Whip up my Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna for your family this week! Quicker than traditional lasagna with the same irresistible flavors!
Had so much fun with this skillet lasagna last week with my mom. Her and my Dad come over a couple times a week for lunch and to play with Pax, then I snag my mom in the kitchen with me to help me cook and bake, lol! One of the perks of moving back home to AZ 🙂
Break out your cast iron skillets and lasagna ingredients for a great weeknight dinner the whole family loves!
Start by sautéing your onions in some hot olive oil.
Break 9 sheets of lasagna noodles into pieces then boil for a quick 5 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
Brown 1 pound of your choice of Italian Sausage. You can use ground beef, turkey or chicken as a substitute.
Once sausage browned, transfer to a large bowl, stir in sauce then spoon 1 cup of meat sauce back into skillet. Layer with broken pieces of lasagna noodles.
Like so 🙂
Scoop or spoon about 8 mounds of ricotta cheese mixture over noodles.
Add Parmesan then shredded mozzarella cheese. Mmmm!
Next comes a layer of sauce then start layering again with more noodles.
When you reach the top the last layer should be noodles, sauce….then scroll down.
Top with lots of shredded mozzarella cheese 🙂
The kitchen crew, lol!
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Should look a little like this. Nom Nom Nom! Enjoy!
Cheesy Sausage Skillet Lasagna
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 45 min
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 9 strips oven ready lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sautéing until softened. Add sausage, cooking until browned. Add pasta sauce, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Boil broken lasagna noodles for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 1 cup of meat sauce into the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Layer evenly with broken pieces of semi-cooked lasagna noodles. Spoon about 8 mounds of ricotta cheese over noodle layer then sprinkle with additional Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce. Continue this layering until you reach the top of the skillet. Top layer should be a layer of noodles, sauce then shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake skillet lasagna for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly around edges. Remove and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6-8 Servings
Other Picky Palate Lasagna-Style Recipes to try!
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.