Sharing our favorite taco meat recipe today! The only taco meat you’ll need for taco night. So simple to prepare and seasoned just right. This will quickly become a new favorite weeknight recipe.
Taco Meat Recipe
When it comes to tacos, you need a simple taco meat recipe that has just the right seasonings without being too seasoned for all of your toppings.
How To Brown Ground Beef
- Browning ground beef is an easy process. Place the ground meat in a skillet (preferably a nonstick skillet) and cook over medium-high heat. The most important part to browning ground beef is using a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula to break up the ground beef into equal-size pieces as it cooks. This ensures that all the ground beef pieces cook evenly.
- If your ground meat is very lean, and especially if your skillet isn’t nonstick, you may want to heat a small amount of cooking oil — about 1 to 2 teaspoons — in the skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground meat. This will help to keep the meat from sticking.
- On most stove tops, browning ground beef should take approximately 7 to 10 minutes for 1 pound of meat. It’s important to continue stirring and breaking the pieces into the same size with the wooden spoon or heatproof spatula so the ground beef cooks evenly. It’s easy to tell when your meat is ready — it should all be brown with no apparent pinkish pieces.
- When the ground beef is fully browned, the final step is to drain the fat. Remember to be careful because you’re working with hot fat. Carefully tilt the pan so the liquid fat falls to one side. Using a slotted spoon, push the meat to the other side of the pan and scoop it out onto a paper-towel-lined plate. Once the paper towels have absorbed any remaining fat, the beef is ready to be used in your favorite recipes.
Ground Beef Taco Recipe
Best Toppings For Tacos
- Sour Cream
- Hot sauce
- Green onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry's garlic salt
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce such as Cholula
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Cook and crumble until browned. Drain fat if needed. Stir in salsa, cumin, hot sauce and lime juice. Reduce heat to simmer until ready to serve.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board!
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.