You are going to love these Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges! A fun dinner recipe the whole family will go nuts for!
So many fun memories writing this post today. I was contacted by Martha White to feature my 2007 winning Cornbread Cook-off recipe for their Virtual Cornbread Potluck 2015! Be sure to scroll down past the recipe and see the other bloggers who joined in the fun.
Many of you probably don’t know that quite a few years ago I started my cooking career as a competitive cook! It’s funny even saying that because I am not really a competitive person! I really enjoyed writing recipes and just kind of fell into this fun world of competing. One of my favorite cook-off’s was definitely the Martha White Cornbread Cook-Off in 2007. Here I am preparing my dish for the judges. Talk about being a nervous wreck! I remember getting all of my cute food props at World Market. My father-in-law flew with us and the boys and we got to play in TN for a few days. The Cornbread Festival was so much fun. So much good food to try.
So…..did I win the cook-off? …..
That’s me, I won! I got the famous skillet champion hat plus $5000 to take home. What a fun weekend that was.
I ended up competing from 2004-about 2007. So many great memories and friends made. I’ll never forget it. When I was done competing, I started Picky Palate and here I am still creating recipes. It’s the perfect job for me 🙂
Hope you enjoy my winning cornbread recipe, give it a try, you’ll be glad you did!!
Chicken Taco Cornbread Wedges
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 40 min
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large egg
- 1 (7 oz.) pkg. Martha White® Sweet Yellow Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded romaine
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Combine ranch dressing, salsa and 1 cup cilantro leaves in a small food processor or blender. Process until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- HEAT olive oil in 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken, 3 tablespoons cilantro, salt, cumin, pepper and tomatoes with green chilies; cook 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with paper towel; grease.
- BEAT egg in large bowl. Add cornbread mix and milk; mix well. Place tortilla chips in greased skillet. Pour cornbread mixture over chips. Spoon chicken mixture over cornbread mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. BAKE 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Top with romaine and tomatoes; drizzle with dressing.
Makes 6 Servings
Be sure to check out my blogging friends for more Cornbread recipes!
- Brandie from The Country Cook
- Christin from Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Christy from Southern Plate
- Jenny from Picky Palate
- Linda from Southern Pantry
- Melissa from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
- Paula from Call Me PMC
- Robyn from Add a Pinch
- Stacey from Southern Bite
- Stephanie from Plain Chicken
- Tina from Mommy’s Kitchen
This post is in partnership with Martha White, however thoughts and recipes are my own. All photos via Martha White/National Cornbread Cookoff 2007.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.