dinner the whole family loves!

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-6

Start by sautéing your onions in some hot olive oil.

pasta

Break 9 sheets of lasagna noodles into pieces then boil for a quick 5 minutes to soften.  Drain and set aside.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-11

Brown 1 pound of your choice of Italian Sausage.  You can use ground beef, turkey or chicken as a substitute.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-12

Once sausage browned, transfer to a large bowl, stir in sauce then spoon 1 cup of meat sauce back into skillet.  Layer with broken pieces of lasagna noodles.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-13

Like so :)

Cheese layer

Scoop or spoon about 8 mounds of ricotta cheese mixture over noodles.

Cheese

Add Parmesan then shredded mozzarella cheese.  Mmmm!

Sauce

Next comes a layer of sauce then start layering again with more noodles.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-23

When you reach the top the  last layer should be noodles, sauce….then scroll down.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-24

Top with lots of shredded mozzarella cheese :)

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-26tt

The kitchen crew, lol!

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-28

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-30t

Should look a little like this.  Nom Nom Nom!  Enjoy!

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe-32t

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna

Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna RecipePrep time: 15 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 45 min

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups white onions, finely chopped
  • 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
  • 26 ounces pasta sauce
  • 9 strips oven ready lasagna noodles
  • 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sautéing until softened. Add sausage, cooking until browned. Add pasta sauce, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer.
  2. Boil broken lasagna noodles for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Drain and set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper.
  4. Spoon about 1 cup of meat sauce into the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Layer evenly with broken pieces of semi-cooked lasagna noodles. Spoon about 8 mounds of ricotta cheese over noodle layer then sprinkle with additional Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce. Continue this layering until you reach the top of the skillet. Top layer should be a layer of noodles, sauce then shredded mozzarella cheese.
  5. Bake skillet lasagna for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly around edges. Remove and let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-8 Servings

Other Picky Palate Lasagna-Style Recipes to try!

Garden Vegetable Lasagna

Italian Sausage Lasagna Stuffed Pizza

Garlic Toasted Open Faced Lasagna Ciabatta

Comments

Lately I’m re-discovering my cast iron skillet for fast dinners and this is awesome, Jenny! Love that gooey cheese! :) pinned

My hubby LOVES lasagna but I never make it because it takes SO MUCH TIME!
    Love this fast version….and SAUSAGE! yum!

You have me craving dinner already!! Looks fantastic :)

Love easy, CHEESY meals like this. My boys would love it too. I want to come back with you guys!!

Yummmy this looks craazzzzyyy good. Cheesey sausage pasta goodness. Comfort food at it’s best

I love all of that cheese!

Lucy says:

Love how easy this is to put together…one-pot meals are the best! This would be great for starving college students learning to cook.

This is my husband’s ideal meal!! And his birthday is next week so this will be happening. <3

Nutmeg Nanny says:

OH man! This looks cheesy and delicious! I love using my cast iron skillet for baking casseroles and pasta dishes. Such a fun idea!

You’re seriously so adorable!! I love how easy this is to make and I love that cheese!!

holy down Jenny- this looks absolutely wonderful. My husband would deb falling all over himself for this!

Okay, this settles it. I need a cast iron skillet! :)

Come to mama!!! Seriously, you are the best MOM! Love this recipe, Jenny!

Charlette says:

Jenny love this dish! I am out the door to get everything so it is on the table for dinner tonight. With a big salad. Also will be doing this for casual dinner party, will be a nice table presentation. But I will need another cast iron but who couldn’t use two!!! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie N says:

I was going to use the ricotta in my fridge for spaghetti pie but this sounds sooooo much better. Great recipe!

Amanda says:

I love it, looks so good, so cheesy! :) xoxo

Deborah says:

So yummy! Thank you! I’m going to try this tonight in my new cast iron pan!
    Have a great day!

All my heart,
    Deborah xo

I love a good cheesy casserole. It’s even better that you made it in the skillet!

Sarah says:

You had me at “cheesy”! What this tells me is that I really need to procure a cast iron skillet, even if it’s JUST for this recipe.

This looks so amazing! No kidding. My kids would devour this. Thanks for the fun dinner idea.

marla says:

Great recipe & I love the use of the skillet. Cute family pic too!!

Gaby says:

This looks extra cheesy and extra delicious! Love the photo of the kitchen crew!

Ugh, all that cheese. You’re killing me! But I love this so so so much!!

Karen says:

This is similar to a recipe I make called lazy lasagna, but this is different because it is still layered instead of all mixed. Yum. Love the sausage! So nice to be near your mom…lucky you!

Jenny, this looks sooo good. It’s time for dinner here and my stomach just growled looking at this….oops, there it goes again! :)

Tieghan says:

I love your family photos. They are the best and so is this lasagna! All the cheesiness looks amazing!

Shari Kelley says:

This recipe looks so delicious! I can’t wait to make it for my husband. I think he will love it. It is so nice that your mom and dad live close by. My parents live down the street, and we are so happy about that. I hope your move to Arizona is going well. It takes a while to get used to a new place. I grew up here and appreciate it now. I think it grows on you. Especially with the weather we have been having lately. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

[…] Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna from Picky Palate […]

There must be something in the air, lasagna is everywhere! Or maybe I’ve just been thinking about it a lot. Ha! I’m kind of obsessed with finding easier ways to make lasagna, loving this skillet version. So cheesy and so perfect.

[…] Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna – Picky Palate http://picky-palate.com/Whip up my Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna for your family this week! Quicker than traditional lasagna with the same irresistible flavors! Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna Recipe. Had so much fun with this skillet lasagna last … […]

I loved it , making it was so simple and it turned out really awesome . Thank you for the recipe it’s a keeper !!!

I adore lasagna and this recipe looks delicious! More gooey cheese the better!!

This looks amazing I need to invest in a skillet asap!

Such a great idea for lasagna! I need to try this version – it looks way more cooler and easier than using a 9 x 13!

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to picky-palate.com […]

Wowguy says:

How can you go wrong with Lasagna! Cute presentation!!!!